1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does gay have anything to do with the "Survival Of The Fittest" theory?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gaynerd64, Jun 9, 2014.

1. gaynerd64

It simply makes sense to me. The human race has overpopulated the Earth and the increase of homosexuality is nature's way of stopping it. Obviously gays and lesbians can't reproduce naturally so an increase of homosexuality would decrease the population. Thoughts?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That makes no sense, because homosexuality always existed. We are just slowly getting out and showing ourselves, but being LGBT isn't a new thing.

Plus, nature isn't a concious thing. It doesn't plan things like "oh, the planet is overpopulated, so let see what i can do about it...". It is normal, but wrong, to look for reasons on nature's business.

3. Weekender

I feel like a more effectual way of nature decreasing the population would be to simply make more people born sterile. As it is, even if homosexuals can't traditionally reproduce with each other, we are still physically capable of reproduction.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There aren't nearly enough gay people to reduce our exponential population increase in a reasonable way. Besides, it's not like it worked, since we have in vitro fertilization hehe.

On my first point though, have you seen the line graph of world population?
    [​IMG]

Yeah. And I'm not just cherry picking because that one looks dramatic; lots of sources show a similar curve.

5. fortheloveoflez

"Obviously gays and lesbians can't reproduce naturally". They can't? Well, I don't think that's entirely accurate. People's organs can more or less "respond" the question is to what degree and whether they feel an actual attraction to the person they are with. Furthermore, people can still get pregnant even when there isn't any penis-vagina penetration. It's less likely, but really...all you need is sperm...and a non-sterile female bodied individual.

6. Colours

You're right in that it would make perfect sense. Except like said above, homosexuality kind of has always existed. I do however think that it might be more common now, even if we're just more open about it these days. I mean those two things would logically go hand in hand, right?

Whereas nature isn't a exactly a conscious thing, I do feel like it would make sense for nature to pull such a trick. The way nature always keeps a balance in things, causes me to believe that this might be true. Of course it is not the most effective way to limit the growth of population, but that's because we're smart enough to work a way around the way nature might have intended this to go. Not the first time that happens, mind you.

#6 Colours, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  7. theinvisiblekat

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Homosexuality exists in tons of different species though, many of which also have high populations and an even greater need to compete for resources

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, another note about the changes that naturally come about: If homosexuality is totally genetic and is a response to overpopulation, assuming gay people never reproduced, it would eventually die out. Natural selection leads to organisms that become the best at growing to the age of maturity and reproducing. If a particular genetic line doesn't reproduce, it may happen sooner or later, but eventually it's going bye-bye.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope, because Alexander the Great drank from the wine, and he could have impregnated anyone he wanted to, among others in history, politics, and the arts, including actor Marlon Brando. So I say no.

10. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Interesting idea. I have another thought on "Survival of the Fittest." Perhaps the "fittest" are the unintelligent, extensive bunch that seem to survive and multiply without even considering it. And here i'm not talking about the unfortunate, or poor, or undereducated, I'm talking about those who are selfish, bigoted, and greedy. Perhaps they're the fittest to inherited this dismal world they've created, and the way it seems to be proceeding, they're welcome to it.
    Oh-oh, perhaps my pessimism's showing.
    :icon_wink:lol:

11. Ridiculous

Homosexuality as population control doesn't make much sense evolutionarily.
    If it is introduced to stop people from breeding, then the individuals that have the non-breeding (i.e. homosexual) genes will not be breeding and therefore won't pass on those genes, meaning it would no longer be present after one generation. Obviously a rather pathetic attempt to control population growth.
    There are a few ways it could get around this but it becomes increasingly far-fetched to do so.

Here are three plausible reasons behind a genetic basis to homosexuality:

[youtube]MHDCAllQgS0[/youtube]

12. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, intelligence at least as we perceive it is a relatively new experiment in evolution from what we know. Who says it's a good quality for survival? Bacteria don't seem to have any demonstrable intelligence, yet they precede us as a species by 100s of millions of years and will probably outlast us by a similar margin. Just a thought...

Still, can't people carry recessive genes? Perhaps there are a significant population of people out there with recessive "gay genes" that get passed on and expressed in their offspring. Unless I'm wrong about that, in which case ignore it. But if that's correct I don't think we can dismiss the genetic argument so easily. Plus I heard genes can express themselves in different environments.

Anyway, Malthusianism, drug-resistant pandemics, climate change or natural demographic progression (global popn. growth has begun to show signs of slowing) are probably far more robust answers to overpopulation.

One more thing- with more green policies and technological advancement/sophisticated farming in 50 years we could increase the planet's capacity some way. We just don't know how effective out problem-solving will be, most people say 10 billion is the limit, but with those advancements it could be more. The capacity could be more anyway. And, as mentioned, our population might start stagnating and declining after reaching that level. Whether we have overpopulated at all isn't clear yet.

#12 sam the man, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  13. desiringshadows

That's a really good idea!! :icon_bigg

---------- Post added 9th Jun 2014 at 06:56 PM ----------

I doubt its survival of the fittest. :confused: Maybe its our genes/DNA to be gay. I personally think it would be wonderful if in the future they found a way to make everyone gay to stop overpopulation. :roflmao: It would be so terrific!

14. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This isn't true. I think some people have always been on the LGBT scale, the difference is that they can be open about it for the first time in eons.

15. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I think that if I tried to figure out why there are gay people, I would think that we're meant to take care of all the kid's straight people make and then abandon.

16. KrnlKrazy

KrnlKrazy Guest

No it does. Homosexuality is a percentage. That percent may not grow, but it could have more value. Aka going from 10 percent of 100 to a 1000 to 10000, they are different. Percent stays same but that percent is more. That 10 percent goes to 10 to 100 to 1000. Homosexuality might exist to maintain a certain level population. As population grows, the more homosexuality there is along with it. Thus helping control. It isn't perfect as multiple children per 2 people can change. But that's a variable.

17. jahow95

The two exact points i was going to make. It doesn't make a decision, it's all chance. That's what's so great about evolution theory.

18. awesomeness

There's no "increase of homosexuality". Homosexuality has ALWAYS been there. The only thing that has changed over time is the visibility of it.

It was very visible and accepted in ancient times. But with the spread of Christianity and Islam, people started hiding it in fear of persecution.

But now it's becoming more and more accepted, and therefore the visibility of it is increasing again, and more people are willing to admit their same sex attractions.

19. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I remember reading this from a Washington post article. It has sort of the opposite theory. It shows that the male loving genes in a gay family member actually increases the desire to reproduce in female family members.
    Here's the link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...uality-how-our-genes-make-us-gay-or-straight/