1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Randy, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In the past: People have just been satisfied with getting a bachelor's as it seems like the most logical "step" after graduation. As one goes through University, it seems that everyone wants to strive for a Masters now (or at least in my area.) This is probably due to some jobs that require a Masters. But there are some people (again from my perspective) that see a Masters as how people in the past have seen a bachelor's degree. So now it seems that getting a Masters is seen as no big deal to some people and thus the Masters loses the "respect" that the degree has. If this trend continues, do you see a possibility of people acquiring at least one Ph.D is gonna be seen as the norm?

2. AlamoCity

Well, for teachers, I think the trend is to get a master's degree in something that is related more towards pedagogical theory while their bachelor's is in the area of teaching. Many districts will subsidize a teacher's continuing education or at least increase their pay enough to make it significantly worth the time and effort.

For other professions, I suppose it depends. There are some areas where there is academic credentialism in that one requires higher levels of formal education just to do a previous job that only required a high school diploma. There are less apprenticeships than before and employers are relying more on formal credentials than other forms of prerequisite screening. There is the belief that a college-educated person is more worthy than someone who is not and because more people are graduating with bachelor's degrees, employers have their choosing of talent and, when you can get a college grad for the same wage as a HS graduate, for them it's a no-brainer. Credentialism can lead to inflation and many jobs now require a masters degree (when a bachelor's with experience previously sufficed).

That said, I don't foresee a future where the doctoral-level degree is sought by everyone because it does require a significant level of commitment and the cost-benefit analysis is not there for everyone. Plus, I think that the future will stem away from formal higher education and more towards on-the-job training, certificate-level courses, and other training programs that teach specific skills rather than the liberal arts education.

We don't need a society where half the people get a bachelor's degree. We need a well-educated workforce that has varying levels of skills in various trades and occupations; we have been force-fed the ideal that college is the panacea for everything.