1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else have their entire life mapped out from a young age?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wuggums47, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I have my life mapped out perfectly. I'm going to graduate high school, get accepted in to medical school, go to school for about 12 years, and I will support myself through college with a part time job, after college I open my own psychiatry practice, then get married to someone shortly after. I will donate about 1/4 of my salary or more to charity every year, and save up to buy my own modest house with room for an art studio. We will have kids probably adopted wether my partner is male or female. If we only have one child, it will be a daughter, and her name will be Keira. I will keep working until I'm 60, and then I will retire to focus on my art. I'll work my way up and get more recognized, and be in an art show before I die. I will die before my partner. My organs will be donated and save 8 lives, the maximum probable number. I will have a kickass funeral with a disco ball, and nobody will be crying.

Somewhere a long the road I'll probably become supreme ruler of earth (fingers crossed), but I'm not sure when. I know that this plan might not work out perfectly, but I see no reason why it can't work out. So does anyone else have a life plan? Has anyone here been around long enough to see how close you came to your life plan?

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I have goals, yes. Ambitions, of course. But I've learned, you can make the finest plan, with all the possible loopholes covered, all avenues addressed, and it still fail. Why? Because life has a funny way of conjuring up something else, or your interests or desires change just enough, that your previous plan needs to be readjusted. There is also the fact, no matter how good you are, you are bound to, especially if you are making a mark on the world, encounter somebody who is better than you. An upstart will always attract the established, I say.

Years ago, I would have told you, I too desired to rule the planet. But after maturing and learning, life doesn't bow down to you, just because you want it to do so, I had to accept that something more fulfilling was acceptable. I've come to cherish my independence and openness, as well as my desire to aid and encourage others. I want to leave behind a legacy of kindness and strength by example, as opposed to enforcing it with the militaries and policing of the world.

Has my life came out the exact way I wanted? No. But I'm still alive, fairly healthy, and remotely intelligent. I'd say, I'm still doing fine. I can still think, feel, and move, and can do so to trek ahead. In a way, I sort of welcome adversity, because it allows me to not only gain experience, but to build confidence, and to prove if I am indeed capable of backing up what I say, with doing something. Arrogance is a deadly beast, and it can set you up for failure, if you don't deal with it. Humbling experiences and situations can do a world of wonder; as well as teach you, how to be genuine and appreciative.

All that said, I have only three things that I intend to do, and would be devastated if none of them were achieved. One, I want to get into the criminal justice field, because I believe this is where I can be of most use, and aid many. Two, I want to find a significant partner, because, honestly, it would be nice to have support with affection. It isn't easy being a one-man army, and I could use help with all these chips and cracks in this armor. Three, I want to make at least one meaningful impact on this planet, be it inspiring someone to shake off their doubts and achieve greatness, or setting an example to others that you have one life, thus one shot to grab for the stars; and them do it. One of the saddest things is, wasted potential wallowing as opposed to growing, and the waster not knowing how much they could offer.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah and it never went the way I planned .
    At age 18 I wanted to move out of my parents house
    and wanted to have money saved up to do so I was not allowed to work at age 16
    I wanted to leave college in my early 20's college was too expensive so that's out of the window .:dry:

4. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

I know more or less what degree I'd like to do but from then on I don't know and to be honest I'd hate to know what's going to happen to me in the future as it'll take all the fun out of it.

The journey is always more fun than the objective of the journey in my opinion.

5. I used to have a life plan like this---and by no means am I saying that it's bad to have plans or that your life won't go exactly the way you think, obviously I don't know, but you asked about our plans so here's what happened.

I was going to stay with my first love, finish college at a prestigious private university (that I was accepted to and did attend for a while), move to California while he started trying to get into producing movies. I would continue school and eventually get a job as a clinical psychologist. Some time after that, we would have a beautiful wedding and have a family and I would work less to take care of them american dream for straight people yadda yadda yadda, you know the drill.

And that was my plan.

Instead, I got into said prestigious university but got really sick in my second year and performed less than spectacularly academically. The university "tried" to accommodate me but eventually just gave me the boot because it was clear I was not able to perform to their standards. I broke up with longtime boyfriend because we weren't actually all that good together. And, little did I realize, I'm not too much into dudes anyway... I came out of my deep dark closet, got my health right, started up school again at a local two-year college, met my current partner and fell absolutely head over heels in love--all in my hometown, which I hate :slight_smile:
    I changed my major a couple times, transferred schools again, and settled on philosophy which is the passion and drive of my life and now I am in school planning on teaching philosophy one day.

I have nothing of what I thought I wanted for myself and it is far past the time when I assumed I could reasonably have achieved those things.

But what I got and have done since my dreams fell apart is a beautiful collection of life stuff that I could never have even asked for. I didn't know that all this is what I needed. I regret nothing and I am ashamed of nothing, even though my life has taken a number of unexpected and complicated turns. All of them have led me to where I am. Which I like, so now I'm just going with the flow, making goals and seeing them through one or two at a time and celebrating that success.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I plan to go to a 2 year degree and have a part time job and I'm already fully covered for college so I'll be fine with that but I think I'll waiter or bar tend during that time and I wanna move to Portland Oregon in a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment I hope I fond my husband by the time I'm at least 30

7. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

Of course I've planned my whole life out but things change. Nothing can really be set in stone.

