1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do people hate on those who don't want to have kids?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thekillingmoon, Jun 6, 2014.

1. thekillingmoon

There seems to be a lot of negativity when you tell someone you don't want to have children. I don't get why, it's none of their business. I'm 30 and I don't have kids, it's my choice and yet people think I'm unfortunate and even feel sorry for me. Then I tell them I don't actually want to have kids and they react negatively and say things like "life is meaningless without children". I've even been told that if I don't have kids, I won't fulfill my role as a woman. Whatever that means.

Why do they care? I mean I don't go around telling anyone why they shouldn't have kids. I see it as their choice and it doesn't concern me.

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This society, well the world in general is based on reproduction and sustaining the human population, i find it funny how little people think inside their minds like saying your a "waste" for not wanting children or telling a gay or lesbian person they go against nature

3. White Knight

I don't go for "hate" but yeah there is negativity towards people who doesn't want to have kids, especially women.

To most people our only reason to be is keep life circle going, making/raising future generations.

I just see it as another stupid quirk of straight people.

4. kem

kem

Do they really? D: I had no idea. I used be against the idea of having children, but I've since changed my mind. I'd love to adopt kids and I'd like to have my first one by the time I'm 25...

E: Having said that I kind of wish people stopped having kids, or at least settled for 1 or 2.

5. regain my hope

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i dont get it i just think that you do what ever makes you happy and if that means no kids then it means no kids its what ever works for you i always like to say to people who try to tell me what to do with my life "are you going to live it for me"

i personally want kids and so does my partner but i have friends that dont and they are so happy and everything so what ever makes you happy and its your life

6. White Knight

While reading this a question popped into my mind...

I wonder how many of those bad parents forced to have kids or charmed by ideal of having children?

For me having children is a huge responsibility which in my mind I can't/don't want to shoulder so no children.

7. tulipinacup

From where I live there used to be a tradition of pre-arranged marriage and thank goodness it's already banned.

I don't see these people "hating" on those who don't want to have kids but I think they see it something that is weird or like what you said, unfortunate. My mum will always tell me how very happy my dad was when I was born because I'm the only guy in the family so I get to preserve our family name so it's kinda sad though that I'm gay lol.

8. Nick07

Do you honestly feel that they hate you? Perhaps they just don't understand? Or know some women who didn't want to have kids earlier and then they changed their mind, but they can't have them now? (Because of age, medical or social reasons)

9. Melanie

Melanie Guest

Oh Ive heard it all. "Youre selfish" "Dont you like kids?" etc etc.

I think there are more people than we think that are shamed into having children.

Google "Secret Confession I hate being a mom" and get ready for an eyeful!

10. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate it so much when my friends go all like "awww what a sweet kid! Oh that kid is so cute!! Right?" and ask my opinion. When I say I don't find anything particularly cute/beautiful/sweet about little children or babies, they look at me like I'm a weirdo. "How can you say that??" they ask. Well, I'm really sorry for having an opinion of my own! It pisses me off so bad that I can't have my own opinion! "I want two kids" "I want three!" "I want just one" "What about you Al?" "...I don't want kids" "WHAT???? How can you be so terrible? How can you say that? How can you NOT want kids??" URGH. I. Don't. Want. Kids. Pressuring me into having kids just makes me want them less. I wanted kids last when I was four years old! So I can say I've never really wanted kids. I can adopt one, if my partner wants kids, but just one. Firstly I don't want a big family, and secondly I don't want to give birth. And I'm judged for that! Even my mom has made clear that she appreciates my sister more, cause she has said she wants kids....... That's unfair and stupid. :tantrum::angry:

Sorry I lost my cool but that's really touchy of a subject for me :lol:

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it less hatred than patronising pity, especially when it's a woman who doesn't want kids.

It makes many people uncomfortable to see social norms broken; the stability and conservatism of marrying, settling down with 2.5 kids is something a lot of people can't imagine life lacking. Novelty makes people uncomfortable.

However, that isn't to say that wanting that is bad; especially in the most developed countries, we actually need to produce more children to sustain economic, industrial, and cultural growth endangered by an imbalance of too many old people because we have such low birth rates. Children are important, but that's not usually the reason people who behave like that have.

12. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Currently my nerves are overstressed with two little and very special annoying kids.
    I won't say that I never want to have kids but in the moment I couldn't take it.
    So sorry, society. I'm afraid of kids. I kinda panic when they come near me.
    I don't know why.
    But maybe one day. I don't know yet.

13. BelleFromHell

Because society thinks we are all obligated to contribute to the population, even though the last thing our world needs is more people. :dry:

14. PurpleGrey

I'm not fit for motherhood, and I don't care. I don't want the strain on my emotional and physical energy. Plus I have severe depression, and I know something will go very wrong if I lapse on my meds. I can't even look after myself, let alone a screaming kid.

So, no. No kids. When I was younger, mom used to always say I would change my mind about having kids, and that every woman wants one, but that's bullshit. Plus, toddlers can be very creepy.

15. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Your body, your choice. People will never understand that. They have been brainwashed by what is considered original. Every old-school individual wants to see their kids have kids so they can become grandparents. So when they hear someone else say that they don't want kids they just don't get it, or accept it. It's another reason why family members don't accept homosexuality, it's out of selfishness, they think we can't reproduce (we can't have kids though, so smh at them)

16. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I have said since I was a kid myself that I would adopt when I'm in my 30s. That has changed to not wanting kids at all for about a decade, to admitting to myself that I would like to raise a kid after I get married, or the emotional equivalent. When I was vehemently against it, I was subject to some cruel things. I figure if someone doesn't want kids, there is always a reason. They should let them be.

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    OMg Yes I noticed , My mom and I were talking about this a few days ago and she said that every woman must have a child and I told her that there are some people in the world that do not want kids and are happy without them then she kept trying to shove having a kid down my throat and how great it is . Personally I don't think I want kids in my life right now , I don't know if I'll change my mind or not but I'm very happy without them .
    the one worry I hear is Oh you'll be lonely without kids who is gonna take care of you when you get old . I think the only reason my mom had me was to have someone that takes care of her when she gets old that's all she seems to talk about . I personally would only have a child if I truly wanted them .

18. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not so much that people don't understand, because the lack of understanding is... well, understandable. It's when people don't try to understand or, when you give them your reasons, throw you condescending thinly-veiled insults instead of respecting your decision (which is one you should really have a high degree of autonomy over since it's your body, your emotional health and many years of your life). The reasons I think have a lot to do with personality and how much effort a person is willing to put into getting their head round a curveball concept; lots of people have plenty of reasons for having a kid (legacy, feels right etc) but will ignore other people's reasons for not having a kid, of which there are also many. It's still very individual, and like many things it really depends on the person's temperament and how open they are to ways of thinking that run against the grain of their own.

19. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because people take every possible opportunity to hate other people. If everyone lived the expected way, we'd have a machine and not people.

20. Cass

I personally don't "hate" people who don't want kids but it's hard to date them because I do. If a relationship is going to last long term goals like starting a family have to be similar. Won't hate though