1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it me or are a lot of people scared to identify as bisexual because of stigma ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, Jun 12, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Now I agree you can identify as you want and whatever but has anyone noticed that a lot of people who are bisexual are scared to identify as bisexual because the stigma and discrimination bisexuals face ?

I remember in the old days when bisexuality was seen as cool everyone and their mama was identifying as bisexual even sometimes when they weren't now it's like the word bisexual has become a swear word that people are scared to use and if you tell someone their bi while guessing their orientation when they asked for your opinion you get the "HOw dear you call me Bi " :eek:
    Anyone notice this or is it just me ?:confused:
    I personally think we need a bi community or something where everyone should be taught about bisexuals and we can help fix bi issues .
    I think the lgbt community as a whole need to fix this and it's very rare to meet a proud bisexual woman or bisexual man .

#1 stocking, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  2. alex3191

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Re: Is it me or are a lot of people scared to identify as bisexual because of stigma

I agree there is a stigma and its why very few people know i also like women. If im asked i will say I'm straight because i know alot of people think bi equals unfaithful, slut, can't make up your mind, wants to sleep with more than one person at a time ect...... I don't want to be associated with any of those things because they are not true of me. Some people just can't get their head around the fact that all it means is that i can fall for someone regardless of weather they are male or female, they also have a hard time understanding that im 100% faithful to whoever im dating and that if im dating a woman its doesn't mean i want to go be with a man and if im dating a man it doesn't mean i want to go be with a woman. Its really annoying having to explain this to everyone i have told so far. The only ones who know im bi are a few family members and whoever i date.

3. Cass

Re: Is it me or are a lot of people scared to identify as bisexual because of stigma

I notice. Trust me, i notice. I am bisexual, i cant say I'm "proud" or necessarily "Ashamed" but i have noticed on the rare occasion i cme out to someone they give me a tough time about it, from both the LGBT side and the Straight side

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2014 at 02:53 PM ----------

^ this

4. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

I do think it's a stigma because people think bisexuals are greedy and etc. Personally I think people should be more accepting of the whole community it's self.

5. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

This is how I feel too, although for me I've had a more negative reaction from the LGBT side in person than on here.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

What you listed is how I see bisexuality you can love anyone regardless of the sex they are

7. Nikky DoUrden

I think I heard that once or twice but in context of a joke, I dont think anyone especially in the LGBT community think that bi people are "greedy" ? if there are ppl who think that I think they r just jealous :dry:

8. Cass

ive never heard greedy, but i have been assumed to be "slutty and unfaithful" as well as had girls say theyd never date me because i also like men

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

I heard a few say this

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2014 at 12:23 PM ----------

I 've heard some say this and by some I mean a lot

10. Nikky DoUrden

It doesn't make sense lol ... I guess they ARE jealous ?
    Just ignore them I guess, if thats their point of view then u don't wanna date them anyway! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

I think jealousy has a lot to do with it but it's not always the case.

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

People think bi means slut, unfaithful, greedy, secretly straight (if female)/gay (if male) and will always leave you for a man. Which is BS.

There are some straight girls that pretend to be bi, that actually do follow these stereotypes, which is unfortunate.

13. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I avoid the word like the plague. It grates against the ears, opens you up to all kinds of asinine assumptions "Oh, I went through a bisexual phase when I was young too / Oh I see, so your a slut, wanna have a threesome / That doesn't exist and your on a pitstop on the way to gay town". Not to mention it implies that there are only two genders that I could be attracted too, like there aren't any others out there.

14. DangerAlex

I wasn't and am not worried about a stigma. I like what I like. If there's some sort of negative connotation, that's not really my fault. Just trying to pick the most accurate label. And I hate labels, so society is lucky I'm even willing to "classify" myself so narrowly.

15. Foxface

it's simple really...confusing but simple

bi/pan...we get the good fortune (sarcasm) to get discriminated from outside AND inside

IT amazes me really and sorry for my tirade

So the outside world sees LGBT as ugly and offensive

Then we seek friends inside the LGBT and get told we are fakers, or greedy and selfish, or just "on the way to gay."

yeah I am not starting the discrimination Olympics but it sucks

16. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Heh, try being trans and bi/pan.

The reason why both gay and straight shun bisexuals is because they are either "not straight" or "not gay enough" or "wishy washy".

I suppose that same dynamic exists between cis trans and genderqueer...

17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

I think it's because bisexuality threatens people in a couple of ways. First, it upsets the nice balance we have between gay and straight, since most people can "understanding" attraction to one gender, and we pretty much throw that all flying out the door. We're seen as harder to understand and categorize, almost devious, since others are always wondering what we're thinking.

Then, you have the idea that liking guys makes a person 'feminine' and liking women makes a person 'masculine', but with bisexuals? Where do they fit in the hierarchy? It's so much easier to portray bisexual women as really straight, and only together to please straight male fantasies, and likewise, it's far less problematic to think of bisexual men as closet gays, since it takes the threat of coming too close to home for straight men, yet again. You other them, and suddenly, they're a part of that deranged, diseased minority.

18. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yeah, I avoid the term too... Usually I come out by saying "I don't mind gender" or something like tht... but people have labelled me as bi and they sy it in a bad way, believe me.
    Like "you like her? beware, dude, don't mess with her, she's BISEXUAL". lol

19. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people

Actually I think is the opposite: gay people are afraid to come out as gay so they lie saying they're bisexual because it's more tolerated

20. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Huh, have you been living under rocks? Calling yourself bisexual is absolutely not "more tolerated" by mainstream society. At least when a guy comes out as gay, people generally believe him, there are a wide variety of support networks available to him, and it's easier to find role models and a community to call home.

Bisexual? You get comments like the one you just typed.