1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do homophobes secretly want us dead?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wuggums47, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I've heard time and time again homophobes quoting Leviticus 20:13, but they usually leave it as "for a man to lie with another man is an abomination." But they usually don't quote the whole passage to hide their real motive, the whole passage is this:
    "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them."

If they really think that they should follow that passage, and they keep quoting it, do they still believe in the part that says we deserve the death penalty? And in the same book of the bible they forbid you to eat shellfish or wear mixed textiles.

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure that the more militant homophobes like Scott Lively and Anita Bryant (not as much anymore) would sure want us dead. If they really want to follow the bible, though, they should read Romans 2:1.

3. idkgrrrl

I agree completely. Plus Leviticus is part of the Old Testament. Like I though the New Testament was to overwrite the old one cause Jesus forgives or whatever.

4. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Wow that's a really good one. I have always liked mark 12:28 - 31.

28 One of the scribes came and heard them arguing, and recognizing that He had answered them well, asked Him, “What commandment is the [a]foremost of all?” 29 Jesus answered, “The foremost is, ‘Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is one Lord; 30 and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Loving your neighbor is tied for greatest commandment. No where does it say to love your neighbor, unless they are gay, because then you should be a jerk. It just says to love one another. Is judging loving? Is kicking your kid out of the house for being gay loving? Isn't the opposition to gay marriage in direct defiance of love itself?

5. Jethro702

The thing with using Leviticus to condemn homosexuality is that Christians today are no longer under Old Testament law.

Whole article here: You Can

6. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

My father definitely thinks that, along with a bunch of other religious people I've met. How disgusting is it that I want a family and to be happy? Is that really worth death to him? The same man who is against abortion no matter what?
    It's one thing to say I shouldn't get married.... But to think my own father would rather me not exist than be gay is frightening. I hope I can change his mind.

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most do not want the LGBT community dead with the exception of the WBC crowd and some other fringe loons. My fellow Christians who are homophobes usually aren't around enough gay people to realize that they have no personal agenda when they get up. Some of them may be turned away from the gates as they used Christianity as a weapon against their fellow man instead of truly loving and having a relationship with God in my opinion.

As a group, we have the right to lobby for what we want as much as James Dobson does. The joke will be on them when we get to heaven and see those who have accepted Christ and are LGBT(many of whom have been in the closet their whole lives).

8. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I don't really like to read the old testament as much as the new, God in the old testament was very authoritative. But I suppose back then people still sacrificed humans and things like that, so I can see why God might bring about a flood or destroy cities. But later on in the new testament there is so much focus on God's mercy and love. I think that a lot of people who say they are in line with Christian thinking forget about how the Bible says God loves everyone. Also, if they view gay people as their enemy, aren't they supposed to love us? Matthew 5:43 says they should.

"but I say unto you, love your enemies, and pray for them that persecute you;"

---------- Post added 8th Jun 2014 at 11:27 PM ----------

Biguy, I know exactly what you mean. As you might have guessed, I'm Christian, so I find it very entertaining when I tell someone I'm gay and they suggest I go read the Bible and accept Jesus. It's inconceivable to them that a gay person could love God just as much as they do, and not view themselves as worse than them because of it.

9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Only some homophobes secretly want us to dead. The rest openly want us dead.

10. idkgrrrl

True that.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, all homophobes want us dead.

12. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing with the Old Testament was that the laws were in place to keep the lineage to Christ intact. There's a lot of research out there about different diseases that other people groups experienced that are no longer plaguing us today, hence the rules about intermarrying and so forth.

People also need to read the context of Sodom and Gomorrah. The people there wanted to gang rape an angel of the Lord. So yeah, God is against rape culture and wiped them out. :icon_bigg

13. idkgrrrl

Honestly, I like to keep homophobes outta my life. And if ANYONE tries to put me in any danger because of my sexuality, I promise I'm not going down without a fight. Hell no, no thank you.

14. Adventuretime

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    my step is a homophob and he want to kill gay people...he think there something wrong with them and they shouldn't exist
    so i do think homophobes want us dead.

15. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I laugh out loud every time I hear someone cite the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah as proof God hates gay people. It makes me wonder if they have ever read the Bible for themselves and interpreted it, or if they just listen to what people tell them. I ask them about the same thing you said, I say "the sin of sodom was wickedness of the people, and when God sent angels to Sodom to see if there was one person worth saving, the sodomites attempted to rape them. And you think the problem was that there where gay people there. There are gay people in every city, why do you think they haven't destroyed Chicago?"

16. Weekender

All I can do when people quote only the Old Testament is shake my head. There are very few Christians these days that legitimately follow the OT in any capacity besides to fuel their homophobic "holy righteousness". They pick and choose which passages they want to follow and ignore everything else that actually applies to them.

If they do want us dead, maybe they should take a little peek at Matthew 7:2-3 :
    "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

And Matthew 5:22 :
    "But I say, if you are even angry with someone, you are subject to judgment! If you call someone an idiot, you are in danger of being brought before the court. And if you curse someone, you are in danger of the fires of hell."

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Weekender, curious to know what translation that 2nd passage is from? I totally agree with you, but I don't remember Matthew 5:22 with that verbiage.

18. Weekender

I wholeheartedly agree, and I actually believe that the adversity of being LGBT has strengthened my resolve in my friendship with God.

19. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Old Testament is metal as fuck, have all these people that quote and cite bits and pieces abide by all the rules for a week and see if they explode

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Regarding the post thread, a lot of homophobes and biphobes secretly want you in the sack. Not all of them ... but enough of them to make a dent.