1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Not Get Embarrassed In Convos About Sexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JStevens96, Jun 5, 2014.

1. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I tend to get embarrassed or uncomfortable when people I'm not too familiar with mention homosexuality or question my sexuality.

Like if someone says "Hey Sal, heard you're gay, is this true?" I get so uncomfortable despite the fact I tell some people.

I think the fact that I fear my family finding out through someone else is what scares me.

But how can I just not get so nervous or embarrassed? I feel like I get super red in these situations. Ugh. Just can't wait to come out to my family but it is so stressful.

2. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats my biggest concern, and the reason why I haven't told any of my coworkers. I could care less what my coworkers think but if by some slim chance someone said something that got back to my parents, things could get really bad.

3. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

My Dad knows and is supportive but my mom doesn't nor does the rest of my family who I don't see at all but if they find out, my mom does, I just get so worried. I feel I can't even be myself outside.

4. mangotree

I think it just takes time to be able to talk completely openly about being gay with non-gay people.
    Sometimes it feels like they're asking for malicious reasons (99% of the time they're not).
    Sometimes it feels like they see you as kind of a fun "gimmick", something new to talk about.
    Sometimes it feels like they're trying to invade your privacy.

Also, gay people often cop a bit of flack in the media and online about "rubbing our sexuality in people's faces", so it's easy to get into the habit of not wanting to talk about it a lot.

I guess try to look deep inside and find the cause for your embarrassment. Once you address that, the symptom should slowly dissipate. The cause might not even be related to sexuality.

Peace be with you.

5. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I've never been asked outright.. Not sure how I would respond.

6. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would get nervous too. It's really not any of their business one way or another.

7. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I get nervous too... some kid calls me gay. I'm not sure if it's because he legit knows I'm gay, or if it's because he's just making friendly jokes with him. He seems to bring it up a lot... so I wouldn't be surprised if he knew. I guess he's not the type to hate, just the type to say things without thinking. To be quite honest, I don't care if people suspect I'm gay. I just don't like it when they confront me about it...

8. BelleFromHell

I feel the same way. I'm not comfortable saying the words "gay" or "lesbian" out loud, even when I'm around LGBT people and allies, which has made coming out darn near impossible.

Take yesterday, for example. I was at a Spencer's getting some rainbow stuff for pride month, and when I got up to the register to pay, I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. Luckily for me, the cashier was super nice and didn't even ask me about anything. He looked like Bob Marley, only with shorter dreads. :lol:

I felt better after that. Hopefully if I start wearing my pride stuff in public, I won't have to die in the closet. :slight_smile:

9. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Same, except I'm not worried about it getting back to my family (they live in different cities than me) so I'm not sure what the cause is. May be internalized homophobia? or a fear of being judged differently... three of my coworkers are openly gay and they're treated fine, but I'm terrified of anyone possibly finding out I'm gay too but I know it is irrational. Also have issues using lgbtetc terms outloud... I want to be confident and I don't know why I'm so scared because I can usually ignore people having dumb opinions towarsa me for anything else :/ Sorry op, no advice from here right now.

10. BelleFromHell

Btw, when I come out to someone, I like to let one of my favorite songs play in my head, then let the "I'm gay" just slip out. It doesn't get rid of your anxiety 100%, but it still helps. :wink:

11. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, it's a catch 22. I was walking around a local city famous for having a larger homosexual population here locally, and I enjoyed the people watching now that I'm out of denial. But it would be weird for someone to just walk up to me and be "you bi or gay?". Now, if we are in the conversation, and it's been going for 5 minutes, then I wouldn't care even though I am not out to everyone.

When I do get a job in the future, I will choose to stay in the closet unless the environment is LGBT friendly. I am really not into talking about social lives at work; it only causes trouble anyways even when I was "straight". Keep business and pleasure separate.

#11 QueerTransEnby, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  12. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I really just want to be open & find a beautiful boyfriend & everything but just the thought of it getting to my family before I tell them scares me.

13. thelamekidd

Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel exactly the same way. I get very uncomfortable when someone brings up my orientation, because I feel like we can talk about so many other things, why that? As far as "not being nervous" goes, remember that the only person that can ever truly bring you happiness is yourself. I know it's stressful, but even coming out to a few people is a big step. Don't sweat it too much, come out to everyone when you're ready :slight_smile:

14. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oi! I love how there's a common misconception of the definition of sexual orientation and sexuality being the same thing:lol:

In conversations about sexuality: I was nervous as first but then I realized that sex is an ordinary aspect of life and that there's nothing to be embarrassed about.
    In conversations about sexual orientation: I kind of get embarassed but I think that's because we see "gay", "straight" as labels; we grew up with seeing people as people. I think its ordinary to get rather embarassed when sexual orientation crops up in a conversation. We don't want to label ourselves at "gay" or straight, we just want to say: "I am me and I like boys/girls."

15. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Yes I don't want t to be labeled like that at all. Unfortunately I have to but it definitely makes me uncomfortable to speak of out of the fear it will get to someone it shouldn't get to.

16. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I don't care if anyone else isn't okay with it. I have tried to care about what other people think, but I just don't have it in me. And that's why I just be who I am, and do the things I'd like to do.

17. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Wish I can think like this.

18. BelleFromHell

I envy your way of thinking. If I thought the same way as you, my internalized homophobia would burn to the ground... :astonished:

19. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Ugh. Being gay is hard. Or at least my mind makes it hard lmao

20. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It'd have been nice to have this mentality years ago. I just adopted this way of thinking and it feels liberating, don't know why I didn't have this mindset earlier!