1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling Family members by Their names Formal?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ravi-VIXX777, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Ravi-VIXX777

I hope this doesn't come off as a rant, even though I was ranting inside my head. I wake up today and my grandmother and uncle (who is gay btw) are in the house. I say good morning to my grandma and my dad tries to correct me, but he's wrong. Then I say 'Good morning Dominik'. No problem right? Wrong!

My dad tries to correct me again by telling me I should say 'Goodmorning UNCLE Dominik'. Then rambles on about disrespect from the new generation and how he has earned his title as 'Uncle'. Not to sound misanthropic but was it really necessary? I could understand it being formal, but acknowledging someone enough is formal (normally I'd just walk by them because I could care less about social 'nicesesities'). And how did he earn the title? All he had to do was live. Heck, even if he was dead he would still be my uncle. He did nothing besides be my mothers brother, which was not his will or choice.

Do you think I'm in the wrong for this? :bang:

2. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

No, you're not in the wrong at all.

3. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :slight_smile: that just brought a smile and laugh to my face, you werent wrong dude, i would have just rolled my eyes at my dad if he said that too me though (in my head, of course)

4. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all. I work for my dad. Anywhere else I call him Dad, but when Im at work I call him by his actual name.

5. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is no right or wrong in this situation.

I don't but I think I should start calling my uncle by his title because in my case he is above me

6. AlamoCity

I've never addressed my parents by their name.

On aunts and uncles, I call my aunts "Aunt [first name]."

Some uncles will be addressed as "uncle," and one gets addressed simply by his first name (he's my uncle-in-law but we are very good friends so there's no formality in our relationship).

7. Hiems

The usage of titles depends on the culture you were raised in and the type of relationship you have with the person in question.

As a Viet guy, I was taught to address all older Viet folks with a title followed by their name as a means of showing respect. For instance, a middle aged woman would be addressed as “cô” (madam) followed by her name.

I don't force other Viet folks to follow by this standard when addressing me. For instance, my nephews and niece call me by my first name without using titles, e.g. chú for paternal uncle, cầu for maternal uncle.

This is due to me being Americanized and thus not following tradition haha. There's a bunch of other ways that I break away from my heritage, but that's a story for another day.

8. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would call someone by the name they preferred; if they wanted Uncle as a prefix, then I would call them that.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my family, we use the title when speaking directly to them "Auntie *name*", but use just their first name when speaking about them out of their presence.

I never address my parents by their first name. With spouses of my uncles and aunts, though, I refer to some, the ones I respect and like more, with "uncle/aunt," others I just refer to by their first name.

Some social niceties have large implications; by refusing to refer to someone by their honourific, you are disrespecting them if it's expected.

10. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I always call my relatives (beside maternal grandparents and my mom) by their given/ chosen name. I think it's respectful. You are no less of a person than him. Does he call you nephew Ravi? Is that distinction really necessary?

11. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I always use the title before their name, its just respectful.

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I call my aunts and uncles by their names, and always have done. I feel weird addressing them by 'aunt' or 'uncle' - seems like something little children do.

I call my mother by her first name to piss her off, but otherwise - never.

#12 imnotreallysure, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  13. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I don't think of it as formal, more the opposite. Calling your grandpa Richard is abandoning a more affectionate term, and it feels less loving. However for an uncle, I think calling them by their first name isn't so bad. But if you did it to parents or grandparents, it kind of makes you sound like you don't love them.

14. Blossom85

I know this is old, but I think this is one we could revive.. I hope anyway, I don't wanna get in trouble for reviving an old thread, but it's not advice or giving support to a member who is long gone, It's more so on giving opinions on something everyone will have a view on.

I myself am 29 and I still call my aunties and uncles, by [Uncle or Aunty] and then their first name.. The only 2 people I don't is one of my uncles who married into the family and he actually told us that we could just call him by his first name.. And another Aunty who married into the family and I was an adult already by the time she married into the family so I feel it's respectful enough now for me to call her by her first name..

I still call one my uncles ex girlfriend [Aunty] and her first name despite the fact they never got married and it was many years ago when I was still very young. I also call one of my aunties ex husbands by Uncle as well.. He is still fairly close to the family as my Aunty and he had two children together.

I feel that my family deserve the respect of myself calling them by their title and I have never seen it another way.. On the other hand.. My niece is 2 and a half and she calls me by a little nick name she has given me as she can't say my first name.. And although we at times do refer to myself to her that I'm [Aunty] and [Insert my first name] when speaking to her.. I honestly don't mind if she grows up not calling me By Aunty. I think things are different and a bit more relaxed now.. Maybe when she gets older, she will refer to me as Aunty, but if she doesn't.. I am not going to rouse on her for not using my title. I want her to feel comfortable with me and not feel I am too strict and harsh which is how I felt some of my Aunties were.. Not all.. But some of them.

15. White Knight

In Turkish culture calling your relatives, other than similar age range ones like siblings or cousins and nieces, by their first name is very rude.

Just like some far east cultures we also address other people in our lives usually by honorary titles like uncle, brother, sister or aunt. If people you are talking is very old you can even call them <name> father or mother. You can use titles directly to those strangers if it won't cause any confusion (like being many older males to call as brother).

This why I still have hard time calling my elder friends by their first name without any brother or sister attached afterwards.

Also we have different nouns for older brother and sister. Younger ones usually called like... siblings I think.

Enough cultural nonsense from me for today. :grin: