1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

correct use of the word "top"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mikeh, Aug 18, 2008.

1. mikeh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Still being new to this, was wondering if "top" and "bottom" can be used as verbs? (tongue in cheek)

Say some SOB asks, "what are you, gay?"

Would the correct smartass response be, "why, are you looking for someone to top you?"

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. SamAlex728

they can, and often are used as verbs

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't understand why gay men use those terms at all. I know you probably have your preferences but....straight people do it every which direction. (top, bottom, sideways, from behind, on our heads lol ) Don't gay people do that too? *curious*

4. Cool Beans

Like Becky, I've never had gay sex, but it's just slang for giving and receiving of anal sex, isn't it? So, theoretically, you could both be standing or sideways or... on your heads... and still have a top and bottom, right? Or am I just getting this whole anal sex thing really, tragically wrong?

And as SamAlex said, they are frequently also used as verbs.

5. mikeh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh... maybe I've misunderstood this, or just that my attempt at humor is beyond dry...

The way I understood it, "top" gives... thus if a person (assuming male) asked someone if he was gay in a demeaning way, implying that he is asking to receive anal sex would be somewhat insulting. At least to people I've known in the past...

LOL... it must not be funny :lol:

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The correct use of the terms? OK...

This is a top.

[​IMG]

This is a bottom.

[​IMG]

Questions? :slight_smile:

>>>I don't understand why gay men use those terms at all. I know you probably have your preferences but....straight people do it every which direction. (top, bottom, sideways, from behind, on our heads lol ) Don't gay people do that too? *curious*

We do do it every which way. (Sometimes all in one night. :slight_smile: ) But when straight people have sex, no matter how it's getting done, it most often involves the male putting his penis somewhere into the female. When gay men have sex, the basic question is "which of us is going to be doing the inserting?" The one who does is considered the "top". The one who is getting inserted into is considered the "bottom". It doesn't matter where everyone is. If a guy is lying on his back, and his partner straddles him to get inserted, the guy on his back is still the "top", even though he's technically on the bottom. :slight_smile: These terms are most often used for anal, but they can also refer to oral, as well, especially if one person only gives and the other only receives. If a guy likes both giving and receiving, he's usually classified as "versatile"*. Some couples will switch off topping and bottoming, but most tend to prefer one over the other. At that point, they use the term "top" or "bottom" to indicate this. Doing so will prevent guys from picking up somebody at a bar, taking them home, stripping off the clothes, then watching as both of them "assume the position". "You mean, you're a...aw, damnit!" :slight_smile:

Lex

* - this sometimes is further divided into "versatile top" and "versatile bottom". "Versatile top" means "I prefer topping, but I don't mind bottoming", whereas "versatile bottom" means "I prefer bottoming, but I don't mind topping".

7. mikeh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao: Thanks for clearing that up!

Say, have you heard the one "a week in hell?" :icon_bigg

8. tylerksub

tylerksub Guest

A man named Vinny dies and goes to hell.

The Devil says to him "Hey Vinny we've been waitin for ya!".

Vinny smiles and walks with the Devil and the Devil says "I gotta ask you a couple questions, do you like to smoke?" Vinny answers "Ya, I love to smoke." The Devil says "Good you'll like Mondays we smoke everything cigarettes, cigars, weed everything."

"Now do you like to drink?" Then Vinny says "Of course I love to drink." The Devil replies "Great we drink everything on Tuesdays you will fit in great."

"Do you like to have sex?" Vinny says "Hell ya sex is the best." The Devil smiles and replies "We have sex with every type of woman you could think of on Wedesdays."

And the Devil finally says "Now, are you gay?" Vinny frowns and answers "NO I'm not gay! And the Devil looks down and finishes "Your gonna hate Thursdays."

I dont think its funny but theres the one i found. As for your comeback i would say it makes sense to me but i dont think all would get it. Though i dont think that question needs an answer like that.

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    OK, got it. This was the "all I ever wanted to know about gay sex" in one post. :roflmao:

10. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

would you rather have us say catcher and reciever?

11. tylerksub

tylerksub Guest

I'm not too hip on slang but i'm pretty sure the catcher IS the reviever.
    Pitcher-Catcher Giver-Reciever

* if i'm wrong i'l feel so stupid:eusa_doh:*

12. davo-man

The more about hetero-straight people, the weirder they seem :grin:

13. i kinda really wish i'd never entered this thread...

but for some strange reason, i didn't stop reading after the first post. it was kinda like reading diahhorea.

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    :roflmao:

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>And the Devil finally says "Now, are you gay?" Vinny frowns and answers "NO I'm not gay! And the Devil looks down and finishes "Your gonna hate Thursdays."

I was thinking of the one that ends like this:

"Wow, that was incredible! I'm gonna be using that barrel every day!"
    "Every day but Thursday."
    "Why not Thursday?"
    "That's gonna be your day in the barrel."

>>>i kinda really wish i'd never entered this thread...but for some strange reason, i didn't stop reading after the first post. it was kinda like reading diahhorea.

Consider it payback for all the tampon/period/"women only" threads. :slight_smile:

Lex

16. Louise

And that's not even the half of it let me tell you!!! We straights are weird and wonderfull beings, maybe you should put us in zoos and come an look at us :roflmao:

17. SamAlex728

Good point, we may as well go with plug and outlet. Although it sounds weird.

To mix up a quote......

Or.....

Guy 1 --"You have a nice ass."
    Guy 2 --"What, you want me to outlet for you? Sorry I'm a strict plug."

We can stick with top and bottom, dontcha think?

18. Alexander

Oh goodness.

This thread is getting bookmarked.

19. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well I think both straights and gays can agree......the best sex includes both giving and receiving. :grin:

20. mikeh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That'll work for me! Though, your edit to "why, are you looking for someone to plug you?" is a lot more direct... 'top' and 'bottom' would be outside the typical homophobe's lexicon :slight_smile:

Okay, I've got to find out the beginning of that one!

Yeah, I've got a warped sense of humor (too much Kathy Griffin?) :icon_wink