1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why would any feminist oppose transfeminism?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wuggums47, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Transfeminism is basically Feminism that relates to transgendered women rather than only cisgendered ones. But what I don't understand is that some groups of Feminists actually oppose Transfeminism, and trans-women in general. Apparently the Michigan Womyn's Music Festival threw a trans-woman out and since then has adopted a policy where they refuse any trans people access to the festival. To me this makes no sense, because Feminism at it's core has always been about equality. I don't see the fundamental difference in making a cisgendered women only festival, and doing the same thing, but for men instead, and throwing out all women and trans men. Also if any one group of people is oppressed for their gender more than others, it would be transgendered people. Honestly I think cisgendered Feminist men should be allowed to attend a woman's music festival. So long as they appreciate what it's about, I see no reason why a man can't join in.

I am not a woman, so I'm sure a lot of people would try to claim that I can't actually be a feminist, because I don't know what they go through. But I do know, do they really think nobody has ever treated me worse? I'm a disabled non gender conformist.

Link here: Michigan Womyn’s Music Festival | The TransAdvocate

2. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very simple, because expanding the scope makes some people feel less special/important. It's like we say of the Right wing here in America......"If we pass equality laws how do I know who I am better than?"

3. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Such people are not feminists as feminism demands equality and dignity for ALL women.

I hate people like that.

4. KrnlKrazy

KrnlKrazy Guest

This is what I need in the morning. Just, pure fucking anger. People are just... some people are just pricks.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've even seen a blog where a lesbian said that trans women were taking advantage of lesbians and they were a danger to lesbian and the lesbian movement . I thought that blog was nothing but garbage:tantrum:

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not consistent with feminism, I agree.

I'm sorry that some feminists behave this way, but their viewpoint is looking more and more embarrassing to both mainstream and radical feminism. (To give you an idea, trans-exclusive radical feminism is a minority view within radical feminism.)

7. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been around long enough to know that when a "lesbian" has an adverse reaction to transwomen it's because she's in fact not gay, but simply seeking validation she can only find in vaginas as far as her issues are concerned. Every woman I know like that is now with a man, one of them with 3 kids by different men. I'm sorry but forcing yourself to have sex with a woman once or twice won't magically a lesbian make.

8. BelleFromHell

Well, they aren't real feminists. A true feminist believes ALL women should be treated equally.

9. Maeve

I'm a humanist, and of course feminism is part of that. Transwomen are women. I don't understand why people are so insistent on separating transgender women from cisgender women. :frowning2:

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree l think so too, they were even calling lesbians that sleep with trans women bisexual and confused

11. BelleFromHell

Also, regardless of whether or not radical feminists want to believe it, there are plenty of cisgendered male feminists.

Hayao Miyazaki is a good example. The strong female protagonists in his flims give gender roles the middle finger.

Chihiro from "Spirited Away", Kiki from "Kiki's Delivery Service", Mononoke from "Princess Mononoke", and Ponyo from "Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea" are all female characters who play roles that, in a patriarchy, would seem absurd.

Patrick Stewart is another good example. In his youth, he witnessed domestic violence againist his mother, and was shocked when doctors and law enforcement placed the blame on her for "provoking the violence." This inspired him to speak up for women's rights and he's worn a t-shirt saying, "This is what a feminist looks like."

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2014 at 11:54 AM ----------

I'm also a humanist, and I completely agree with you. Transwomen are women. The fact that I was born with female parts doesn't make me better than them in any way. They are just as female as I am.

Also, even if they were men, so what? Real feminism is the belief that everyone, regardless of biological sex, gender identity, or gender expression, should be treated with equality and respect. The term "radical feminist" is an oxymoron.

12. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because we're icky?
    Because morons think you get to keep male privilege and that gives us an unfair advantage over women?
    Because we're not 'real' women...

You know, I could go on, but it boils down to 'people fucking suck'.

13. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :bang:

Fact of life: a woman is a woman, and transgender women are just as beautiful as cisgender women. Imma shout this from a friggin' zepplin if I have to... :tantrum: Anyone who disagrees is wrong and they may sit there in their wrongness for eternity.

#womenareawesome #misogynysucks

14. Techno Kid

^ This!!!

15. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But Gates...I hear that Holly thing has a peeeeeenis! GROOOOOSS! And it has a hairy chest and no boooooobs! Girls have to be pretty, so Holly must be a maaaaaan...

Grrrr.:dry:

16. thelamekidd

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a feminist and I personally believe that transphobia is not acceptable in the name of feminism. Trans women deserve just as much respect as anyone else.

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to agree with that, but I think it's an important thing that these people exist, call themselves feminists, and have followers. I'd call it bad feminism, but I'd still call it feminism (it's enormously flawed and disgusting, but you can't pretend problems in a movement don't exist; no true Scotsman isn't really an effective way to challenge it)

Gatekeeping against trans people has been common in feminists movements in a while, just as feminism, both historic and present, has excluded women based on race, wealth, ability etc.

Some people just get a kick out of knowing that they have power over people. And feminists aren't immune to that sort of behaviour.

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2014 at 06:10 AM ----------

Probably one of the most concise descriptions of that mentality I've seen.

18. BelleFromHell

Well, they're wrong. That does not make you man. There are some pretty unattractive ciswomen out there (myself included), so whether or not you're pretty doesn't make a difference.

As a women with apple-sized boobies, I can tell you the whole "boobs make a woman" thing is absolute garbage.

19. BelleFromHell

As depressing as it is, I have to agree. I wish society wasn't so ignorant of feminism and wasn't so quick to judge someone as "batshit crazy" or "misoandristic" simply because they're a feminist.

I wish the average person could tell the difference between real feminism and all men are assholes, transwomen aren't real women, and transmen are traitors "feminism."

The same can be said for the LGBT community (the lesbian section, specifically). I've been told that I'm not "femme" or "butch" enough to be a lesbian, and that all lesbian relationships need to be butch/femme. It feels horrible to be called something that I'm not by the same community that's supposed to make me feel better about myself, just like how I'm sure it feels horrible for transwomen to be referred to as men by so called "feminists."

Agreed.

20. Lipstick Leuger

I totally agree with this. I get sick and tired of having to say that I am 'not that kind of femminst' or having to explain because people only acknowledge the far out ones as true Femminists. Unfortunately, Transphopia still persists here in the backwaters of Michigan, and that is the main reasont hat my wife and I will never attend a Womyns fest here.

That is just shit. You don't have to be 'either' Butch or Femme to be lesbian. There are many different types of lesbians out there, and Butch/Femme are but two. Some even feel, like myself, that Butch or Femme is third gendered, and not specific to just the lesbian community.(which has led to fights on other sites, let me tell you :dry:slight_smile: Not ALL relationships require a Butch and Femme, or a top and bottom, or whatever else ignorant people think. That is what it is, ignorance, to tell someone, especially younger lesbians, that they have to fit some profile or they are not lesbians. Great way to mentor the next generation, huh?*sarcasm dripping*

Seriously, people need to get off that shit.:bang: