1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Members' Cars

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mnguy, Apr 14, 2007.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Split from this thread http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1346 by Paul_UK

________________________​

Hey Jim, Very nice ride! How do you like it? I've got a new car on order (arriving in May) and in a way I hope it helps attract the guys, but of course I don't want that to be all they're interested in. People keep saying it's gonna be a chick magnet, and I really want to say, "I hope not!" :eusa_doh: If the car I drive helps get a guy's attention I guess that's no different than being attracted to a guy who dresses well and has a nice haircut. It probably won't do much for me, but I'll still enjoy driving it.

#1 mnguy, Apr 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2007
  2. Jim1454

Re: Where to meet guys that are bi or gay

Thanks mnguy! I actually pick it up this Wednesday - but I've driven a few of them and they are an awesome little car! As my wife and I separate, I decided to treat myself and be entirely selfish! So I've bought a slightly smaller place than I could have, and I'm spending the balance on this completely impractical little roadster.

I've had the same comment from a lot of people - 'that will be a real chick magnet!' LOL! If they only knew...

What have you ordered?

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I bet you can't wait to get it. TT's are really sweet cars! I ordered a Lexus IS 250. It's not the most practical car either, but like you, I figured what the hell. Now that the weather is getting nice I'm getting really anxious for it!

4. Jim1454

You're right - I CAN'T WAIT! :slight_smile: It's a 2001 with only 55000 kms on it (around 30000 miles?) and in mint condition.

The IS 250 is a nice little car too! A friend at work just traded his A4 for one - he got the AWD model - but more likely to need that option in Canada, eh?

We've kind of hijacked this thread... do you think bi or gay guys have a favourite make or model of car? Is a person likely to meet another bi or gay guy at a certain kind of dealership?

5. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I've seen a number of rainbow stickers on Jeep TJ's / Wranglers.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Re: Jim1454's New Car

I have split it off to this new thread. :wink:

I have absolutely no idea on that.

I chose my car, a Suzuki Ignis Sport (bought new in 2004), because it's distinctive and fun! It does turn the boys heads sometimes - but generally not the sort of boys I would want to offer a lift to.....

[​IMG]

7. Jim1454

That's CUTE! We don't have those here in Canada. And I love the colour!

Regarding the Jeeps - I haven't noticed - but I have to admit that I don't really have an operating 'gaydar'. I've never really understood the Jeep TJs - rough ride, noisy, no cargo capcity, etc. But as the stickers on their windows say: "You wouldn't understand - Its a Jeep thing."

I'll stick to European sport wagons and roadsters!

However, I'll admit that the Honda Civic that we just traded in had been a trememdous little car - 250,000kms - and my Nissan that I had before the Volvo wagon was an awesome little car right through all 210000kms.

(Thanks for moving to a new thread Paul!)

8. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I think the Jeep thing has to do with slip-sliding in the mud or something.

I drive a second generation Neon. I think it's supposed to be a 'cute' car. It is economical and fairly fun to drive, especially with the manual transmission. Unfortunately I have the automatic. However It's been a pretty good car.

My mom also just bought a PT cruiser. I don't know if it's Cute, but it's certainly unique.

9. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Sorry about getting off topic from the original thread. :icon_redf

I've heard some guys say that VWs are gay cars (particularly New Beetle and Jetta) and I've heard the Jeep Wrangler thing too. Oh yea, Mazda Miata too. The VW thing seems to come from certain "redneck" people who maybe think anything but Ford/Chevy/Dodge is too trendy and therefore gay related. I dunno, it's silly. I've owned a Ford, Plymouth, Mazda, and now the upcoming Lexus and I'm gay so I guess we can own anything we want. (!)

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That's my approach! I wanted a Japanese hot-hatch in bright yellow, so that's what I bought. I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about it.

By the way, my partner Markie liked mine so much that he bought himself one too! His is the one with foglights.

[​IMG]

He had a couple of Suzuki jeeps before that - a Vitara then a Jimny, so maybe there is something in the gays liking jeeps idea. I think the Jimny is quite cute, but didn't like the Vitara.

11. Jim1454

Oh my gosh! That's too funny! You've got 'his' and 'his' bright yellow Suzuki's!!! That has the likes of 'marketing material' written all over it!

12. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I think I would die if my boyfriend and I had matching cars. That's just a little... too much. (No offense.)

I have no license (ah the benefits of living in a big city) but if I did and had a frivolous vehicle, I'd get a Miata or a TT. For some reason everyone I know here prefers the A4 (I think it's the A4) over the TT but I think they're daft.

I've always liked the Miatas.

But if I were seriously buying a car, I'd get a hybrid and hopefully something that could be converted to a straight electric plug-in. Burning fossil fuel isn't something I want to be frivolous about.

And yes, workable electric cars do (or DID) exist--there's even a film about it: Who Killed The Electric Car? It's definitely worth watching--you begin to get a real understanding of why we still use technology that's over a hundred years old so ubiquitously.

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

14. Qu_

Qu_ Guest

I very proudly drive a classic, albeit gas-guzzling, '78 Camaro that I did the second half of rebuilding (one of my less-gay hobbies). It might get like....10 mpg where I drive but it turns heads not only because its old, but because it's an eye catching metallic blue. I love it.

15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

How about posting photos of your cars in your galleries? Then you can link them into this thread to show us all (like I did).

Make the number plate unreadable first though. :wink:

16. GuitarGirl1350

Chevy Silverados pwn every other car's ass. ^_^
    I love me some Chevy.

17. Qu_

Qu_ Guest

It's dirty right now, and I need to replace front right tower due to my poor parallel parking skills (lol) but this is it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Jim1454

Thats classic! Very nice!

19. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Yes, Qu, very nice! Looks like it's in really good condition.

Ok, I don't intend to sound stupid, but for those of you not in North America, did/do you have many classic muscle cars on your streets? We have these big auto shows in the summer where muscle car fanatics get together and show off their restored and modified vehicles. There are trophies and prizes and the like for the best in various categories. Now keep in mind, I'm talking muscle cars, not just classic cars. It's a major hobby for some people. I wouldn't call myself a fanatic, but I do have an '87 Ford Thunderbird Sport that I'm slowly working on having restored and modified, not that it's really a muscle car, but I guess it could be for the '80s. I bought it in '91. So far all I have is new dual exhaust with headers and aftermarket wheels/tires. I'm just not sure how much money/time I want to put into it to get it where I want so I've barely touched it in the last few years. One reason is the whole gas prices and pollution thing. Is it really worth building a 300 HP car just for fun and hobby? Plus finding parts will become more difficult to find as time progresses. So anyway, that's my other car story.

Maybe this thread should just be called Members' Cars? Might be interesting. :king:

20. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

My guess is the streets of Europe would be overly narrow for muscle cars so they wouldn't likely be a super common thing. But that's just a guess.

I just don't get why people are so wrapped up in cars. Or at least not big inefficient ones. My dad had a like 1977 Lincoln Towncar when we were growing up and it was like a boat. I shudder to think of what it must have cost to run, even then. Give me a cute zippy little car any day (if I have to have a car). My sister has a 2-seat Smart car which is just great--she runs it on biodiesel... seems pretty cool to me. For a car. I'd rather have a nice computer. (Hugs my 24" iMac)