1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on Casual Sex

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BitterEdge, Aug 15, 2008.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I know this will be somewhat of a polarizing issue but am wondering what peoples opinions are.

What do you think about casual sex?

I personally think it depends on the person whether you would do it or not. I myself don't even know if I could do a hookup, I know I'm a virgin and there are many feelings to want to change that but I think I would feel dirty about it.

2. Dazed

Dazed Guest

casual sex is gross.some of my friends are 16 and have done like 20 guys.me on the other hand ive done one guy and messed with one girl both are friends but nothing more.i dont like relationships cuz i have trust issues. but i guess it depends on if a person is ok with doing so many people.i think sex is a personal act that should be with someone that you care alot about/love.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as I'm concerned, casual sex is fine if both (or all) participants know going in that this is supposed to be a fun, casual encounter. That it's not supposed to "mean anything". If everybody knows this, and can keep their emotions and feelings in check, then I certainly don't have a problem with it.

But this is the same reason that I tend to caution teenagers away from having casual sex. We've all seen (and, for most of us, been!) teenagers whose emotions get the better of them. Flipping out and getting emotional over (what appears to an outsider to be) nothing at all. Sex has a lot of potential for emotional attachment, and given that teens can have trouble keeping their emotions in check, the potential for something going wrong is magnified. As people age, they tend to learn how to deal with and handle their emotions better, and thus will be better equipped to handle the pitfalls of casual sex.

Lex

4. Bookmarked

"Sex is only dirty if you're doing it right"-Woody Allen.

Personally, casual sex is not my cup of tea. I think that I'd end up seeing it as more than mutual spasming of the groinal region and getting feelings and attraction mixed up it in. For that reason, I'd prefer to avoid it.

In principle, casual sex represents a form of liberty, and when seen through the eyeglass of certain philosophical schools, it is a representation of how two people can emotionally detatch from one another and mutually "help each other out".

Then again, that doesn't consider the risks that can be associated with casual sex. Real, physical risks, I mean. STI's and abuse, that sort of thing.

5. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I agree with Lex, in that if both participants know the score, and they're both happy with it being casual, and they practice safe sex, then I have no problem with it.

But from the friends I have who have had casual sex, I'm not sure how often you actually do get two people together with exactly the same expectations. So whilst I think people can do what they want, I'm wary of the whole thing, because so many people I know have had bad experiences of the whole thing.

I personally have never, and would never, have casual sex. I'm also not sure whether I would or could date someone who had casual sex. But that's my personal preference, and I'm not about to preach to others, and I've certainly got friends who are into that sort of thing (and I usually end up picking up the pieces the morning after).

6. pirateninja

I personally wouldn't just have casual sex with anyone, but some people do and like it that way. For example a good friend of mine just likes casual sex. It depends on the person, I guess. As long as people stay safe and it's not taking place behind another partners' back, then I'm not going to lecture him.

7. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Casual sex is not my thing, but if the 2 people know what they're getting into, know the risks, know the possible consequences and are properly protected then I see nothing wrong with them having casual sex

8. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Live and let live I say. I wouldn't/wont judge anybody who did/does it, and I don't expect anybody to judge me for not finding it appealing.

As peeps have said, just as long as nobody gets hurt then it's fine. If there is a sign that things may be going wrong then they should stop straight away.

9. Trumpetplyer23

Personally, I don't want to have casual sex. I need a lot more than, well, sex. I am one of those teenagers who would get attached to their one night stand. It's not healthy for me or anyone else.

If others want to have casual sex and they won't get attached...then well, go ahead. I can't stop you, just make sure you're protected so you don't get a disease or pregnant.

10. In my opinion, I think that if you really want to be intimate with someone, it should be someone who you love and have true feelings for. Something special. Someone who you can share a special moment with. Why do it with some stranger? I just don't get that at all. I hate the mentality of certain people who think:

'Omg, everyone is "losing it" so I might as well lose it as fast as possible because otherwise I won't fit it. '

That's rather lame. But that's just what I think.

11. I love casual sex. I've done it once and I plan do to it MANY more times. Like people have said I'm one who think sex and love can exist separate from each other. There can be sex in conjunction with love or there can just be sex. The two aren't dependent on each other in my eyes. I can also detach myself from people very easily so that's how I can do it.

12. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not something I would do. The thought of sleeping with someone I don't love or even know has no appeal for me at all. If other people want to do it, and they know what they're getting itno, I don't have a problem with that, but it's not for me.

13. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's ew.

14. ok455

I don't think i could have casual sex. I would prefer to have sex with someone i knew for a few years or months but as long they are doing it safe and right im fine with it. my line is use it before you lose it

#14 ok455, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  15. myra

I used to think it didn't matter. I said in another post somewhere that i used to daydream about going out to vegas and being a stripper or prostitute. (Loverly huh?) That was all when i was a virgin. A very young, rebellious, virgin. But now that i'm madly in love with the guy i believe to be my soul mate, I can't imagine even being with another person. The whole thought of sex with another person pretty much disgusts me. He's the only one i can imagine myself with. I'm really glad i ended up saving myself for him. Casual sex isn't something that i think people should do. People should save themselves for the person they are commited to. Virginity is kinda like a gift showing that person how much you love them. That you trust them enough not to laugh at you when you fumble through the first few times. Its something that happens between two people. Casual...just doesn't cut it for me. Sex needs to be meaningful.

16. MusicIsLife

I think casual sex is awesome. Thats it.

17. BreakingGlass

It's not my thing. If the people are being safe and know it's nothing serious, then I'm okay with them doing so. I don't think it's my place to judge though.

18. Eponine

It's not for me, but I think that it shouldn't even matter. If people want to have sex, then let them, like almost any other animal would (I'm not sure how many species of animals are actually monogamous). If people want to be sexually monogamous, then that's perfectly fine, since I would assume that sex is better with someone special. As long as people are safe and remain unattached, then I really don't see a problem.

19. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

I agree with Lex.
    My only problem with casual sex is the risk that the other participant may have a less than safe sexual history.
    While you may always use a condom or other means of safer sex, you will never know for sure if this one-night stand has done the same.

That is why i prefer monogamy.

20. it's whatever floats your boat in my opinion, whatever tickles your fancy and shakes your bootie.

you get the picture.