1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wanted to be an actor but I don't like playing straight characters

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edy, Jun 1, 2014.

1. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know, it's very difficult for me to pretend I'm straight.

I know what you're all going to say: being an actor it's all about pretending but what about those actors that WOULD NEVER play a gay character (mark wahlberg famously turned down Brokeback mountain)?

It's funny how if I only play gay characters people would say I'm not even acting (not to mention the very low chances I'd get to play the leading role) but what about those straight actors that play straight characters and get award for it? :roflmao:

It's true! many gay actors have played gay character and they got recognition for them but they also have to play a lot of straight characters of else people would say they don't even act :lol:

2. Gen

Gen

Being able to play both roles would definitely give you an advantage, but it doesn't mean that you must to be successful. More and more roles for LGBTQ individuals have been arising in film and television. Additionally, there are quite a number of roles without romance and orientation is never specified.

3. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    Where I live, gay characters are asexual, they never kiss

I would love to become an actor, that's one of my dreams, I just couldn't pretend I'm straight, I couldn't pretend I'm in love with someone of the opposite sex, I couldn't make kissing scenes

4. C P

C P

As far as just 'showing interest' goes, as in making comments or the facial expressions and all that ya di da, it'd feel a little weird but I think I could manage that relatively easily.

Now for anything physical like kissing? I don't know if I could pull that off...convincingly(unless the scene is supposed to be awkward for other reasons, ha). It's still a little difficult picturing myself going through with it though, because it's not even something on my mind I'm regards to guys much.

5. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    But playing a gay character wouldn't necessarily be playing myself

6. JohnB

Lol. This reminds me of "Hamlet 2" where the idiotic director always gives his only gay student the gay roles for every play they make and he gets pissed off. That's the only part I remember seeing, still need to finish watching it.

But anyway, I basically grew up watching movies and TV, and I studied how straight leading role males are "suppose" to act. I grew up looking at the action heroes, leads in romance and romantic comedies, I have observed every role and possibly just some training to actually go semi-pro or whatever. I am pretty sure I can play either gay or straight characters. Yes, I also observed gay actors and characters. Lol.

7. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe the lack of interest of playing straight leads is because I found them so dull and one dimensioned especially in action films and comedies