1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever been written off?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Radioactive Bi, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you ever been written off by someone? Did they write you of as a failure or give up on you because they thought they could change you only to find they couldn't.

If so, what was it about. Also, did you prove them wrong in the end?

When I was younger I struggled to concentrate and all my teachers and family thought I was quite dumb and wrote me off as a non achiever. I've now just passed my second degree having one in physics and one in radiography as well as being a single parent. In your face teachers....

What are your experiences.....

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My pre-school teacher said I would never graduate from high school. I graduated as salutatorian in high school and got my BBA in college. So, who's the dummy now?

3. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents were told by my 8th grade Algebra teacher that I'd never be great at math. Fortunately, they kept that to themselves until much later.

I did not invite her to my graduation when I got my Ph.D., but I've always kind of regretted it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I've had a therapist tell me, my depression would cripple and destroy me, if I didn't let him help. The problem was, he just couldn't grasp what I was saying, and would always try and bring the solution back to something simplistic. For example, he told me I was depressed due to school and home. Well, okay, maybe. But he totally ignored everything else I would say, acting as if I had no idea how I worked. Eventually, he told me that he couldn't work with me, and that he wouldn't be surprised if I wound up dead. He said this out of frustration, but it is still a profound remark. Needless to say, I haven't gone back to therapy since.

Fast forward a few years, and I'm happier (we all have days we slip a little) and feel better. And I did this without his counseling. I suppose the fact he kept telling me I was powerless and useless without his help, pushed me. So, maybe he did succeed. I've had to learn to tackle my own demons and problems, and I still do.

Several teachers believed I was a troublemaker, a slacker, and had no ambition. They were right, to a degree. While I was an undeniable troublemaker, I only slacked in things I didn't see as fun or useful, and I had ambition -- just not your run of the mill variety. I can recall one teacher in particular, we'll call her Mrs. Shouts. Mrs. Shouts disliked me because I used to make her living pretty difficult. But the time she absolutely flipped out is when I tossed her desk chair through the window, completely shattering the window, and told me that " ...people like you only exist because Satan hasn't been permanently banished! ". Mrs. Shouts also called in my mother and stepfather and, shockingly, told them the same thing. She even told them, even if I didn't do anything again from this point on, she would make sure I failed or was expelled. She didn't want anything to do with me, because she thought I'd grow up and be a waste. My mother and stepfather didn't punish me (which surprised the hell out of me; my stepfather, whew, was something else...), but they did allow me to move in with my grandparents, which allowed me to go to a different school.

Fast forward several years, and I'm actually a very understanding and even loving individual. While I still have momentary lapses of past behavior, I can almost always contain it and remain sensible. I've made it kind of a life mission to help people, and to come to allow them to understand, we all have setbacks and problems, but many of them can be dealt with and overcome. I believe I have come quite a ways from how I used to be, in many regards.

It pretty much boils down to this. If you made mistakes, you learn from them and do the best you can. You may or may not make amends with those you wronged, but you rest easy knowing, hey, they probably wouldn't recognize you now anyway. Or, you prove these people wrong, and show them how strong you really are.

5. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A teacher in my primary school said I would never thrive in a grammar school environment. My parents defied her and put me in one anyway, and about 7 years later I have thrived as one of the top academic achievers there, and fitted in ok by my standards. It wasn't exactly a write-off (she wanted to act in my interests), more of a way-off-the-mark misunderstanding of my temperament and learning ability. Either way, I've proven her very wrong :slight_smile:

6. RocketMoose27

I've been written off plenty of times! They're not that bad though, excluding the teacher one which was pretty serious at the time.

I'll list two:
    -I've been called "special" in first grade by my teacher. Yup, almost placed into special-ed because I couldn't write for SHEET!
    I played final fantasy 7 in the midst of my child-depression and the effect was my sudden increase in spelling/grammar! This put me at the top of the elementary honor roll for a while, up until 8th grade, that's when my marks began to become "average"... I SHALL IMPROVE! >:O

-I was written off by the "cool kids" when I was in 3rd grade.
    They tried to teach me how to be "cool" because I wore overalls and plaid shirts, but every time I did come to school in my "formal" clothes they still said it looked lame... !
    Fast forward to now: I can't really say that I proved them wrong, but my sense of fashion really changed since I just wear plain jeans and t-shirts now, so that's a win for me!
    (besides, I didn't want to walk around looking like Steve Urkel my whole life anyways :dry: )