1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your stance on government recognized marriage?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by butHitlerisDead, Jun 7, 2014.

1. butHitlerisDead

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm assuming since this is an LGBT forum that most, if not all of you, are supportive of same-sex marriage. However, do you think polygamy and incest marriage should be legalized as well? I mean polygamy is consensual marriage (at least in theory), and we already determined marriage isn't simply about procreation (or maybe you think it is...?) so why not let a brother marry his sister (yes I know it's disgusting, but we tell people who find homosexuality disgusting not to base their decision on that so why should we be hypocritical?).Or maybe you think that it puts too much of a risk for their offspring having genetic defects. Do you think pedophilia and bestiality should legal? Or not because they can never be consensual? Or maybe you don't think marriage should even be recognized by the government? And do you think divorce should be easier or harder to obtain? I'm interested to hear your opinions. I'll give my stance after you guys have answered.

*By marriage I mean a union between people recognized by the government with the same benefits as what heterosexual monogamous couples enjoy now, this has nothing to do with marriage within religion.*

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Incestuous and polyamorous relationships will exist no matter what. I think it'd be logical to recognise them and then be able to regulate them along the same lines other marriages are.

As for paedophilia and bestiality, no. Children and animals can never consent. It's rape.

I believe any union should be recognised by the government, but that special tax-breaks and such shouldn't exist. A marriage naturally helps with combining resources, the ability to raise children (often thanks to the help of a joint-income), and automatic legal rights such as undisputed inheritance. But then again, I think wills should just be respected and unchallengeable, and not open to (usually it's parents) questioning them and taking money away from the partner whether they're married or not.

3. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Same-Sex marriage is as far as I support. I feel love is between 2 people, not more than that. Beastiality/Pedophilia absolutely not since there is no pure consent.

4. Laelia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Pedophilia involves a non-consensual act.

Bestiality-it involves a sexual act with an animal.

Gay marriage-a contractual relationship recognized by the state. As such, it can only be entered into by consenting adults.

I can't wrap my head around situations 1 and 2 being discussed at the same time as situation 3. It boggles my mind, really, that one would need to clarify why these differ or why one support marriage between homosexual adults yet not support sex with minors or sex with animals.

5. Gabe92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I believe marriage is an institution that should be outside of government control and regulation.

6. butHitlerisDead

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I only included those because a lot of "traditional" marriage supporters, think that allowing same-sex marriage would lead to marriage to a child or animal. Sorry, I should of clarified I meant marriage not sex.

7. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Marriage is two adults in love, in my opinion. Some people don't need a piece of paper to be married, as it's in their hearts that they are connected. I think of it as respect from the government that they would recognize it. Also... Good for tax reasons.

8. Acm

Acm Guest

I have no problem with polyamory as long as everyone consents to it. I'm definitely opposed to incest, bestiality, and pedophilia though, especially the last two, as they're both forms of rape

9. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I don't agree with polygamy, but I think if we voted on it I'd probably just sit it out, unless the polygamy laws only legitimized polygamy between one man and many women, or something similarly sexist. Incest I'm not sure how to feel about. I definitely don't think fathers should marry their daughters, or any other immediate family members but I'm not sure what to feel about someone marrying their half second cousin twice removed that they only are related to through divorce or something like that. As far as pedophilia and bestiality, those are both rape, and I would fight to the death to stop the legalization of rape in any form.

10. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think polygamy is actually ok, as long as everyone consents, and proper fair laws about it are made.

Incest, no. That puts any children they might have at an undeniable biological risk.

Paedophilia and bestiality, ABSOLUTELY not. It's not consented by everyone involved.

11. twosoups

Actually I don't think the government should recognize any marriage, but some people call that idea crazy.

12. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    MY belief is that governments should recognize and record civil unions for EVERYONE, straight or gay; and that should determine all the legal aspects, protections, taxes, inheritance right, medical powers of attorney, etc. This would be the joining of any TWO people into the status of functioning as a single legal unit, just as a partnership agreement links people together in a business sense. Then, if those people want to have a formal "marriage" ceremony in a church, or in a field of flowers, or jump over a broomstick together, etc, they would be free to do so, but it is the issuance of the government license which determines their legal rights and obligations.

The only PROBLEM with this right way of doing things, is that thousands of existing laws and legal documents and wills and contracts, state, private, and Federal use the term "marriage" in the black-letter text of their laws or terms, so all of them would have to be rewritten to say "civilly united" or something similar. For this practical reason, it is much simpler to declare that "marriage" applies to all gender of couples than it is to change all this existing "stuff". So I declare myself in favor of government recognized "marriage" rather than be pedantic about going back and doing things right in great detail, one law, contract, and insurance policy at a time.