1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever hear people say Feminism has already achieved it's goal?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wuggums47, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I've heard people say on many occasions in real life and online that feminism has already achieved equality, and that now they just want to be better than men. This kind of makes me wonder if they pay any attention to the world at large, or even around them. I hear a sexist remark atleast every week, usually more often. Things like calling women out for being "sluts" but later applauding a man as a "player", which are both the same thing. We have never had a female president or vice president in my country. A lot of people say that Obama being elected is proof that we aren't racist anymore, but does one elected official really undo the previous 42? But that's a bit of a different topic. Women are more likely to be the victims of sexual harassment than men. Men are discouraged from becoming homemakers, because they believe that's a woman's job.

Even our language has bias, many people say fireman even when the gender of the firefighter is unknown. People say mankind instead of humanity, misogyny means hatred of women, misanthropy means hatred of all people, not just men. A female breeding dog is a bitch, a male breeding dog is a stud. I can think of more, but I'll move on.

In some parts of the world, particularly Arabic countries, honor killings are still common. Honor killings are usually against women who have disgraced their family, usually by being promiscuous. Generally it is their own father who kills them. There are 20,000 honor killings each year. Some women get killed because they had been raped. Gay men are also targeted by them frequently.

And yet some people think feminism has already reached it's goal.

Well, rant's over, that's all folks.

2. Ridiculous

They don't. Or they just don't care.

Misandry is the word you are looking for. Also stud animals are breeding animals or either sex, not just males (and not just dogs, which Wikipedia says the male variant is just called 'dog' for breeding purposes).

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's usually accompanied by "I could stand them when it was needed," which is gross for several reasons. First, that attitude implies that whoever is saying that is the arbiter of necessity and all movements of equality must be passed by them. Second, it gives the very obvious implication that women are stepping out of "their place." Third, it shows them incapable of listening to the many women who have proof of how they're mistreated. If anything, whenever someone says that, I feel that they provide proof that feminism is still needed.

And with honour killings, most happen in India and Pakistan. The Arab countries, especially the stable ones, tend to be far more open, especially the richer families who have the luxury of choice. It's not really an Arab problem at all, though that's not to say that it doesn't happen there nor that there aren't other massive problems in all cultures.

Of course, feminism has its flaws, such as the white-saviour movement "those poor Muslim women oppressed by their husbands" which makes its way everywhere, and I've seen multiple examples of it on EC. Then there are also the (predominantly white) women who ignore the role race plays into it (many men are often more oppressed than some women for other reasons such as class, race, and ability). Then of course we have trans-exclusionary feminists, who are just plain evil. It's not good to pretend that feminism is a flawless and perfectly good movement. Even feminist women have internalised sexism in some way, and some ostensibly feminist men can turn ugly quickly when women ask them not to speak on their behalf. Not every feminist is Wonder Woman with clear resolve. Feminism has to be about support, accepting differences, and protecting others.

4. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

5. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Well, at my last job, a guy my same age was hired the day after me, for the same job. I made $8.25 an hour.... He made $10.15. He hadn't graduated yet, had no previous experience, and did not do his job well. I completed school years ago, have working and volunteering experience for that job, and worked my ass off. He spent most of his time crudely speaking to girls and hitting on them, but I got in trouble when a girl was flirting with me and I said she had a beautiful smile.
    Day to day, I get catcalls, guys tell me how they will "f*** me straight" and I have been threatened with rape several times. I got 'felt up' while walking into a crowded grocery store because a middle aged man felt entitled to my body. My father believes women are meant to be servants to men because "eve was made for Adam". I get harassed when I get my mail in the front yard after swimming in a sports bra and basketball shorts. I am constantly told what to wear to "get the guys" when I do not want the guys. I can't get an x-ray without being questioned sixteen times over(yes I counted) if I'm sure I'm not pregnant. I do not have the right to my own uterus, or mammary scans because almost all clinics were shut down in my state by old white right wing men. I can't get my tubes tied unless I've already had children. I can't get a mastectomy without gender counseling and corrective therapy without a genetic test. I couldn't show my shoulders in school because someone might find it too sexy. I couldn't wear short socks because of ankles for the same reason. I am not a sexual object. I am an equal. My boobs are not for someone's enjoyment only. I will bind them when I want. I will get paid what I deserve. I want to go outside at night with my dogs without carrying a hunting knife. I want to not be stalked when I go for a walk. I want to be equal. I need to be equal. This goes for everyone. Not just bio-women, not just white women, not just adults.
    I have been told that it is over. That there's nothing left to do. The last person who said that to me got the same rant I just made. He is now a feminist. "I had no idea" was his response. Ignorance is behind the "it's over" statement.

