1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does sexuality influence the choice of your career?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by trauma, Jun 7, 2014.

1. trauma

At least for me this becomes a very relevant question.. I prefer a career where I can have me personal space and freedom.. Over the years my loved ones have been asking me to try my luck at bureaucratic services given the prestige value of the career. But I have been pretty skeptical. I believe certain professions adhere to a normative notion of gender roles.. I can't survive in those..

Do you have some thoughts to share on this matter?

2. edgy

edgy Guest

sexuality should have nothing to do with your career, so i don't see it would affect anything.

3. trauma

You may be right but since I come from a conservative country where homosexuality is a crime, the choice of a safe profession still matters a lot...

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't, for me.

5. edgy

edgy Guest

they will look down upon you if you give hints, or maybe even threaten. any chances of getting out?

6. I think sexuality itself pretty rarely influences someone's career. However, I think that feeling misunderstood and left out by society can influence what people want to do with their lives. I really believe that being queer and mentally ill has made me more interested in learning about people's struggles. Ultimately this is has pushed my education in unexpected directions and eventually led me to wanting to teach college.

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I don't think it affects your path of choice, but experience.. Although put you off.

8. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It hasn't affected my career choice.
    I'm going into the close-minded world of firefighting. Hopefully the next generation of firefighters will be more accepting because of the age they grew up in, but the current generation is not.

The lack of acceptance, or even tolerance, has not influenced my choice to pursue a career in this field.

9. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No, it doesn't affect my future career. The most important thing in my business is getting the work done, not who I'm attracted to.

10. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think more and more it doesn't need to. I'm in private banking/finance--an area which traditionally isn't inviting to women let along gay people. I work for a major firm. I'm out and they insure my partner. Domestic partnership benefits were a deal breaker for me--I wouldn't take a position without them. Luckily most major companies in my industry offer them. An example of how open my firm is: in the States when an employer insures your spouse it is not a taxable benefit but when your employer insures someone you aren't related to that is a taxable benefit, meaning the company's cost of insuring my partner is imputed to me as income and thus I am taxed on about six thousand dollars in "income" that my straight coworkers aren't. My firm decided that wasn't right but they couldn't change the tax code so they actually reimburse gay employees who insure their domestic partners for the extra tax burden. It actually costs my employer a couple thousand dollars a year more to employ me than it does to employ a comparable straight person. They willingly do it to ensure they can draw the best talent, whether gay or straight. The best companies realize that the few companies that don't welcome gay employees are an opportunity to draw in qualified workers by just being decent. A lot of companies work hard at making sure they are gay friendly--because they want the best people.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm getting into law enforcement, and it did not influence my career choice at all. It does depress me to know that it's generally an extremely homophobic field though. Just because we have to be tough doesn't mean we have to put people down basically for nothing.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, it does. But there are more important factors such as race, gender, class etc., which define what your choices will be from birth.

Some companies have white masculine heterosexuality oozing through the windows, while others are very open and good. It sometimes depends on the people you work with; a homophobic boss in an otherwise accepting company can still ruin someone's career. Individuals can often abuse power in systems which are supposed to prevent it.

What scares me is that fields such as law enforcement are so pervasively homophobic. It's horrible to think what people with responsibility and power can do to people they have biases against.

13. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not in the slightest. I do radiography and there are both homosexual and heterosexual people in my department. I think I'm the only bi one though (not that anyone knows I'm bi at work).

Happy days :slight_smile:

14. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I'm going to be a psychiatrist, although I don't think that has anything to do with being gay. When I retire I'll just switch jobs to being an artist.

15. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It has 0 influence on my career choice

16. Gwendolyn

I plan on going into astrophysics(or at the very least, physics), so my field tends to be more lgbt-friendly and more accepting in general to stuff of that nature. They also probably wouldn't mind my atheism.

So no. It didn't have any effect on my career choice.

17. trauma

Thank you all for your responses.. I have got some bit of confidence after reading them.. But as I have said, in a conservative country one has to be tremendously cautious since one can legally discriminate against queer people..

18. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It didn't directly for me, but I was also closeted at the time anyways. I do find a larger percentage of people in the call center environment are gay(at least for the guys). It's not staggering, but I'd say about 15% in my experience as opposed to the typical 2-5% of the male population that is either gay, bi, or transexual in general.

19. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm considering not going into construction because I'm gay. I think a better option may be becoming a history lecturer.

20. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it does.