1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

have you ever been fired?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MerBear, Jun 2, 2014.

1. MerBear

and if so for what?

i just got fired from my very first job, so yeah, just wondering

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope...I've been made redundant and I've had a contract expire, but never been fired...

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First, how are YOU doing? Are you handling it ok? Was it a job you can replace easily or a career type job?

I was laid off early after college, but it really was a firing. They picked a dozen people to lay off. I was included. It was people who weren't as cool and not under higher ups' wings. Add suspicion to that list, at least for me. I'm basing that on some comments I heard. Because it was a downtown type job, I was devastated. It took a while to bounce back. I still hurt over it. The story is complicated.

If I was fired from fast food or retail while in high school or even in college, I think it wouldn't have made a dent. Being that it was a more significant type of job, it did.

Regardless, my heart goes out to anyone who loses a job unfairly. The vast majority of separations or terminations are due to politics more so than the ability to do the job. That is written about in volumes.

Keep your chin up and report back.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my god. I was so busy thinking about other things I completely neglected the important part of your post...

I'm so sorry to hear that, are you OK?(*hug*)

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never been fired, but I have worked a job where if I'd been fired, I would have walked out a very happy man knowing I wasn't going back to that hellhole again.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Indeed.

I was a little naive to believe, going in and doing 200% would make me feel better, and get me noticed. At first, it was lightly laughed off, and I was verbally patted on the back. But after about two months, the other employees realized, "Oh shit, this cat is making us look terrible in comparison." I should have known better when they confronted me, but I wanted to believe going above and beyond was the way to go...

It was...

Right out the damn door. The manager couldn't deal with the complaints from my co-workers, even though he sided with me, and even apologized for it when he fired me. He gave me a fantastic reference though, and even offered me a job back there a few years ago, which I declined. I had to tell him, point blank, if he would let me go once for something so ridiculous before, he would do it again.

There's also this, from another thread:

I've been fortunate in regards to being fired, because I was either given a great reference, or hired back. I wound up leaving the retail job though, because I found a better gig, for less time and more pay, at the public library.

Just know, there will come other opportunities. Learn from your previous job, and keep a cool head. Even the shittiest of jobs, can teach you the ins and outs of workplace politics.

7. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I've been fired from Dining Services for supposedly not doing my job. I was actually quite content with being fired from that job. It was less than 3 months so I've been told not to put it on my resume. But anyway...you say you've been fired, how are you dealing with it?

8. HU18LT14

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was fired for simply being a high school student. What part of the game is that?!

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I walked out of a good number of jobs in restaurants, but that's pretty common. I lost one due to cutbacks in government funding, at a federal library. Another ended because the business went under. But I was never exactly fired, though can imagine it would generally be no fun.

10. justjade

I was fired from my first job. They didn't train me right, so I made a huge mistake which ultimately spelled the end for me at that piece of shit place. No big deal though. A few months later, I had another job. I was 17 and living with my parents at the time, so it wasn't really a big deal.

11. MerBear

i'm fine, i worked at a amusement park, ride photo and they fired me because i apparently stole a pack of skittles, but what really happened was, this lady purchased this bag of skittles and opened it and saw it was melted and gave it back and bought a new pack and i was really hungry, and i started eating them, and i threw them away and my boss found them and asked why it was empty and i told him the truth and he called security on me, and security took me to this building, and questioned me, made me sign some confession, took my i.d and this fatass wannabe cop came and sat down across from me and said i was released from employment and i got up and said "fuck you asshole" and told this other dopey college security guy to get the fuck out of my way and they chased after me and said i was banned from coming to the amusement park ever again and i said "you think i give a shit? no fuck carowinds, it's a shitty ass place to work anyway" and stormed off and yeah, my dad talked to the guy who fired and said he couldn't rehire me because it was 'theft' apparently so yeah and funny thing is, i had worked very hard at that job, i was always good with the customers, i got two excellence CARDS, and praises from the customers and coworkers but it wasn't enough,

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2014 at 02:03 PM ----------

and im fine, but i was crying and hyperventilating when he got security on me, because i've been working day after day and haven't gotten a break yet, i've lost everything, i could possinbily lose, and i just broke down for 50th time in a row and my boss was like "i dont know why you're crying" ....wouldn't you cry if you went to work every single day of the week for 10 hours a day, while losing everything in the process and having to keep it together?

#11 MerBear, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  12. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldnt say fired. Since working at an amusement park is a seasonal job, we had to reapply if we wanted to come back the next summer. After working there for six summers they chose to not bring me back for year seven. So I wouldnt say fired but more like not rehired.

13. Joelouis

Never been fired, but I've walked out of jobs a few times.

I worked in aerospace engineering and was working from 6am to 10:30pm 4 days per week and 6am to 3:30pm the other two days, so mostly it was over-time. I wasn't spending much time with my girlfriend so asked the boss if I could just do my contracted hours for one week just so I could sort things out at home. I thought he'd be fine with it seeming as though I'd done all those extra hours for the last five months. Instead he says something like: "Well if you don't want the hours, don't bloody do them then!"
    So I walked out on the Monday and got a similar job on the Wednesday.

When I was about sixteen, I was working on a building site and at lunch a delivery came in for some steel girders (RSJ's). The boss asked me to deal with it but told me to leave the girders on the road, and to mark them with warning signs. Instead, I thought I'd impress him and move them round the side of the building ready for us to use them.
    They weighed a ton but I dragged them round on my own.
    The boss asked me if the delivery man helped me and I told him that I'd done it on my own thinking he'd be impressed.....he wasn't.
    "You'll do your back in doing that, and if you ever do that again, I'll sack you!"

Me being young, I immediately sulked and left on Friday thinking he'd phone up asking me to come back but he didn't!
    A bit of an own goal by me there.

14. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Not yet (Touch wood).

15. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Been there before. I was driving a scrap truck and after three weeks the other drivers started complaining about how much more I was making than them.
    It wasn't my fault! Everybody had the numbers to the guys loading the trucks. At 4 they would just go home. I'd call and see if they could load me before they quit for the day so I wouldn't have to do it in the morning. If they said they were done at the job site, I'd offer to move the equipment (two loads) and be sitting there to get the first load when they showed up in the morning.
    You could have called them. You could have helped me move the equipment, but instead YOU went home.

Have also been fired for fighting twice!

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    redneck, I get a kick out of how you tell life stories. I know they're not supposed to be funny, but sometimes they come across that way.

17. newfish

I haven't been fired, but I also haven't gotten a job yet. I just turned 15, but part-time jobs are legal at this age in NH.

Glad you're okay, but I hope you're not too shaken up right now. That sounds awful! At least you told the assholes what you think.

18. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I got let go in October. Office politics and missing several days because I was in the ER... I was contract, so I got screwed. I still deal with headaches and dizziness from back then, so my life still sucks. I gave 4 1/2 years of great customer service, but you're just a number in a call center.

19. MerBear

im glad, i did. but safe to say, i'll get arrested one of these days XD

20. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

No, but I just recently quit my job. It was one of the easiest things I've ever done because of the circumstances I was in. I now own my own business and have other employers begging me to work for them. You WILL get more opportunities. :hug: