1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another inquiry into Chinese text

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Browncoat, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mmkay, I'm now trying to figure out what exactly "Browncoat" would best translate to in Chinese... Might be a little harder than Serenity to get an exact translation, since it while it does refer to a "brown coat" it can also be seen as a political movement/philosophy.

I did throw "browncoat" into yellow bridge (a site An Gentlemen suggested) but there was no direct translation - meanwhile the combination of "brown" and "coat" yields a lot of options.

I'm also wondering if this text translates to something along those lines?:

[​IMG]

Again, I apologize for my ignorance on the subject :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: - and thank you for any help!

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Whats Brown Coat??

Also I can't read the first word but the next two is.. Big and Clothing??

3. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

You should feel bad for not knowing this, it's someone who fought against the alliance in firefly.

4. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's from a nerdy sci-fi series. Chinese and English are the only languages that survived in their future world.

Hmm... so it sounds like this is less clear cut/more-so poorly translated by the fans than the text for serenity (宁静).

Is this maybe clearer for the text?
    [​IMG]

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I finally found the actual characters by name for the script above:

褐大衣

or "hè - dà - yī"

Which apparently translates along the lines of large dark clothing, hopefully akin to a long brown coat... I'm not sure if the phrase itself actually makes sense though?

If I throw it in something simplistic like google translate I do indeed get "brown coat" out of it - but not sure how reliable that is.

Meanwhile I saw someone suggesting perhaps putting "ren" or ("man/men" I presume) on it - since most of the symbols related to "soldier" would imply a sense of order/obedience. I almost wonder if a phrase for "warrior," "freedom-fighter," or "rebel" would be something better to use? ~ perhaps something like... 反抗人 or 反叛人?

#6 Browncoat, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Don't use translate for Brown coat, there won't be a translation for it.

Sorry I can't help you here

8. Emulator

Yes, 褐大衣 is a direct translation of brown coat. It's the exact meaning - 褐 is brown, 大衣 is coat. Or "big clothing", if you break the phrase up.

反抗 and 反叛 mean "to oppose", or the verb rebel in that case. So 反抗人 and 反叛人 do mean the noun rebel.
    An alternative you can consider is 自由战士, which is "freedom fighter" directly translated - 自由 means freedom, 战士 means fighter.