1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my theory

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by poetofdarkness, Jun 11, 2014.

1. poetofdarkness

if disney released a couple of children's movies with openly gay/lesbian characters, the next generation of adults would be WAY less homophobic and WAY more excepting of LGBT people

2. Nikky DoUrden

I approve this theory, I was very influenced by the shows ive seen as a kid!

3. poetofdarkness

i remember when i was little watching all the straight couples in the shows i watched and thinking, “why not have 2 guys or 2 girls in love, instead of a guy and a girl”

4. Jason29

I dont think it should be just disney every cartoon network.

5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely. And if Disney doesn't do this, the next generation of adults will be way less homophobic and way more accepting of LGBT people too.

6. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Maybe in the next peanuts movie to come out, they will finally confirm the rumor that peppermint patty is gay.

7. Zelos

I think people's minds are changing anyways, whether Disney releases a movie with gay characters or not. Look at LGBT History on a large scale, conditions for LGBT people haven't stopped increasing. There's still a lot to do, and our fight is not over, but it's getting better! So one day, I'm ready to bet there will be a Disney movie with gay characters :slight_smile: I hopeI'll be alive to see it!

8. Hexagon

The next generation is going to be way less homophobic anyway.

9. Perseus

Frozen has already made some progress by not putting a happy heterosexual couple at the end. However, I doubt that Disney would release such a film within this decade as all the homophobes are still in charge of our world, too many complaints from parents. I do hope that it happens within the approachable future and I will get to live the day to see such a film released.

10. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Technically, that would be a hypothesis, not a theory :slight_smile:

Although there is the posibility that would be true, there would also be equal possibility that many parents would refuse yo let their children see it because of their own prejudices and thus it would have little effect.

Happy days :slight_smile:

11. black-cat

I agree completely. (!)

Also, I gotta say, where are all the interracial relationships? Both kids shows/movies and adults.

12. chi29

Maybe there could be a gay couple in the side of the movie and not make it the main point of the movie, just not to make it feel like its the main point bit to give a general idea about the issue. But idk kids can be very crazy critics.

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

Just raising that particular shitstorm (and that's exactly what it will be if it happens) would be beneficial to us IMO. Lots of people would argue that the relationships shown are truly wholesome, and others would still say it's wrong, but they would be looked at with a very critical eye.

14. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I looked at some kids the other day skateboarding and carefree(one with a big rainbow wristband), thinking almost jealously how much easier it must be to have same sex attraction then when I was their age.

15. Silver Sparrow

I agree that it would be awesome if Disney released movies with gay or lesbian or other queer characters. However, I don't feel like it will happen very soon. Society is indeed progressing, even without Disney.

16. dizzyCalysto

Out Status:
    All but family
    I approve this theory :slight_smile: . Might be a while before they do anything like that. There was a lot of commotion when they had a same sex married couple on Good Luck Charlie.

17. I too have a hypothesis, that there is a gay aesthetic that runs through some works. Listen to the music of Tchaikovsky (or Poulenc foe that matter), look at the Dr Who stories written by Russell T Davies or Mark Gatiss. Even where there's nothing explicitly gay I can see a gay substrate and that's not because I see it everywhere.

Disney has the same thing going in my view, even when it conflicts with the surface plotline. Whether kids would pick this up is hard to know. It's hard to know, too, how children might react to explicitly gay characters and depends very much on how they're depicted.

I grew up with a few explicitly gay characters in film and television, they were the ones who led sad, lonely lives, were murdered or committed suicide. I may not be the best judge but It hasn't been too harmful.

Anyway my thesis is that Disney has always done this in a subtle way and that even if they advanced to actual gay characters the results would be mixed and unpredictable.

To chime in with those who made the theory/hypothesis distinction; more research needed.