1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GAY GUYS: Would your parents rather you be bi?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuseduser99, Jun 3, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

I've been out to my mom for about a week now, and she'd rather me be bi than gay. She hasn't said it to me personally, but she keeps saying things like "maybe you're bi. Maybe you like both and you can find the right girl" and "you're confused. You don't know what you are yet since you've never been with anyone".

Do your parents feel the same way? Did you get a similar reaction from your parents when you came out to them?

2. Kabuki

Fortunately I didn't. But I believe that my mom will be very opposed to the idea of me being bi. I mean, she already says being gay is not okay(even though she respects me) so I'm pretty sure that being Bi will get a very wrong reaction from her.

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think there are any other family members who know me that could possibly care less whether I'm bi or gay, than my parents.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if my parents would have preferred it, but I think it's ridiculous for any parent to take such a position.

What :***: difference does it make? If you are bi, you will still have feelings of attraction towards the same sex. Being bi isn't a compromise option until you come round to the idea of being straight.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need to understand where your mother's preference is coming from: the vain hope that you will settle for a girl rather than a boy. If you give in to that wishful thinking, you will have to come out again, this time as definitely gay...eventually.

Do you want to go through that again?

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More than likely, because that would give them hope that I'd marry a girl and have an accident so they could be grandparents. Shows you how self-centered they really are.

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that's not wanting you to be bi, that's wanting you to be straight...

8. the prince

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My parents want me to be straight :dry: I explained to them how that is impossible; now they want me to be bisexual :lol:.

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can be bi and still end up having a long-term relationship with a guy(if you are a guy I mean). You wouldn't have to come out again. It's my sexuality, so it is up to me with whom I tie the knot with if it gets that far. But I know I am still physically attracted to girls and also emotionally. Why do so many think it is impossible for a guy to be bi? :frowning2:

10. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents always assumed I was straight, as did everyone else, so no, they wouldn't want me to have been bi. They died long before I identified that I was gay.

11. Hexagon

It's denial, of a kind. If you're bi, not gay, everything can still be normal. You can marry a girl, have kids and so forth, and never touch another guy's cock.

12. AlamoCity

I've only told my mom that I'm gay and she never once asked if I was bisexual. Perhaps she sees the world as black and white and you can only be gay or straight. With my dad, it would probably be a little easier if I were bi, but I haven't crossed that bridge yet.

I agree that for some parents, having a bi son makes it easier to hold on to the notion that their son might end up with a girl.

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you consider the stages of loss (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance) and the fact that in telling your parents, they're now going through them... their wish for you to be bi is "bargaining". As in "Oh, we acknolwedge that you like guys, but you could still end up with a girl."

So saying you're bi when you're not just prolongs the agony for your parents and forces them to deal with the loss a second time when they realize you're really gay. You aren't doing anyone a service by doing that.

14. Jethro702

Yep.... but if I ever told them I was gay they'd rather I be straight, that is the only right way in their minds, sadly. When I do tell them they'll just have to deal with it like everyone else will.

15. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know, I think they're all right but I honestly couldn't care less

16. mangotree

My mum prefers to think I'm gay.
    If she thought I was bi, she would be hoping and wanting me to "pick a girl" to fall in love with.
    I think she prefers to know for certain who I'm going to bring home to meet them.

Peace be with you.

17. confuseduser99

I agree that it's part of the bargaining process. I TOLD my mom that I am gay. Even when she says things like "you're probably confused, maybe you're bi" etc. I tell her that I'm gay. She just shrugs it off and says "well, you've never been with anyone, so you don't know for sure".

I think she knows deep down inside that I'm gay, but she just wants to cling onto the belief that maybe I'm somehow not, and that I'll end up living "the normal life". She goes on saying how "I don't look gay, talk gay, etc." so how can I be gay. I tell her that's such a stereotype and she just goes quiet.

I know my mom still loves me, and respects me. Nothing has changed. She's just still dealing with the shock (even though it wasn't that much of a shock since she would think about the possibility of me being gay on a daily basis as she told me when I came out to her). Maybe it's only now sinking in?

18. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think it would make any difference to my parents if I was bi or gay - they would hate it no matter what. I guess being bi would give them a glimmer of hope I would fall for a girl, get married, have kids, and all that stuff, but... I dunno.

19. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My sexuality is not up for a bargain. It is what it is. I have an emotional and physical attraction to girls and guys. I am just going to leave it at that.

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think my parents have always thought that, actually. And sexuality was never talked about. However, that's what I think they thought and have good reason to believe those were their perceptions. Again, my parents didn't care about this stuff. But, boy, were they strict and did they ever harp on other issues.