1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever avoid something because of its subcultural connotations?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jun 12, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

Maybe you don't wear something because it is labeled as "punk-y" or listen to hip-hop (publicly) because of the subculture association.

--------------------------------------

I refuse to wear flat-billed baseball caps for both the fact that they look ridiculous and the fact that they are prominent in the hip-hop community.Now, mind you, I do wear baseball caps, but I wear the "normal" ones with the curved bill. If you don't know what a flat-billed baseball cap looks like, the picture of one is below.

[​IMG]

2. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I keep my hair as a relatively conservative but still lesbian cut because I don't want to be seen as a deviant. I don't wear clothes as loose as I'd like because then I'd be a slob. Same as above with the caps, I only wear snap backs (plain blue or John Deere) because flat bills are associated with gangs where I live, depending on the position on the head. I don't eat unhealthy food in public because people think of me as reckless with my health.... Then. Pig out when I get home. >.<

But mostly, the things I avoid are for my own safety. Like I won't flirt with a girl if anyone else is around after that couple got killed in march. Or I won't wear any rainbow jewelry if I am not in a place with a lot of open-minded people.

3. AlamoCity

^^ I completely forgot of LGBT-related items. At the moment, I have no plans on wearing anything rainbow related.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh--I'd never really thought about this. I don't think I do. I guess the only group I really wouldn't want to be associated with is conservatism--and I chose a career in private banking, so people often tend to assume that any way.:lol:

5. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

My whole life I've listened to music nobody else likes, worn funny clothing, and liked unpopular things. And then someone must have met me, stole my life and turned it in to the hipster subculture. I hate it when people call me a hipster, I've been a hipster since before it was cool. I'm like some sort of metahipster. Also I had been wearing medical clogs for 2 years before everyone started wearing plastic shoes.

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do the opposite. I tend to avoid things that have a mainstream connotation: Most 'pop' music, Wal-Mart, chain stores in general, looking too clean-cut...you could say I live in my own little world, in many ways, and am often unaware of current TV shows, celebrities and such. So I'm more or less unaware of what people might think of me, or else, unconcerned.

7. Weekender

I don't think I've ever purposefully avoided doing or wearing a certain thing just because of association. If I don't do something it's because I don't want to do it, and vice versa. I don't usually listen to rap music -- not because I don't want folks to think I'm a delinquent, but because I genuinely don't want to listen to it. I wear my hair long not because I'm scared of being associated with lesbian stereotypes, but because I just really like having long hair.

I never do something just because I want to be associated with that subculture, and I never avoid doing something simply because I don't want to be associated with its attached subculture.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

A combination of HuskyPup and Weekender, for me. Between the two of them, they summed up my answer.

9. AAASAS

I don't avoid, but I am shy about letting people know what type of music I really enjoy because humans have the strange idea that certain skin colours make your ears process sound differently.

I am basically in love with hip-hop, hip-hop instrumentals, trip-hop, and reggae. Nothing I listen to is inflammatory towards other people, and nothing I listen to states it's not for me.

But I still would feel weird about listening to my music publically, because I am expected to like rock music; something invented by african americans, and country; another thing that has many african influences.

But Hip-Hop, something that samples a lot of classical music; made by Europeans, is too afro-centric for me because of the drums. Even though the countries my blood are from, have similar drum lines to hip-hop.

But ya.

That's about it.

I avoid letting people know I like McDonalds, because every self-righteous asshole likes to tell me how disgusting it is. Sorry, I'm not tasting it. I don't agree with their business structure, but I agree with their prices and speed.

10. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I have a rainbow bracelet I am trying to get myself to wear more but I just end up pulling jacket sleeves over it nervously, god bless

and I agree with the man who commented about McDonalds above me, like I get burned out on it quick but I just really want fast food sometimes. Like yeah I got a craving for some mechanically separated and blended chicken and paper parts, I understand if you don't like it cos I mean, you know, but if you start preachin you better get that high horse outta your ass.

11. IsThisAName

I guess I avoid wearing beanies unless I have my hair down. I love beanies but I don't like wearing them with my hair up/looking shorter because I feel it looks more masculine and might look more lesbian-like, I suppose. I also really like flat-billed hats but I'm a bit shy about wearing them because I don't wanna look gay in those either. :roflmao:

Also, just a side-note since no one else so far seems to like rap/hip hop: I love it so much. Just had to show some love :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I have no quarrel with rap/hip-hop. It's actually about half of my playlist. I just tend to avoid the likes of Drake, Nicki Minaj, and Lil' Wayne; pretty much, all of Young Money. I'll stick to Tupac Shakur, Notorious B.I.G., Bone Thugs 'N Harmony, and Del Tha Funkee Homosapien.

The one thing I don't tend to like from the culture is, the sagging. My pants may hang a little loose, because I don't want them crushing my legs, but I'll be damned if all my underwear is going to show!

:lol:

13. mangotree

Wearable Technology (e.g. Galaxy Gear watch).
    At the moment, for some reason, anyone who I see wearing one - in my eyes - looks like a bit of a tool.

Koi Fish arm sleeve tattoo.
    I like the way they look, but they're gosh darn common.

14. Yeah, though it's not exactly a subculture I'm trying to avoid. I purposefully make sure that I defy gender/sexuality expectations a little bit every day. The queerer I look, the fewer cat calls/rude comments/inappropriately close-sitting on the bus guys I have to deal with...

15. Not really. Hip hop and summer are pretty much my style. The clothes I wear make me look like an athlete during the summer since I wear mainly t-shirts/tanks and basketball shorts, or like a city kid because I wear skinny jeans, snaps, and urban attire.

#15 anthonythegamer, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2014
  16. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If people are willing to pay me money in exchange for work I will cut my hair and trim my beard. (though if those are not requirements for them, I will happily leave it).

Other than that, social conventions or the opinions of other people have absolutely no (at least conscious) effect on how I present myself.

17. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i do but i hide it because i dont want anyone to think i'm being a try-hard white girl, i know that sounds stupid lmao

18. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here.

19. tulipinacup

I don't know why Filipinos who live in the U.S. (especially the ones who live in California) like wearing this kind of hat and tend to proclaim themselves as "gangsters"

I don't have problem listening to Hip-Hop, I think music is universal and though most of which the lyrics aren't "relatable" with my life, you empathise with it.

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My thing lies more with socioeconomic and class lines. I love to dress down (not really down, but in jeans, a t-shirt, and flip flops) and see how people who would probably never talk to you if in downtown attire will in fact talk to you. I get a kick out of that and, no, I'm not trying to manipulate anyone. Dressing like that is as comfortable as it gets.