1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Village - Toronto

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuseduser99, Jun 1, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

So I was down in the village yesterday (the gay village) in Toronto for a friend's birthday. It was my first time going there, especially by myself and as someone who is out to himself. I have to say, it was a little heartwarming. The people were so friendly in the neighbourhood! I even went to a gay bar and had the chance to chat with a couple of gay guys. They were so nice. I didn't openly say that I was gay to them, but it was at a gay bar after all. They pretty much assumed that I was gay. Talking to gay guys is so much easier than talking to most straight guys!

Have any of y'all been to "the village", whether it be in Toronto or elsewhere? What have your experiences been like?

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good for you. I've been there a couple of times - it's roughly at Church and Wellesley. I've found it's like anything or anywhere else. There are people who are very easy to talk to because, like you say, the underlying assumptions are taken for granted, so you can get past the preliminaries. Then, then there are some with large doses of superficiality and A-list/B-list/etc. pecking order that plays out in who people will talk to. The thing is that most people will find someone they will want to talk to and enjoy their time.

3. Techno Kid

Would love to go to Church and Wellesley!!! :grin:

The only gay village I have been near is the one in Montreal, I drove through it. :slight_smile:

4. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Omg I love it so much!!! Everything is so rainbowy! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Anyone know what the pink benches are for though?

And the people there are really nice! I need to go there more often!!

5. Beetle

I've walked through it before, but I was on my way to an interview so didn't stop. A friend told me there weren't any lesbian bars though, is that true?

6. confuseduser99

Well, I don't know of any strictly lesbian themed bars. Many lesbians apparently go to the gay bars for the drag shows. It seems like many "gay" bars are gay and lesbian conjoined bars.

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I often go to the Village here in Montreal (was just there yesterday, in fact), I like the feeling of being among "my own", while still feeling like I am exploring a new world. It is still a popular location, but with greater acceptance comes a somewhat lesser need for such a place. I would not say it is in decline, but there has been a spate of closure lately of a few businesses (restaurants and such). The main (bar and nightlife) attractions (e.g. Sky, Unity, Le Cocktail) are still there and going strong as well as many restaurants, saunas and clubs. The place really comes alive in the summer.

8. classicat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wanted to go to the village back in March when I went to Toronto on a college class trip, but my friends didn't want to go, and I wasn't ready to wander through Toronto alone. :frowning2:
    Id like to go there next time I'm in Toronto, it sound great!

9. Jim1454

My husband and I are often down there - although less often these days I think. We do enjoy being down there and being with other gay guys. I suppose earlier one when we had more recently come out, we were more comfortable expressing ourselves there than in other places. We didn't mind being identified as a couple there - because it was totally accepted.

As time has gone by, we don't mind being identified as a couple anywhere. So the appeal of being in the village isn't as great any more. And we live north of the city - so it's a bit of a haul to get there. But yes - with Pride coming up later this month, I expect I'll be down there a few times. I'm attending the Pride Gala (my work has purchased a table!) and the Pride At Work Canada event at the Sony Center (my work is a member company) and the big party at The 519 as well. (I used to know the executive director, so my name is on their distribution list so I still get an invite every year!)

We try to hit the gay neighbourhoods everywhere we go. Although we were in Victoria this past weekend and were just too tired to go to either of the gay bars that were advertised. We do plan to hit the village here in Vancouver next weekend.

10. confuseduser99

I think you're right about this. The village is great for people who have recently come out, or for those who aren't fully out to everyone (such as myself in both cases).

I actually felt somewhat comfortable in my skin for once! I feel like I sometimes "stick out" in the general public (I'm not a flamboyant gay that dresses very flamboyantly, but I dint know what it is. I've always felt a tad out of place). I feel like when I'm in the village, I don't "stick out" and I just feel more comfortable and less stressed about my mannerisms, actions, etc.