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

It may have improved a little, but we still have a LONG way to go. In fact almost all forms of heterosexism against lesbians is based on misogyny and men still think they're entitled to us.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've had women make more than me for the same job. They were married, though. They didn't do the job any better than I did. It had to do with favoritism. I'm sorry. I'm not the most empathetic on this particular topic given what I've seen. There will always be imbalances. There are all kinds of studies in the U.S. showing how many households are now headed up by women who make more than their male significant others. That number is growing. I don't know if feminism has reached its goal or not. I'm mostly concerned with equitable treatment in the workplace. And, from what I have seen, women have been treated as well as men in places I've worked and have held high positions commanding a great deal of respect and high salaries.

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Another thing I should add is that....well, men and women both have inequalities and injustices directed toward them, but feminism is and SHOULD be about correcting both.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If feminism has achieved its goal, why does anti-gay male homophobia exist? I think that's a self-answering question.

10. Feminists still have more battles to fight. We still have unequal pay, men controlling women's bodies, higher medical costs for women, lack of access to birth control, and less government representation.

11. stormborn

i read a quote somewhere saying that we look back fifty years and say "we thought that was equality?". in fifty more years, we will look back at today and once again think, how could we believe that we had equality?

i've been looking at some studies, and the profound effect of us being cognizant of our gender, and the gender roles/expectations associated with it, has on our ability to perform tasks. it's astonishing, and makes me doubtful that true gender equality will ever exist.

12. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would certainly seem a non-sensical statement. Indeed, there are many places and issues that still need to be resolved for women. I've also seen my fair share of inequalities towards men.

Let's hope one day we will reach a point of true equality for all.

Happy days :slight_smile:

13. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah...and frankly, I used to be one of those people.

I honestly just didn't know that most women get harassed on a daily basis just for walking down the street. Or that female rape victims are often blamed for the attack. Or that "slut-shaming" was a thing. Or that women often felt left out or excluded in society. I just didn't see any of it. And to add to that, I grew up around a lot of the stereotypical, "man-hating" feminists who always said things like "I think we should castrate all men, lock them in cages, and keep them as slaves," so every time someone started talking about feminism or women's rights my gut response was just to roll my eyes and say something like "yeah, whatever."

That being said, my views are changing. I would be lying to say that I'm 100% cured, but I'm getting there. And lately I've been encountering more and more feminists (some of them here on EC) who I enjoy listening to and who really have changed the way I look at the world and certain issues. And as someone who's going into game design, I plan on using some of this newfound knowledge to make games that treat women as equals and that women (as well as men) can relate to and identify with.

14. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Feminism has got more goals to achieve. However the pay difference is to do with life choices. Legally however I believe feminism is pretty much complete (correct me if I'm wrong and there is a law feminists want). World wide feminism has barely began. However I think in the west extreme feminists who hate men often ruin the creditability of feminists who want equals rights. Rape must not become a witch hunt where people are immediately guilty when accused.

There are however lots of gender roles out there such as women are "sluts, men are "players", a man should earn more than his wife, the wife stays at home, women should get custody of there children but the father not, only men should go to war and die, etc...

I don't think the issue is not men hating women but enforced gender roles that meant a lack of freedom for both men and women. Although often the women had(ve) the least freedom.