1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should you be able to buy alcohol at grocery stores?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Techno Kid, May 31, 2014.

1. Techno Kid

In Ontario you can't buy alcohol in grocery or convenience stores and it does not make any sense to me. : 3 It's like Ontario thinks we are a bunch of children who don't know how to be responsible. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

What do you think?

2. Illus1

Where I live they tend to be cheaper in grocery stores, more expensive in small 24/7 costly at bars and friggin crazy expensive at clubs. Why can't they just ID at grocery stores? 18+ only it's what they do in my country. Ugh I always cringe at buying a drink at a club, I drink it slowly just to make it last longer and not to be with an empty glass and it keeps me less drunk lol

3. AlamoCity

Yeah. Where I live, you can buy beer and wine at the grocery store, but no liquor. I think they should be able to sell liquor if they are able to card. If I ever need spirits for cooking, I have to go to the liquor store, which is a hassle.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You should be able to buy booze in the grocery store. I'm sure many people, faced with high grocery prices of today, would like get sozzled after going shopping.

WA allows sales of hard liquor in stores above a certain size. This came about in recent years, and now you can find liquor in grocery stores, drug stores, and even Target. Previously, only wine and beer were available outside of liquor stores. I'm not sure how long you could buy wine and beer, but I can remember my mother buying wine at the grocery store in the 80s.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should. Sadly, I live in Utah, where there are only state liquor stores which have high taxes, so there's really only some beer in grocery stores.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In NSW and the ACT, alcohol is available in supermarkets and other licensed shops. Honestly, I wish it were impossible to buy alcohol, but I understand that having it limited to bottle shops doesn't do much as a preventative measure; just look at Queensland's drinking rate. :dry:

7. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here you can buy liquor at Wal-Mart. Florida is classy as shit.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Furthermore, none of the prohibitions ever having occurred did anything to stop it. Made it worse, even.

Hell, it works well as a means of lessening use, I suppose. Our family buys all liquor in Montana thanks to that. :lol:

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Until WA allowed grocery store sales, state owned stores were the standard here. And we had high taxes. Not sure about vs. Utah, but taxing liquor was always attractive choice for when the state piggy bank is nearly empty.

When private sales were allowed, taxes actually went up. They added a new tax. I believe it was to go to fight under age drinking, or some such thing. One of those add ons to the sell the idea to the voters worried about law and order, I guess.

10. Illus1

Did you see what prohibition did in the 1920's? besides people need alcohol lol in moderate amounts of coursel

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how unsuccessful prohibition is. That doesn't stop me hating alcohol with a deep passion. The fact that I don't want anyone to drink it doesn't mean I'm willing to see it banned and the end result get even worse than alcohol issues already are.

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Certainly. I bought a couple of bottles of Bulmer's cider from my nearest supermarket today. :love:

Besides, I don't like seeing alcohol-only stores popping up - they're usually indicative of a certain 'type' of area. My thoughts are usually bad when I see a store with the name 'Bargain Booze'.

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, it's ironic that a Mormon state once got a really high fraction (I think 30%) of their state revenue from alcohol taxes.

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Another thing I disliked about the old WA system... The state owned liquor stores--at least the ones I'd seen--were not very nice stores to be in. I'm not sure if it was a case of the state not wanting to spend unnecessary money, or if they were trying to make the experience depressing to make people who buy alcohol feel like losers.

---------- Post added 31st May 2014 at 06:49 PM ----------

And it would be interesting to know how much of the liquor purchases were ones made by the Mormons who strayed from the righteous path. :lol:

I've heard stories--which may only be stories--of people going fishing with a Mormon, and having the Mormon drink up all the beer...

15. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It should be a non-issue, but I'd prefer not to be ripped off by paying $20 for a six pack of beer at a grocery store.

The convenience is OK I suppose, but the price isn't.

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here in Michigan, it depends on the store. Wal-Mart carries everything: beer, wine, spirits, and hard liquor. Most of the big box chain grocery stores (Meijer, Kroger, etc.) carry almost everything, and here in my small hometown, there are so many party stores that you can get the hard stuff at, that they only carry beer and wine.

17. Foxface

My Meijer has tons of booze

18. juliegt6

In Michigan there seems to be many liquor stores that sell at the state minimum, some sell groceries, some are dedicated liquor stores. I never pay more than the dleg price list says is minimum. I can buy booze in Meijer, Spartan stores and such too but usually the liquor store has better selection.

19. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a Spartan store 10 minutes from my house that has the biggest selection of Vodka brands and flavors I've ever seen.

20. juliegt6

I mean mostly premium stuff. I have a large bar at home, here's an outdated photo, I have a lot more scotch and Irish whiskey now (single malts).

[​IMG]