1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you like your country's national anthem?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JackAttack, Jun 7, 2014.

1. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

With the World cup starting next week, we are going to hear quite a lot of national anthems. So do you like your country's national anthem? Why do you like/dislike it?

I dont mind "God save our Queen" but I dont think it gives that "im proud feeling" when I hear it and its more about the Queen then anything. I think "Jerusalem" or "land of hope and glory" would do better personally. Maybe they would make the football team play better haha.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I don't, and you wouldn't catch me singing it either...

3. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nah, god save the queen doesn't do anything for me. The reasons I don't like it are it's focus on the monarchy, god and imo it's just a really, really dreary song with not a very forceful meaning either. So all sorts of reasons. However I know there are many different versions, and after a quick spell on wiki and a couple other places (National Anthem of England, Britiain, UK), this verse is alright:

Not in this land alone,
    But be God's mercies known,
    From shore to shore!
    Lord make the nations see,
    That men should brothers be,
    And form one family,
    The wide world over.

Rest of it's not very likeable though, it's nowhere near as pacifist as that verse.

The national anthem I really like, though (if it counts) is the Ireland rugby union team's:

[YOUTUBE]rE49ca6j754[/YOUTUBE]

It makes me want to support Ireland when they're playing the Six Nations :lol:

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's entirely a lie - "for those who come across the seas, we've boundless plains to share" is very rich for the country who have a reputation for imprisoning asylum seekers for up to two decades in what essentially function as island penal colonies, and then throw them to the mercy of our unstable and poor neighbour, PNG (who have strict anti-queer laws).

I forgot, I'm almost officially Finnish now. :lol: I like Maamme/Vårt Land, but I'd prefer if it were Finlandia Hymni.

5. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

No, I very much dislike it. This is not the land of the free. The whole song is about war. It's just a stinking flag.

6. jahow95

I'm very proud to be British, and although I think the monarchy is out of date, I think our national anthem identifies a lot of what it is traditionally to be British. Queen, country and God... although I'm not religious either. I don't know, I sing it proudly and happily

7. Techno Kid

Sure it's a lie, but it's a nice lie. :3 A national anthem is supposed to make you feel good about your country. I happen to love your anthem and that is my favourite line in it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don't really like O' Canada. I would like it better with less God and sexism... among other things.

8. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

Well, seeing as I consider myself Anglo-Catalan I'll evaluate both:

English one (God Save the Queen) Asking a supernatural entity to save an undemocratically chosen head of state lacks credibility and, in my opinion, makes a mockery of England.

Catalan one (Els Segadors) It tells our story pretty well as it really captures the struggle that we've faced, mainly at the hands of Spain, over the years. An all round great national anthem.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like The Star-Spangled Banner. Yes it's about a battle and may not fully accurately describe our country anymore, but it showcases the indomitable spirit that made the USA possible.

10. tulipinacup

It's ok. It's not something I would download on itunes.

11. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. It goes ageist everything I believe and stand for.

Happy days :slight_smile:

12. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yes i do the true north strong and free.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd rather depressing honesty about a country than deluded patriotism. If thousands are being imprisoned for poverty and oppression, then I can't sing it without pangs of conscience.

14. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I'm an american and I think this should be the national anthem. I'm not sure where the youtube button is on quick reply so I'll just link
    Federal Funding

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The Star-Spangled Banner isn't the worst in terms of sound, but it doesn't really strike me as all that special. Instrumentally, I prefer it. I, like others here, have a bit of an issue with the lyrics.

Now, that said. I'm probably going to get some flak for this, but it's how I feel. As much as I may dislike Russia's attitude toward several things, they do have a pretty awesome-sounding national anthem. It's just the Soviet Union anthem, with some lyrical changes.

16. Techno Kid

I think the Soviet Union anthem is sooo cool! I listen to the English version a lot. ^ ^

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You know Paul Robeson, a black man, sings the English version? The interesting thing is, the Soviet Union made it extremely difficult for him to leave. Irony at it's finest.

18. The U.S national anthem is a total lie. "Land of the Free" my ass while we have non-violent drug-dealers spending years in prison for just possession. It glorifies war due to the verse "Rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air" and the fact that it was inspired by the War of 1812.

Also, it's more like a flag anthem rather than the national one because the anthem praises our flag, but not our people. I feel that the National Anthem should talk more about the people and the country and less about the flag like Canada and Australia.

19. Techno Kid

That's really interesting... and sad, I did not know that bit of history. :slight_smile:

20. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cringe at most things related to my own country because I'm not the patriotic type, but I'm pretty indifferent to it in general. The only thing I dislike is the reference to God - it seems unfitting in a society that is largely irreligious and/or atheistic.

You hardly ever hear it though - only at sporting events such as the World Cup. Never heard it at school.