1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selectively Closeted

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by spockbach, Jun 9, 2014.

1. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Do you ever feel guilty over hiding your sexuality from particular individuals? I have to shield mine from those who would reject me because of it (usually babysitting clients who are super Christian), and consider that a logical decision. On the other hand, I would love to be out to them, because I've really nothing to feel ashamed of. How about you? Do you ever feel guilty about hiding from some people and being open with others? Are you ever afraid that those still in the dark will somehow find out? I worry about that: I could lose my job.

2. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not really closeting in my opinion, this is simply keeping your business your damn business. We wonder about this at work, but some of the butch girls are so obvious it takes all of a single glance to know. lol I on the other hand am always mistaken for straight, even by other gay women.

3. Anonymous

If they don't ask you directly, then why bother. You never asked them if they were straight

4. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Only from those who care about me and I know 100% don't care if it's a guy or girl I love. But other than that know since my sexuality is my own business.

#4 RedMage, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  5. katwat

My daughter is 13 and bisexual. We live in a uber-conservative, anti-lgbt area. We have 99% family members who are anti-lgbt. I do not feel guilty about not telling any of them about her sexuality because 1) it is none of their business, 2) I know for a fact how crappy their reactions would be, and 3) my mother and my husband still value some of the family members that would be told to go f themselves if they said the stupid crap about my kid that we all know that they would say. We are walking this narrow path between knowing they are idiots but avoiding the finality of cutting them out of our lives completely. I don't feel guilty FOR them.

I DO feel guilty that they world is so crap, the people we live near and are related to are so crap, that my daughter cannot freely be herself without fear of other people's stupidity and hateful words and deeds. I remind her every day that we love her and accept her for who she is. I also remind her every day that when the day come that it is important to her to tell the world who she is, how she feels and to openly love whoever she loves then we will stand with her no matter what. That no one on the planet means more to us than she does. That this current "hush-hush" situation is just us keeping the hateful b.s. out of our lives for a while. She knows it will likely come someday and who it will come from. She knows that any blame will be theirs and never hers.

Right now she is too young to date. Right now the all our potentially nasty family is far far away. Right now the holding pattern is somewhat okay even though it is annoying.

6. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I completely agree about keeping one's business to oneself. The only thing that stands out to me is that I know I would deny it if the question did arise.

---------- Post added 9th Jun 2014 at 09:40 PM ----------

You're right to love her for whoever she is inside! It must be hard knowing she could suffer because of that part of her.

7. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

same haha my work place is actually pretty diverse but i am unintentionally (?!) stealthy