1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toughmudder

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sotv, May 31, 2014.

1. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    https://toughmudder.co.uk

So I'm doing the toughmudder in around three months time. I'm not In great shape and not in terrible shape.
    Anybody done anything similar?
    Any advice for training and diet?

2. Sitri

I have only ever known one other person crazy enough to do this. He said that the worst part was the ice water, where you basically have to swim through slush. So I guess take cold showers to build your resistance?

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think every Tough mudder is kind of different as far as distance - but I think most are about 11-13 miles?
    Do you have the event information for your specific run?

For training, just start running. See how good of shape you're in. Run 5k and see how you fare. Remember that you're not going for speed - simply endurance, so 'get into your groove' (homeostasis) and then stay there.

There's climbing and jumping involved in Toughmudder I know, so you can always throw some anaerobic/strength things into the middle of your run. Example: Run for four minutes, do twenty pushups, run for four minutes, do twenty box jumps, run for four minutes, do twenty sit-ups, run for four minutes, do a full minute of forearm plank.

But ye - looking up what events there are at your event would help you develop an idea for training.

Eating - I never care about what I eat. As long as you're not eating absolute garbage junk food every day, you'll be fine. That's how I roll though.

4. 741852963

To be honest I think it would be a lot easier than a road race of a comparable distance.

The reason? You have obstacles and interesting features to break up the run (they all look fun to me, bar the electric shocks - I had a nasty run in with a plug socket so electricity scares me!). The hardest part of running is having no distraction from the fatigue and pain (it is incredibly monotonous), whereas you get a lot of distractions in a Tough Mudder.

So if you can run the distance normally (on normal roads or preferably cross country) I'm sure you'll have no problem. :icon_bigg

5. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My sister and brother-in-law did this last year. They said the worst part was the giant container of ice water you have to swim though. The thing you should work on most is your stamina. The best thing you can probably do is start running more

6. Aquilo

When I read about polar expeditions in the early 20th century, it was mentioned that some explorers tried to build resistance against the cold by ice baths. As far as I know these attempts were not really successful and subsequent scientific tests didn't work either. It might train your perseverance a bit though.

A body getting cold is just a thermodynamic process. Your body can't really resist it apart from shivering and burning fat, but there's a limit to that. Therefore feeling cold is very important to survive, so you move to a warmer/drier place and start moving.

The only way to really build 'cold resistance' is to slow down the physical process of getting cold. This can be done by moving quickly and by having a thick insulating layer of body fat. The bigger you are the slower you will cool. 'Cheating' by applying a thick layer of fat to your skin before you jump in cold water might work too.

7. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it unrealistic to expect to be able to run the 12 miles when training by the end of it or is it better to be able to run a shorter distance comfortably given that the run is broken up by obstacles?

Yeah I know what you mean but I have three months to both build muscle and improve my cardio so if you have any advice about the amount of calories I should be consuming a day (so they arent all wasted on cardio before I build muscle) then that'd be great. I think I read somewhere you want to become a firefighter so I'd imagine you'd have a decent idea about the balance required given the nature of the job.

I think i'd rather these distractions didnt result in me being electrocuted though haha :wink:

hmmmm for some reason I think I will just have to grit my teeth and get on with it cus building a layer of fat would be counterproductive and i may get a few funny looks if i stop to lather myself up in fat :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahhhhhh!

I just did the warrior dash yesterday here in Massachusetts. Training is no different than any event that requires trail running and general body strength... But also fear of climbing over stuff and possible going up high. Military training definitely helps if you are seriously competing.

I'm just glad that while my group was at the very end of our wave, we ended the race in the top 3rd.

9. 741852963

I've always loved climbing/adventure playgrounds etc so most of the obstacles (bar the ice bath and electricity) look right up my street!

Well hopefully the ice thing is mid-race or towards the end, if so you can just try to mentally think of it as a refreshing cool down after your run. Or visualize the benefits for your sore muscles!

And if you'd like a bit of inspiration read this amazing ladies story:

Anne-Wafula Strike's Blog: Tough Mudder Challenge.

10. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you mean literal military training? Should I just be looking for obstacle courses where you have to climb ?

just realised that if those obstacles were one after the other then the water and electricity could be an interesting conversation :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

i'll just visualise it is a nice jacuzzi :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

aye i'll give it a read now

11. 741852963

Or you can just imagine yourself wading through a giant Slush-Puppie (don't think of drinking any though).

12. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Oh my gosh just looked at what that is. I think if I tried that I'd run out of puffs on my inhaler half way through and die.

13. AlamoCity

Don't use cotton underwear (or cotton anything, if you can help it).

14. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    wow thats pretty impressive!
    So i'm ordering a mass gainer to boost my calories by an extra 1000/2000 a day depending how my cardio manages to stave off the potential for getting fat from them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Recently injured my shoulder aswell so as soon as its healed its gonna be a big push to get fit :slight_smile:
    i'll keep you guys updated and post a few photos after i eventually finish it in september :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's just say while I was fit enough to complete it within respectable time my body hurt for almost 5 days afterwards. I'm still sore (this was last Saturday).

Real military training is not necessary but helpful.

16. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I would love to do this.

Just a suggestion. I once did a race called the Para 10 a few years ago where you had to run 10 miles over man made hills (extremely steep) while wearing a 35lb bag and I felt like shit for days afterwards haha (my shoulders ached like hell). For training we would either jog or do the odd sprint while wearing this heavy bag but I reckon my stamina and endurance improved a lot from doing this. After the race I went back to jogging without the weight and I ran better then I had ever done before. I just got a rucksack and added a bag of sand or some dumbbells in it to reach the 35lb (I started at a low weight and increased it every so often). Running felt hard with the weight but if you got good at this, imagine how easier it would be to run without the weight.

Good luck with Toughmudder, let us know how you get on :slight_smile:.