1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I found this both funny and wierd.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jason29, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Jason29

So a bit of a back story first.

I am in the british military and i have been for 13 years last year i got promoted so i am now in a position to help and look after other servicemen and women when they get to my unit.

6 months ago a new guy was posted into our section he is very quiet and very shy being a young guy in the section cant be easy for him. So just thinking that was all I made sure he got settled in ok and that everyone looked after him. This has all be going well about a month ago someone made a joke that because he doesnt like to join in and he doesnt do the usual footbal and drinking he must be gay. I saw the look on this guys face it was like someone had kicked him, So after seeing the effect this was having on him I went a little bit mad i put all the ones that thought this was funny on parade.

Today he came and saw me and asked if he could speak to me privately I closed the door and he told me that in fact he was gay but he doesnt want all the other guys to find out.
    He thinks that they wouldnt understand and the jibes would continue or get worse. I assured him this wouldnt be the case and i wouldnt allow it. Afterwards he left alot happier and i said he could speak to me anytime and that i dont hold any kind of prejudice against people for thier sexuality.

You have probably read this and said to yourself this is neither funny or wierd heres why i thought it was.

I am in the very same position he is in I am only just coming to terms with my own sexuality and the fact that he chose me to tell and that he felt safe enough to do so makes me feel really good. Hopefully when i decide to tell people I will have someone that will be understanding and they will listen.

Is there any way this could have been handled differently I dont think there was.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why would you want to handle that differently, what you did was amazing!

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Think you handled it great from start to finish. I think there are a lot of gay guys who would like to join up, but are put off for fear of not fitting in or being ostracised by the others. All credit to you.

4. jahow95

Nice one mate. Sounds like you handled it pretty well, I'm happy to hear you don't see the army as being genuinely homophobic - other than the obvious banter that's gonna go on. Ultimate respect to you for serving in our forces, I hope to in a few years. Are you an officer?

5. Jason29

No im not an officer im a Corpral in the Royal Air Force thankyou all for being supportive.

6. twosoups

I'm a service member in the us military, and I'm sure the culture of our militaries are different to some degree at least. I would certainly say it has a hostile atmosphere for anyone who isn't straight. In fact I may not reenlist because of it.