1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here from Finland? Suomessa?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edgy, Jun 10, 2014.

1. edgy

edgy Guest

just wondering, have you gone through the military conscription? Are you allowed to tell about the experience?

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, but I'm not forced to be conscripted. Once my citizenship goes through formally in a month or so, I'll be on the list for when I come of age. However, I can cite studying in a foreign country as a reason not to go; they're no longer very strict on it, and after your period's over, you're not obliged to make it up.

Several of my cousins are doing their service at the moment. It's not that interesting - being sent to a remote region of Finland to exercise, fire guns, and pretend the Russians are attacking doesn't strike me as the best way to spend 6 months. I'd rather the alternative civic duty in Helsinki.

3. Talk to Morphim about it!

4. edgy

edgy Guest

who's Morphim?

5. kem

kem

ME! Hi!

Yes, conscripts are allowed to talk about their military time — unfortunately, if I may add; most don't seem to want to shut up about it and it's awfully frustrating, to put it nicely. When the conscripts are not being deprived of sleep, they are trying to cope with the ridiculous camps while battling whatever infection or virus they might have caught from the other men. For some odd reason — I suspect indoctrination — most of my friends are having fun.
    I don't have much first-hand knowledge, because I refused to participate in any sort of military or civilian service on my first day of service. I almost had to spend the night, but fortunately a ride to the nearest train station was arranged. I'm currently waiting for my house arrest to begin, I'm actually having an appointment on Jun 12th about the monitoring system, my daily/weekly schedules etc. It's kind of cool, I'm going to get my personal surveillance patrol who follow me wherever I go, to make sure I am where I'm supposed to be. :grin:
    I am glad that I am incapable of stress and worry because for the most part I have had no idea of what is happening and when.

#5 kem, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014