1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I stopped Smoking. That's why I'm here!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by doinitagain, Jun 11, 2014.

1. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds a bit odd, I know, but it’s true!
    I stopped smoking about 9 months ago and my sex drive went through the roof. My partner is (more than) happy with this! Once I’d stopped smoking I then decided to cut down on the drinking. This meant that I was up quite late and started watching a few YouTube videos, one of which was ‘coming out letter for Mom’ by IWantAcceptance’. This led to a whole other chain of events which I have mentioned in other posts! I won’t dwell on that now.
    Anyway, I’ve been smoking for years and tried all sorts of ways to stop. Will power, nicotine patches, gum, sprays, those tampon sucky things. None worked. I went to see the doctor and I was referred to the smoking cessation clinic. I was prescribed Zyban. My partner had been prescribed Zyban about 10 years before and I remembered how bad he was on them. I decided not to tell him I was taking them as I didn’t believe that I would get similar side effects. How wrong I was! First symptom after a few days was ‘erectile dysfunction’. After trying to get me hard for ages, I had to fess up and tell him I was taking Zyban. He was fine with me but not happy as he had been through it.
    What awful stuff. I stopped smoking after 10 days (you don’t want to smoke after 10 days). The side effects were horrendous. I felt depressed to the point of suicidal and came off them after about 20 days. I was then off work for about 2 months then started to just work mornings for the next month.
    Needless to say I started smoking again.
    Then a friend recommended Alan Carr’s Easy Way to Stop Smoking. I read the reviews on Amazon and although I was a bit sceptical bought two copies. One for me and one for my partner. The books arrived on a Saturday morning. I started reading. Other half asked me what I was reading. I showed him and gave him the other copy. We both sat there and read the book for the next six hours until we had finished it. We then had out last cigarette and we both knew that we would never smoke again. The book is not patronising. It tells you why you started smoking, why you continued to smoke and why you think you can’t stop. It doesn’t dwell on health or money issues, (you know that part already!). It just gives you the facts and the knowledge to stop the addiction.
    The book says that it takes two to three weeks to break the addiction. It took me a bit longer but I got there, and no will power was required! (!)
    I was on 40 a day. You MUST continue to smoke while you read the book. Why couldn’t I have been prescribed this book before! If you smoke and want to stop, read the reviews and buy the book. It costs less than a packet of cigarettes.
    I haven’t totally stopped drinking, but I have used some of the same methods to reduce my intake. I now only drink wine with food. I’ve cut out the hard stuff!!
    Next project is to get a bit fitter!

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done! Must have been hard work!

3. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :slight_smile: :icon_bigg good for you dude, i might show the book to my dad

4. Ravi-VIXX777

Wow congratulations!!! I'm so happy you are living a more happy and healthier life! Best of luck to you and your partner! Cheers!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

5. Colours

Well done, good for you. :slight_smile: I have to say that I've read the book as well but I started smoking again very soon. Might read it again, but I'm not really convinced anymore. Glad it worked out for you though.