1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Something] Walrus needs a Friend [Fishy]

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by InaRut, Aug 14, 2008.

1. InaRut

So I'm having a little dilema. At my res I'm allowed to have a fish as a pet. And because there's nothing more fun then having a pet above all other university responsabilities I thought wouldn't it be neat to have a little fish to help me study.

Because that's what fishes do.
    (Blub Blub, drop the beer can you need to study for your mid-term Blub blub)
    Except here is the problem. I don't want a Goldfish and I don't want a Beta fish. The reason I don't want a goldfish (and I might just have to get one) is that they are boring. And everyone is gonna have a goldfish. And the reason I don't want a Beta fish is because my roomates might get annoying after the 100th,

"DUUUDDDEE We should like tottaly fight that fish with another fish. That'd be AWESSSOMEEE."

So I looked at Hermit Crabs, and Fiddler Crabs and they both are way to high maitence. So sadly they are out of the picture. And I thought I could get a hermit crab but I don't think a 10 gallon tank would fit in my room very well.

So what I'm looking for is a pet...it has to be aquatic...so no mice or rats or anything...that I could keep as a pet in a goldfish bowl (no filter or anything).

But I'm guessing it's only Beta's and Goldfishes. And I kinda like Beta's more cause there pretty but drunken assholes are drunken assholes and I don't want to deal with it. Also I can have two male goldfishies in my bowl and they can be BEST FRIENDS or more.

*Giggle*

Edit: Neons are in to...but they are small and they suck.

#1 InaRut, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. You need a ten gallon tank for a hermit crab? :eek: Guess that explains why mine died. :icon_redf

Hmmm... I'm think it's probably a beta or a goldfish. I've never seen any other kind of fish in a bowl. It might be nice to have two though, and obviously you can't have two betafishes because they'll eat each other. And you know, you can get goldfish that are different colours- we had an orange one named Andre and a white one named Tony (like from that movie about the seal!).

OH! What about sea monkeys? (Sorry. That's kind of lame, just a thought.) Or a water frog? We had them in fourth grade and they live for a long time. Actually, we had three of them... but wait. Dammit. They lived in tanks.

Sorry! This isn't much help. I'll keep thinking about it though. ~megan~

3. panda

How about a worm farm?? You can see all the little tunnels from the side and if you want to go fishing.......

4. InaRut

Worms don't help study. They just dig and stuff. You can talk to fish though. And they listen. Yep they do :slight_smile:

5. abyssx3

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I keep scorpions...but i don't think you'll find those interesting.

6. xxAngelOnFirexx

i have three beta (all in separeate containers) and they are very pretty. you can deccorate their tank with shells or colored glass stones to make it pretty. you can get creative with their tanks too. like one of mine is in a vase with a candle holder on top. the others are in a 5 gallon fish tank with a separator in the middle so they don't get to each other. i've seen martini shaped fish tanks at the pet store though. their good because they don't need much room and i found that they can go unfed for a short while, so if you forget about them they don't die very easy. :icon_wink

7. Bryan90

Get a Terrapin (turtle)! Low maintenance except when they grow all big like 4 years later. And they are so cute and so fun top play with!

8. Helen

Helen Guest

Well, you could hide the fishy whenever your mates decide to get drunk, maybe?

It might not take to being shoved into a cupboard very well, but just remind it gently that it's for it's own good :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Just get what you want, and hopefully your roommates will be lovely people who'll respect the fishy's privacy? *hopeful face*

9. sayitforreals

I don't know if it is proper care or even if you can buy them, but when i was younger we had two tiny turtles in a fish bowl. no filter or anything, they lived for like a year, well really, we kept them for like a year and then let them go.

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I like angel fish. However, I don't know if they need a filter. I guess you would have to ask that at the pet store.

I would be afraid a frog would hop right out of the bowl. You don't want anything that jumps. I had an aquarium for my kids when they were little. We got these fish that we didn't know were jumpers and there was no top on the back of the tank. Well they were all dead on the floor the next morning. Yuck. Stupid fish...don't they know they need to stay in water???

Another time, we caught tadpoles at the lake because I wanted my kids to see them turn into frogs. Not a bright idea Becky. We got up the next morning. The water was spilled on the floor and the tadpoles were gone. The cat had a tasty dinner. :eek:

11. TriBi

And now for something completely different...

How about a nice python? (OK, yes, I do realise it isn't a fish. Much more of a talking point tho'.:grin:).

12. awesomeap88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is it just me or is there a subtle reference to Monty Python in there?

13. TriBi

^ Well - not so subtle - and it did seem appropriate in the circumstances...

14. grapevine fires

You could always get snails... They're not the most entertaining of creatures, but .. they get the job done, i suppose :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Ahh get a cray fish!! i had one there entertainin to watch, dotn need much water for them just simple stuff.. the only thing about them is that they attack you, i took mine out for a walk ~_~ and it used it pincers on me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, it was the best pet ever.. but it died when it escaped, -.- , plus thery're cheap to buy

16. Fiorino

Hmm, have you considered either a turtle or a seahorse?
    Either one would be awesome. Something to remember is
    that most Goldfish bowls are actually too small for the needs
    of a goldfish (aka you will have to clean it more often and the
    goldfish might feel a little crammed), so you should go for
    a tank with a filter. Betas however, are usually fine in small
    bowls.

17. InaRut

Yea I heard somewhere that beta females are nicer fish and don't fight. Which also means that Samuri Fish+Chick= Naming her Beatrix Kiddo for excellence! I'm looking at a beta now...or some neons. Really I guess I have to talk to the store owner. 7 Fish and call them the magnificant 7 :slight_smile:. Or 88 and have the Crazy 88's (Even though there wasn't really 88 of them).

Now problem with snakes and scorpions and such is that although it'd be awesome to have them (I've always wanted a reptile) I don't think they are allowed. I think it's purely aquatics only. And really I think my choices are

-Neons
    -Goldfish
    -Beta.

I don't know. I guess I should talk to a pet store owner and see what he says. And hopefully Becky and I won't share the same curse when it comes to taking care of fish.

Thanks guys!

18. SamAlex728

I like mollies and angelfish, but I'm not sure if they'd be able to live in a fishbowl

19. panda

Mr. Walrus, I had wrong when I said worm farm. I actually meant ant farm. Think of all the hours of entertainment that you could have watching the little guys tunneling, bringing food back to Ant Central,fighting, mating.You could have favourites.
    And then if you're bored there's always the old "Magnifying Glass Game"
    Think about it. You'd be unique.All the guys would be saying, " Hey!!! Let's go over the the Walrus's to see the ants.>>>>>>>>:icon_bigg

20. Tom

Tom Guest

=0 I'm not allowed any pets where ill be staying =[

but u shud definitely get a turtle and then teach it to break dance!!!!!!