1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SqueakyBubbles9, Aug 17, 2008.

1. So, I just had to bring this up. If it has already been brought up, then this should be deleted.

Anyways, do any of you honestly and genuinely believe the world will end in 2012? There are some people who say yes, and some who say no. However, there are some who say that something will happen which will shift human consciousness, but will not end the world. We briefly discussed it in sociology, and the teacher said it was something to cause mass hysteria much like the entire Y2K business. I personally think that nothing is going to happen.

Any thoughts? All opinions are welcomed.

2. Mind Freak

I'm not sure.
    But if it does have to end.

Why does it have to end the same year I graduate highschool.

Some graduation present!

3. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not too worried about it.
    Whatever happens, happens, but I don't think anything will.

4. tylerksub

tylerksub Guest

Copy pasted from Wiki
    ~~~
    2012 is claimed by some to be a great year of spiritual transformation (or apocalypse). This claim is based on Christian text, Mayan civilization or some other source. However, there is no agreement whether in 2012 there will be the end of civilization, or humanity will be elevated to a higher level, or a new human species will evolve, or some other major catastrophe will occur.[14]

Many esoteric sources[15] interpret the completion of the thirteenth B'ak'tun cycle in the Long Count of the Maya calendar (which occurs on December 21 by the most widely held correlation) to mean there will be a major change in world order.

Accordingly, several eclectic authors claim that a major, world-changing event will take place in 2012:

* The 1997 book The Bible Code claims that, according to certain algorithms of the Bible code, an asteroid or comet will collide with the Earth.
    * The 2006 book 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl by Daniel Pinchbeck discusses theories of a possible global awakening to psychic connection by the year 2012, creating a noosphere.
    * Patrick Geryl predicts a pole reversal. This has happened many times in the past. Geryl also predicts that the Earth will start rotating in the opposite direction, although a geomagnetic reversal does not require the Earth to change its rotation direction. He does not explain from where the required energy will come. The Earth functions as a gigantic gyroscope. The energy required to rotate the poles would be immense.[16]
    * Riley Martin claims that Biaviian aliens will allow passage aboard their 'Great Mother Ship' when the Earth is 'transformed' in 2012.

Other prophecies and apocalyptic writings and hypotheses for this year include:

* Terence McKenna's numerological novelty theory suggests a point of singularity in which humankind will go through a great shift in consciousness.
    ~~~
    I dont believe a word of any of it. I am going to continue to the same me until i become old senile and bitter and i will not let some calender hoopla change my attitude towards anything.
    Anouther thread about the year 2012
    http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6929

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. Bryan90

In my opinion this is going to be hilarious!!

If something were going to happen in 2012, it would be because WE wanted it to happen. It's like the self-fulfilling prophecy. And something big happens almost EVERY year!

Though who knows.. keep an open mind right?

7. Eponine

Meh. I doubt anything will happen. But if something does, bring it on.

8. partietraumatic

what about the london olympics!!! How very british that the world will end rather than us get our olympics lol

9. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

I don't see why everybody is so frantic.

If it is true then there is absolutely nothing our race can do about it.
    So stop worrying and live your life as nobly you can. (*hug*)

At this rate come 2012, we will end up destroying ourselves our of fear.
    As Bryan said if everyone is fearing an apocalypse than we will undoubtedly create one.

10. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

If it happens it happens but I don't think it will

11. Amy

Amy

im not really sure. a very good friend of mine has these "spiritual gifts of prosephy in his family"(which im totally torn about on wether its real, or just some strange genetic thing), and they are convinced that the world will end soon. it really sounds completely insane. oyshf, me and my crazy life.

but i really dont want it to. itll be my first year of college and...i really want to, like, live. lol

it makes sense, in a crazy way that it would end. i wrote something about it a while ago, ill try and find it...wherever it is. 3 PCs and 2 thumb drives...oy, im a nerd.

my high school paper had a very good article on this, ill see if i can get a copy.

12. TyraBanksIsFierce

Well we just avoided the world ending 9th August, Becasue of some chance of it ending with a "Large Hadron Collider" thingie being tested.

13. Bookmarked

I don't think that it'll be as simple as "One disaster = end of the world". As interesting as flipping a switch and dooming all creation sounds, I seriously doubt that it'll happen all at once. Even if we get a meteor shower or alien invasion or some other cataclysm, humans tend to be resillient little buggers. Lots of people might die, but you can bet there'd be some corner of the world where -some- people survive. Even if they have to struggle for it.

If anything kills us all off, it'll be something that sneaks up on us gradually, making things worse and worse, killing greater and greater numbers. Like plague, famine, war, climate change...it all sounds very Malthus-like.

I can hardly wait. Bring it on.

14. UnderARock

Out Status:
    Some people
    In sort no i dont believe any predict of the ends of days.

Here is a skeptical article about predictions of 2012 that you might want to read over or listen to.
    http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4093

15. Amy

Amy

^ i disagree ^

if a huge rock did come speeding towards the earth, it would also be burning up and melting rock if it was going fast enough, most of earths life would probably be gone, either hit or vaporized. Imagine hiroshima, but everywhere.

any one who could survive that, is a superhuman.

if it does happen, just blame martin

16. Jonathan

Eh, if it happens it happens, nothing we can do about it.

:roflmao:

17. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    2012 is apparently an important time for spirituality. Read Diana Cooper's book 'Angel Answers', she talks a little about it. We humans are meant to become more spiritual or something.

I do not believe the world will end in 2012. I don't see my life ending at 20 years old.

18. nickmc

I don't believe it. And thus I'm going to assume that nothing will happen and keep on living as always.... no change. I wouldn't want to know the date of my death anyway. Or even the year. I hope it just takes me by surprise. That's my opinion anyway

19. Henrike

Depends how huge the rock would be. :icon_wink It would wipe out tons of people, no doubt, but if it was only a few miles big, more than a few locations would be left untouched. Problem is, the climate changes would cause a massive disruption to the Earth's ecology. This would lead to a gradual period of starvation as photosynthesis is greatly slowed down, thanks to the large amounts of aerosols suddenly entering our atmosphere. <3 As plants are needed for an environment's primary consumers to survive, tertiary consumers have a snowball's chance in Hell.

...*cough* In regards to 2012, I don't believe in it. In fact, I REFUSE, since that's the year I'd be getting my bachelor's degree. If I ended up being wrong, I think it'd be a very fun period of death. :grin:

20. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hardly. There's nothing at all that even suggests something major will happen in 2012, and if by some chance the Earth does end, I won't really care - I'll be dead! People have been predicting pole reversals and alien landings forever, and this doesn't seem any different.