1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you do when the opposite sex is interested?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JackAttack, Jun 4, 2014.

1. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

What do you do when the opposite sex is interested in you?

There is this girl at work who I think is starting to develop an interest in me. She keeps starting conversations and keeps glancing over at me. Obviously I see it as a compliment but im gay (Im not out either).

For those who have had a similar problem, what did you do?

#1 JackAttack, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
  2. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

Run.

But seriously, the only thing I think you can do is try to stay away from her and hope that she "gets the message"

3. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Don't give her too much attention, be "Ignorant"

4. eternallyapril

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Drop subtle hints?

For me, it depends. If I'm just getting hit on, I tend to ignore it, but if its a friend, then I will usually tell them.

5. leer

their was a neighbor who kept coming to my flat in her 40s I ended up telling her as nice as I can am not interested and then I introduced her to my fella Mark .

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: What do you do when the opposite sex is interested in you?

Well does this BOTHER you?

I mean there is always the chance that you are wrong. But let's assume you a right for a moment.

One of three things will happen if you are right.

1. She will say something, in which case you politely decline.

2. She will say nothing and get bored because YOU didn't get the message. She moves on.

3. She will say nothing then get annoyed that you didn't get the message, then you politely decline.

If it's not actually bothering you that much I wouldn't worry about it...it's not like you owe it to her to prove you aren't interested.

7. thekillingmoon

You could come out to her, if you're comfortable with that. If not try not to show too much interest, even friendly interest can be misinterpreted as romantic interest.

I usually act disinterested from the start cause guys are pretty straightforward with their intentions and cause I know being just friends won't work. So unless you want to be friends with this person and think she could handle it, try not to talk much with her.

8. Hexagon

I say: "Want to catch a movie some time?"

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Depends on your gender and the situation.

For men, it sometimes works to come out to women who like them, and they'll get the message and drop it easily. For women, NEVER come out to a man who likes you.

Or it doesn't have to be related to sexuality. You can decline, say you're not interested or that you have someone else.

10. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it's apparent that i'm pretty good at not "getting the clue" . so with females it's definitely worst, and even if they liked me, i totally ignore the signs XD

11. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I was interested too, I'd peruse it, casually at first, and see where it went.

Happy days :slight_smile:

12. AlamoCity

Well, if appropriate, I just smile :lol:.

The last time this happened was when I went with my friends to a Chinese restaurant. The waitress (around our age, all of us in our early/mid 20s) paid extra attention to me and smiled a lot to me. Not sure what she saw in me because I personally think my other friends were "better looking." I simply smiled when she checked up on me us and tried to avoid eye contact as much as possible.

Now, if it's a person you actually know and see on a regular basis, some tact and frankness will probably be in order.

13. Gen

Gen

I don't mean to offend, but I find this view to be very simplistic. While heterosexual men doubting and disrespecting the integrity of lesbians isn't all that rare in society, it doesn't mean that heterosexual women are wildly more tolerable. The issue of entitlement in our society is quite alive and prevalent in the actions and common mindsets of both genders.

While society has painted women as property for generations, a rising standard in our heteronomative society paints men as simpleminded, carnal being who can be crafted and molded into a woman's perfect mate. There is never a question of whether he is interested or willing; "as long as he has a penis, he'll be into".The idea that a heterosexual can pressure a homosexual to the other side exists on both sides and this is an issue that should not be ignored.

14. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Why not? You think women should remain closeted to all men who express interest? Isn't that kind of anti-progressive?

OP, this is a somewhat tricky situation. If you're not ready to come out at all, you could just say something along the lines of: I'm not wanting to be in a relationship/involved with anybody right now(if it gets to that point between you). If you are comfortable, you might subtly, but clearly, tell her that you're gay, just try to do it with underlying good nature, rather than being harsh, or abrupt about it.

15. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was just flat out honest and said " Sorry sweetie, Im gay." to which she replied " Darn, I was afraid of that."

16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just say ill fucking kill her and then she stays away :slight_smile:

No but seriously I just say nah I have all I need thank u.

17. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I just carry on with whatever and be completely oblivious :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Well, that's too bad."

It's his problem, not mine! :lol:

19. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I'm interested, "How about coffee?"

20. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

You do have a good point, so yeah, thanks for correcting me. And yeah, there are definitely women who fish after gay men too and can't take no for an answer. Some people want things they can't have. So maybe the OP is better off with flat out rejection.

I do it for safety, since straight men as a whole do not respect or validate female homosexuality. There are so many horror stories, not only of men being more interested after they know, but of lesbians coming out to male friends and then getting sexually assaulted when they spend alone time with them.
    I came out to plenty of male friends and was instantly put in danger fast; so I learned my lesson there.