1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you feel guilty if you don't recycle?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have gotten this way. I just learned that some parts of the country aren't as equipped to deal with recycling plastic bottles, aluminum cans, and whatever ... or you have to look a little harder to find the places to put these things.

I do feel guilty if I don't recycle something a person can and should recycle.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm the same way! And it bothers me when people don't recycle something obviously recyclable.

3. BelleFromHell

[​IMG]

My mom and I recycle, but I'm staying at a family member's house now. They don't recycle, and there's nothing I can do about it, but throwing away so much plastic and metal makes me feel guity... :frowning2:

4. Sitri

I feel more... afraid. The environmental science teacher at my school is insane. Other teachers are afraid of her.

5. Hexagon

Yes.

I don't think it will be enough to save the planet. But neither am I going to give up on the cause because it seems hopeless.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I do feel guilty. I do a decent job of recycling. But some things don't recycle in my area, and I feel guilty throwing those things away. For example, plastic containers sold in the produce section holding something like berries or prewashed salad mixes. I try to avoid such things as much as possible, but I like berries too much to swear off completely. (Fortunately some of the better berries are still available in paper cups at a produce stand where I shop. Or were as of last summer.) Also I feel less guilt when something is on clearance. I figure that yes, the carton will go to the garbage...but at least someone (me) is benefiting from the contents, first.

7. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

Yes but it's a very rare occurance as I'm a very green person.

I'm also guilty of being one of those people who puts pressure on people to recycle.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. But recycling is very easy for me. I just have to put things in the right bin. I'm not a particularly wasteful person.

If everyone whose life causes environmental damage plays their part, we can at least alleviate the harm.

9. lkey8

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I know what you mean, but well, here in my city it's not obligatory to separate the trash in organic and inorganic, unlike another cities in México.

And well yes,you may said it seem hopeless, and sometimes it does, but well in my school we are around 1000 students and we have these containers where you put the pet in one and the aluminium in another, separate from the rest of the garbage, and I've seen how much bottles of pet and how much aluminium cans they recycle in one week and per year.
    And then it's when it seems a lot, maybe almost nothing compared to the amount that is not separated, but it is like when you see how small is the amount of 4-6 people in a family vs. 1000 people. And we are just a small percentage of humanity, and it may be small, but it does make the difference. Because a big action is made of small actions.

And anyway what is an ocean but a multitude of drops?:smilewave

10. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yes I recycle everything, but sometimes I can't be bothered with the small pieces.

11. LiquidSwords

Yes. If I'm not at home and have to put my bottle in an ordinary bin I feel terrible!

12. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No because we live in an area where recycling costs money and we're lower class. Saving the planet isn't important as food on the table. I guess since I have a reason I don't feel guilty or I'm heartless. Don't ask which.

13. AlamoCity

Yes, but it's very easy for me. My city has two types of trash pickup: the regular trash and the recycling. We get two 96-gallon trash cans that get picked up weekly. The recycling trash can gets all the plastic, paper, aluminum, and glass; the regular trash one gets all the rest. We don't really "sort" much other than separating the trash from recycling.

If I'm not home and I have a plastic/glass disposable bottle that I want to throw away, I will try to find a recycling can or just hold on to it till I get home and put it in our recycling can. Rarely, I will just put it in the trash can and feel guilty for a minute, but then just move on.

14. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I feel guilty when I eat eggs from non local chickens or step on a bug. You can bet I feel guilty if I throw away something reusable. I crochet things out of recycled clothing and plastic bags. I recycle all my cans, and not just because I'm too poor not to. I find things other people threw out and use them myself.

15. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

No. I do when possible but I've worked at enough companies to see how much goes to waste no matter what that I feel apathetic about it, unfortunately.

16. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Dear lord. I feel like I criminal when I throw away an empty Poland Springs bottle.

17. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recycle when I am in school.. but when I am at home there is not any recycling available in my area. So, there is not much that I can do when I am home.

18. White Knight

Yes. I try my best to recycle and save power/energy.

Luckily I play in a printhouse where our paper waste collected regularly.

Turkey kinda ill equiped for recycling however that caused a new job to born for poor people. They collect paper, metal, glass or plastic from garbage containers and sell them.

19. Weekender

Yes.

Our trash company holds a local monopoly on recycling services, and their prices are outrageous. So we can't afford recycling, but you should see the mountainous bags of recyclables we keep stacked in our garage. Sometimes our neighbors let us dump them into their recycling bins.

Even if we can't recycle, we usually at least re-purpose some of the stuff around the house.

20. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would really really like to recycle things. I lived in England as a kid and when we were there we used to recycle bottles and cans and things... I live in India now and there's no system for recycling things at all.

All the stuff I'm reading in this thread about separating trash and stuff isn't a thing here. Everything goes into one big dump and then ragpickers go through it and take stuff that they can sell. Which is kinda recycling, I guess, but it's on a really small scale. It doesn't really count. We do recycle newspaper, we sell it to people who make paper bags out of it, but it's really not very much at all. There isn't a system for recycling bottles/cans.

When I was in school, in 6th grade, there was a "nature club" and part of the job was to come early and stand at the school gate and confiscate any plastic bags that were brought into the school, because our school was apparently a "plastic-free zone". It was pretty useless, because I asked our seniors what they were doing with the bags we confiscated... one girl told me vaguely "oh... we'll send them to be recycled" but then I saw her just throwing them in the bin.

I left the nature club after I saw that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: