1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you use online auction sites (e.g. eBay)? For what?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, May 30, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

Do you eBay or similar auction sites to buy things? If so, what do you like to buy?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I personally like to find antiques and collectables that I collect. Pretty nifty because it beats going around yard sales and antique shops looking for very specific items. Plus, you can sometimes score some very good deals. Case in point: I recently found a hard-to-find parfait spoon for sale that was being sold as an iced tea spoon (only difference is that one is 5/8ths of an inch shorter than the other and most people don't realize the difference); as such, I got it for a steal.

I also purchase books and magazines that are out of print because they're sometimes cheaper than Amazon.

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I do use those sites, I look for the "Buy It Now" option. Maybe I'll start bidding for things at a later date but right now I just stick to instantly buying it. I bought a iPad Bluetooth Keyboard to use with my mom's iPad to type faster and not get stuck pecking at this screen. It's coming in tomorrow so I'm ecstatic, reason #2 why I bought it: So I won't need to buy one when I get my own iPad.

3. Hyaline

I've bought lots of bits and bobbles on ebay. mostly electronics and networking hardware. I have sold a few things too. It has been a great experience over all... I am with Randy, I go for the buy it now option too..

Most expensive thing I've ever purchased was a Transmission (Gearbox) for my Tacoma that was in Canada (I am in California)...

4. AlamoCity

"Buy It Now" can be fun (especially those with "Or Best Offer"). But auctions can get you the best deals (sometimes), though I don't always have the patience :lol:.

5. BelleFromHell

My mom buys and sells, mostly sells. It's my family's only income, basically. She sells everything from antique collectables and clothing, to furniture and electronics.

6. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably used them more to sell than to buy. I have brought a few good prezzies for my kids. For example limited edition Star Wars lego that's brand new in box for a lot less than if I was to get it new (sometimes it's the only place we can find it).

But as I said done a lot of selling. eBay is great for selling used children's clothes as many people will snap up the clothes bundles. It's great as they save quite a bit (kids clothes can be quite expensive new from a shop) and we can get rid off clothes the kids have out grown. It was especially good for baby clothes as kids out grow them really quick so when you sell them they are in pristine condition as they've not been worn much.

Happy days :slight_smile:

7. IG88

That is genius! Legos are awesome...and if I have kids their outgrown clothes are going on the internet, or charity, idk.

I've used eBay for buying game controllers, selling games, buying/selling books, etc..

8. timo

Yeah, mostly for small gadget-y stuff. I bought a power bank for my phone yesterday, 6€ + free shipping from China :lol: Try and find it that cheap over here.

I also remember buying a pair of Vans on eBay UK cause I wanted a certain colourway no store in the Netherlands had.

9. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Anything, I do all my shopping online.

10. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have an old 3 wheeler. Without eBay and the buy it now option I would never find parts for it.

Speaking of.... I need to order that!

#10 redneck, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  11. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I've used etsy.

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. Definitely yes. I do a lot of shopping for many many things on ebay.

13. ScatteredEarth

Same, I've had both experience in buying and selling them. I recently got my hands on a shit-ton of phone cases, but I am too lazy to organize them to sell, plus I'm pretty sure some of those phone cases are for phones nobody uses anymore..

14. Cubiculum

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never bid, because then there's always a chance you won't get it, and you'd be wasting money. While with the BIN option (sounds strange as an acronym) you can very easily buy something and it's yours.

Edit: I worded that wrong. I don't do anything, my step mom does. She's an avid eBayer.

15. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I've used Amazon because it seems cheaper. EBay to sell sneakers. I had a sneaker phase and actually ended up making more selling all of them on EBay than I lost buying them.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have purchased on EBay. They were replacement parts for cars I've had that precluded a trip to the junkyard to pull them. The price was fixed. I've been satisfied with every EBay purchase.

There is currently an item I need to purchase and it is on Amazon. I'll do that next month sometime. Wait, that's tomorrow! Again, it is cheaper, not to mention being available there.

17. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    eBay, Amazon and etsy all get my business. I buy all kinds of things; electronics, collectibles, art supplies, books, clothes, gifts... little bit o' everything.

18. Illus1

I bought a LCD cable for my laptop directly from the supplier in Hong Kong, $11,-. They told me at uni pc service €40,- friggin mental! Friend lost his laptop charger and paid the full €45,- for the new one poor guy was down when I told him about the cable let it be a lesson shop around people !

Bought/sold other misc. stuff on eBay & amazon

19. Yosia

I use eBay lots, its so much easier to buy it online and wait for post than spend hours looking for it in town, sometimes they dont even have what i want in the shops~ also stuff can be much much cheaper ^.^

20. Foxface

I certainly do...I often use it for my ham and shortwave radio equipment

I also use it for my anime figures...which I haven't done in some time