8. AlamoCity

I used to, but there are too many factors I can't control so it was best for me not to dwell too much on a rigid "map."

9. Alfhild

i reallly really wish im gonna be a junior and i have no clue what i wanna do :frowning2:

10. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that it's super encouraged in my school and in the US in general to have everything planned out before you even enter high school... but I haven't done much of any planning. I have a lot of interests, and can't decide which ones I want to pursue.

If I do have a rough plan of anything though, it'd probably be this: Graduate high school and get accepted into a big university. Major in something about creative writing, and then minor in either music or drama. After that, maybe try and get a career involving story-boarding for movies, or maybe even create video games (personally I would love to see my novels as indie video games). At some point along the way, I hope to get married to a long time partner. Then once everything's financially secure, we can adopt a kid or maybe even have one or two. I don't really have names or anything planned out, just because I don't have a dream kid. Whomever they grow up to be will be a dream for me.

And after that I have absolutely nothing planned. I hope I can still participate in theater during this time, but who knows.

11. Hexagon

Yes, I planned it all out at eight. Of course, it isn't the same now. :slight_smile:

There are a few constants. Wanted to be a boy, and wanted to be a writer. Well, I am a man, and I do write. Beyond that, I'm less sure now with what I want to do with my life than I was. I'm going to study philosophy at university. Don't know what I'll do after, though. I have vague plans about revolutions and world saving. Nothing concrete.

12. Higs

I've planned my life, studies, what I wanted to do and where I wanted to end up and it ALL went wrong. Now I got no idea what I'll be doing next month.

13. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

No, and it's extremely odd (but admirable!) that other people can even possibly do so.

I do however like the disco ball funeral and will plan for it, thank you.

14. Illus1

hmm.. It's good to plan, hey I knew what I wanted to study years ago and went for it. I also had such plans, do this, go here, do that graduate then, get this job, then move on to that degree blah blah. I was Mr. Perfecto Perfecto, It's a term I had coined for myself I used to be so focused on getting everything right, making every deans list & I even got my name in the paper. But, well I just realized along the way that I felt more and more tired and frustrated. I was doing it all not really for me, more for the appreciation & praise. So then I had to see what was for me and I was thrown quite a few curve balls in my personal/family life, so some things just had to rest on the back burner for a while, I still wanted to be #1 in every thing but I had to let that go, it was too tiring.

Long story short, make plans, clear ones & then make contingency plans. Also plan your near future precise, but your 'far' future should be more goal oriented and a little vaguely planned.(small steps gets you the big prize)

15. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I don't even know what I'm doing tomorrow.

16. Weekender

I'm starting college and I still have very little clue as to what I actually want to do with the rest of my life. I'm not the kind of person that really makes plans. I estimate what will make me happy and I work from there. Up until about two years ago, I honestly wanted to pilot fighter jets. Now I'm doing a Pre-Law track with a double-major in Criminal Justice and Psychology. And even now I have doubts about pursuing Psych.

Up until two or three months ago, I thought I would be attending a tiny private college in Florida. Now I'm attending one of the largest public universities in my state. Before that, I figured I would be going to university in Washington D.C.

I have little faith in plans. We can plan all we want, but the universe will always have something else in store. The universe is going to do what it will, whether or not it coincides with our plans.

So my life plan is to put 110% effort into everything I do, and see where the universe takes me.

17. thelamekidd

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have my entire life planned out. I'll be in high school soon, and I want to continue playing with the band. When I graduate, I want to go to college and get my masters degree. I want to major in Creative Writing and minor in Women's Studies. IF I AM LUCKY, I want to publish a book. If that doesn't work out, I want to become a teacher. Hopefully, I'll keep playing my saxophone by then. Then, I plan on settling down with a beautiful woman and adopting two kids, a boy and a girl. The boy will be named Nathaniel and the girl with be named Violet. Retire and when I end up passing away, I want to leave this world better than I way I discovered it.

My plans in life could eventually change or not work out, but it's good to have ambitions :slight_smile:

18. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a legendary story of the commander of a small platoon that got lost in some mountain range somewhere. After a while he realized he had a map, so he took it out, showed it to his men and they followed the right path out toward the plains.

Turns out, however, that the map was for a totally different mountain range...

It helps to have a plan, if for no other reason that it serves to focus the mind, but I prefer goallessness as an article of my faith. Because that's the way life works, it's much better to be open to the possibilities of chance encounters, whether with people or ideas...Look at the biographies of famous or successful people...not one of them had a plan that stuck.

19. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Not in the slightest. Other people have tried to plan it for me, but I just go with what comes my way. It makes life so much easier. I do what makes me happy, and that is not always a predictable thing. Tomorrow, I might want vanilla ice cream instead of banana. ^.^

20. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now before when I was younger I would tell everyone that I was going to live off of my best friends income, now I'm just along for the ride