1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time going to a Gay Bar... I'm nervous

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by phoenix89, May 31, 2014.

1. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend and her fiance are having their bachelorette party tonight. We are going out to dinner and then to their favorite Gay Bar, there is drag show tonight that they want to see. I have no idea what to expect, can anyone give me some tips?

I am also nervous, some of them think or used to think that I was against the GSM community, which I am not, but I am still nervous about what they will think. I do not want put a damper on the party but I do not know what to do to show that I am not a homophobe. Yes, I have been Christian for most of my life, up until recently. But just because I was Christian, it does not mean that I was not supportive. I have never believed that it was a sin (for others, I was harsher to myself. It was okay for others, but not for me, this has since changed).

My Boyfriend says that it is going to be a lot of fun and that I should enjoy myself, but I am nervous.

2. AlamoCity

Never been to a gay bar and I'd only be willing to go if I were to go with friends.

Given that it's a gay friendly environment, it might be the best place for you to come out and say how much you support them all and that you hope they didn't think that you previously being a devout Christian meant you opposed them. If comfortable, you could even come out as bisexual.

I agree with Brad and think you'll have a blast tonight. Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:.

3. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your response. It was a really fun night, I got a little drunk, but hey that made it even more enjoyable.We went to habachi, and then the bar. It was too loud at the bar though, I am not a fan of loud bars. The drag show was hilarious though. Some of the performers were really good looking, lol.

A lot them already knew that I was bi, my sister and friends like to talk (I did not mind) so it made coming out a lot easier. It was kinda of funny, I and two others were the only ones who were not lesbians, there were two straight ladies, and me as bi. None of them even cared that I used to be a Christian, I had gone to church when I was young with one of the brides.

Brad was right, I had a blast. A little hung over now though

4. kem

kem

My heterosexual male (and female) friends have been trying to drag(pun intended) me to a gay bar for ages. Feels like they're more into it than I am... Let's go find you a man, they say. (Not interested)

I'm glad you had a good time. I'm not a fan of places with loud music, or loud people, so I'm not a bar/club person really, but I'd like to go some time too. Regular bars are annoyingly centred on sexual encounters. I want to talk, and talk deep.

5. confuseduser99

I just had my first gay bar experience last night too! It was alright. Nothing special. The bar I went to was really loud as well (because of the drag show). The drag show was meh. Nothing amazing, nothing terrible. A couple of funny things, and some catchy music. There were just too many people.

Hanging out on the patio though with my friends was great. The alcohol started to hit me towards the end of the night. Chatted with a couple of gay guys who we met through my friend's friend. That was nice.

All in all, not bad. But I'm more of the social sit down and drink type than the loud music, dancing type when I go out.

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This is why bars suck as a place to meet and talk with somebody; you can't hear what they are saying and you have to yell what you might rather whisper. Some of them leave you smelling like an ashtray. We have a local organization which sets up eat-what-you-brung dinner parties at people's houses. It is a much better environment to meet people casually and talk; only negative is that it is only once a month.

7. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    Good luck, I was so exited to be in a gay bar for the first time, too.

There's nothing exceptional in those places for me though

#7 edy, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  8. AlamoCity

Glad it went well :slight_smile:

9. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    I went to a gay bar once, I looked at online reviews and picked a dive bar type place with a nice back porch scene and cheap beer. The crowd was older, but I hooked up with an OK looking guy, and went somewhere a little more private. Even hooked up with him a second time before realizing he wasn't my type. I've been wanting to try another place but something always comes up. Don't think I will hook up this time, focus instead on making some friends or getting a real date.

10. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

If anyone gives you any trouble (and they won't) just make it clear that Christian and homophobic are two different things. The Christian half of my family is almost unanimously in support of gay rights.