1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready any good books/ watched good tv recently?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sotv, May 30, 2014.

1. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I'm looking for some extra reading (preferably historical, economic theory but game of thones type books will also do ). I'm reading "Capital: in the twenty first century" at the moment and tried to read some American history books but the historian was an incredibly full writer compared to the likes of Tyerman and runciman(crusades) so I gave up. I was also reading game of thrones until it got spoiled for me by a friend (still haven't forgiven tem :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).
    So if any can recommend a good:
    1) history book (American civil war or other modern history topics)
    2) one similar to game of thrones
    3) just came to mind a tv series me and my boyfriend can binge watch :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (so far we watched DBZ, 30 rock and game of thrones)
    Then it'd be appreciated :slight_smile:

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Keep on with Game of Thrones, lol. I remember when I was reading the first book, my brother came in and he was all "oh, isn't that the book where Ned Stark ___________________?"

I'd only gotten to the part where the Starks leave for King's Landing. And I was all "FUCK YOU- WHAT THE HELL YOU MEAN ________________ happens?"

But I kept reading anyway, lol.

1) 1776 by ...the guy who did the president biographies.

2) Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Not exactly along the same lines but if you liked Game of Thrones, might like that.

3) Breaking Bad?

I myself am reading "The Omnivore's Dilema" by Michael Pollan and "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (since it's kinda one of those books I've been meaning to see what the fuss is about forever). Just got through the first 2 seasons of Sherlock, catching up on American Horror Story.

3. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I read a quick one, a good one, "Don't think of an elephant" - George Lakoff. Excellent! Cheap too on Amazon.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Oh and would like to throw a bone out there to "600 Hours of Edward" by Craig Lancaster. Really good.

5. DangerAlex

I tend to read nonfiction books in general and books on biology, physics, astrophysics, and anthropology in particular, so you probably wouldn't like anything I'd suggest. Any fiction I read would fall under the "classic lit" category, which doesn't sound like your cup of proverbial tea either.

But happy hunting!

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez. Unfortunately, I had to read it in English (translation really detracts from the style) but I'm getting the Spanish original whenever I can find it.

And I actually enjoyed Madame Bovary by G. Flaubert. I read it for school along with Chronicle, but it's a good book. Some criticise it for being boring, but that's actually a well-written aspect to it; the boredom helps engage in the plot and the social commentary is really good for literary analysis and social history.

And I've been reading the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer, which is old-fashioned, but really comprehensive. The name is pretty self-explanatory.