1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I call in sick?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ghost93, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a friend that is going to the pride parade on Saturday and she said I can come with her. I would love to go as it would be as I have never gone and its kinda a big event for gay people. She's also going with some gay friends of hers and I would love to meet other gay people (seriously I am not friends with any gay people in the real world).

But I have work on the day of the pride parade. I asked a coworker (the only one not assigned for that day) if he could switch schedules but he wasn't able to.

I really want to go as I may not get the chance next year. But I've never called out for work before and I think its bad character to lie about being sick. Also since I mentioned to a coworker earlier that I was trying to get off that day I wonder if my boss would figure out that I wasn't really sick and that I was faking it.

2. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

I did. Although I have an actual sore throat atm. :frowning2:

3. Hexagon

If you like. It's not the most honest thing to do, but a lot of people do it, and pride is something you should get to experience. If you want to make it believable, you could try experiencing symptoms before and after. Chances are your coworker won't remember this is the day you wanted off anyway.

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How good and accepting is the co-worker? That is the wildcard here. I personally wouldn't do it because it is dishonest to me.

5. Isa

Isa

Can't you work half the day really effectively and then take the rest off for the parade? :slight_smile:

6. DangerAlex

I pretty much agree with this. If you want to go, are able to go, and it's important to you, then I'd say go for it. This isn't something you want to get in the habit of doing of course, but for something like the pride parade I can see just cause.

7. TraceElement

I understand you wanting to go and calling in sick for the day. Just remember that there will be people with cameras and most will be posted to social media. This could come back and bite you in the ass if management finds out.

8. a possibilty you may run into someone from work there? (that you may of thought may not have been into the whole pride thing) then you would be busted.

also, your manager may ring your house phone laster in the day just to see if you are feeling any better and if you share it with your parents they could pick up and be like oh blah blahs out with friends, then you would be busted.

always scenarios like that can happen haha.

also depends on how many people you asked to try to cover you. word could always get round oh blah blah wanted x day off, can you cover? and your manager may of overheard others talking about trying to get cover for you.... not that they would but it does happen.

edit: ive always been to scared about lying and loosing my job so no i wouldnt advise it. but im just far too up tight haha!

9. 741852963

Personally, I would say no. Its a bit dishonest pretending to be sick and could cost you a job if you are rumbled. Also, the fact you have asked other staff if you can have the day off, were told no and then are coincidentally sick on that day may be a dead give away.

Now I'm biased as the whole gay pride parade and gay "scene" thing has zero appeal for me, but surely there will be other years? (just make sure you book a day's holiday in advance next year, its not the end of the world waiting a year) Or surely you could just go to a gay club if you want that sort of thing (they must surely have special event nights?) - or another city's pride? Or if you want the carnival atmosphere there are other parades, no? Mardi gras etc?

10. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    UPDATE. The friend I was considering going to the parade with just told me she won't be able to go because she has work that day. This makes my decision a whole lot easier. I won't go (since I won't know anyone there), and I won't have to feel guilty about lying.