1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it just me or are we smarter?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by QueerTransEnby, May 30, 2014.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not trying to sound discriminatory here honestly, but it seems the LGBT community is a couple IQ points over the straight community. Maybe it is just this board? :grin: No, I'm not saying we are all rocket scientists, but it seems like we all defend our points so well despite any disagreements we may have. And no, I am not saying that LGBT folks have the exclusive key to intelligence by any means.

I just notice the younger people on this board have good grammar and are quite logical as opposed to some of the other message boards I have visited or moderated in the past. Thoughts? I am not trying to suck up either, I promise.

2. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I feel since we're normally on defense, we know how to play it best.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is very true. When you are passionate about something, you are willing to research and invest in time to defend it.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think IQ is rubbish which should not be valued at all.

I think it's that EC has a style which encourages more formal writing. EC doesn't allow for each point to be addressed individually in an entirely conversational way, so we're forced to write clear and structured messages so that we can get our message across. That's what I feel is the best example of the logic and grammar you're talking about.

This is a sort of informal education forum in a way. Many questions are about LGBT issues, as well as plenty others. Queer people are often a lot more receptive to other social issues, though that doesn't mean we don't have our fair share of stupidity, privilege and ignorance. It helps that the subjects require near-formal discussion to be adequately covered.

Straight people generally don't have straight-specific forums like this, so there's not many places where you can judge straight people in the same way. Also, given that EC already values good support, friendliness, intelligent and civil discussion (which is strictly enforced to prevent problems getting out of hand), we attract people wanting that, and those who want something else are less likely to come.

5. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

^^ Yes, I agree, we definitely are more open-minded to things than the average person, it's how we grow up as LGBT people.

6. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't grow up that way. Once I started the gradual process out of denial, I adapted to that way of thinking. It was more or less breaking loose of how I was raised.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think non-straight people are any smarter; it's just that the ones people listen to probably are. The dumb ones are out doing things dumb straight people are doing, except with the same sex XD.

8. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I grew up that way even in denial, I was fighting for rights that I didn't even want to believe were mine.

9. chi29

I don't know, but sometimes I feel it and its not just me, I can see it in other people too. By my experience we are more creative and open minded due to our status btu thats just me. :slight_smile:

10. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Meh, it's a possibility, just thinking overall:

LGBT people need to learn how to lie about things on the spot for before they are out of the closet, LGBT people are naturally more open to different mindsets and are thus more accepting comparatively to bigots who are homophobic and don't try to understand and LGBT people have that time where they are only thinking about themselves and who they are which, I can't speak for every straight person, but it seems that not many heterosexual people reflect upon themselves as heavily as the LGBT community.

Then again I have a handful of friends I know who aren't smart and don't take anything seriously, are failing multiple subjects because they don't understand- not because they choose not to do work. EC is simply a message board with a higher concentration of intelligence I suppose.

11. justjade

We are, aren't we? :wink:

12. calgary

Haha. Most of my friends think I'm smart. But really, not chasing women left me with a lot more free time on my hand to read useless facts lol.

13. Sitri

Hah! I'm not smart! Therefore your theory is false! Hoo...ray? Seriously, I'm a proper moron, and most of the people smarter than me are straight.

14. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm as dumb as a box of rocks my um uh what do u call it um well it's 2.2 on a 4.0

15. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't consider myself smart by any stretch of the word. People just call me smart because I remember things that was beaten into my head years ago. I have a knack for remembering things. But hey, if people consider me smart, I am no position to argue.

16. tulipinacup

I don't think I consider myself as smart but I just think I am good at hiding my weaknesses and I highlight the things I am familiar with as much as possible.

17. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen a thread like this before. I'll give the same kind of answer as last time. I've not seen any evidence that LGBT people are smarter than straight people and quite frankly it's extremely arrogant to assert such. Sexual orientation and intelligence have no correlation.

Most if the smartest people I know are straight, but it don't assume that to be the reason for them being smart.
    Happy days :slight_smile:

18. Quandary

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've yet to be on a forum without at least one member making the claim that they're smarter or more moral than outsiders.

19. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not me happy littlet idiot sums it up

20. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

You're not an idiot, David (*hug*)