1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of gender dysphoria being in the DSM-5?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IsThisAName, Jun 12, 2014.

1. IsThisAName

I'm a psych major so this kind of stuff is really interesting to me. In one of my classes I got the chance to read some of the DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), and it came to my attention that gender dysphoria is in there. In other words, the experience of being transgender is listed in a book of mental illnesses.

I feel that perhaps I have no place to speak on this since I am not transgender, but even so, I find this offensive. I'm sure most of you know that, until 1973, homosexuality was in the DSM as a mental illness. It wasn't until seven years later in 1980 that transsexualism was added to it.

What are your thoughts on gender dysphoria being in the DSM-5? Does this help or hurt the trans community? On the one hand, I understand that if one is wanting to transition away from the gender they were assigned at birth, that medical attention (hormones, surgery, etc) is necessary, so the issue is more medical as opposed to being gay, which requires no medical attention.

But on the other hand, I do not see how any of it has to do with mental illness. By saying this, I'm not trying to shoot down the trans community by any means--what I mean is that I do not see being trans as a mental illness, just as I do not see being gay as a mental illness. There is nothing wrong with being trans and so I do not see why it is listed as a mental disorder.

Thoughts, anyone?

2. Maeve

I'm also a psych major, and I'm not opposed to it being in there.

It typically causes personal and interpersonal distress for long periods of time
    It's often comorbid with other mental health disorders, such as depression and anxiety
    It usually requires some form of treatment, both medical and psychological
    Sex reassignment surgery and hormonal therapy require a diagnosis from a mental health professional
    Because it IS in the DSM-5, practitioners can bill insurance for it. That means trans* people can get help if they want it.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I don't think being trans is a mental illness either, but it does (for some people at least) require medical treatment (hormones, surgery) so I do think it should be recognized as a medical thing. Especially as SRS is so expensive, and this increases the chances of insurance companies paying for trans-related treatment. As long as it's not classified as a disorder I don't really mind it being in there. Either way, people that are planning to medically transition really should talk to a gender therapist first since medically transitioning is quite a big deal. So I guess it should be in there, I just don't want it to be classified as a disorder. I'm really not sure if any of this makes any sense since I'm sort of rambling here but oh well :rolle:

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Physical and social dysphoria (or both) result in various mental maladies like depression and anxiety which relate to weight loss and health issues and such.

But is wanting to be a different gender a deviant behavior and a mental illness?

Fuck no.

5. Alfhild

i think it requires medical treatment, but is NOT a mental disorder of any kind.
    sadly some people still see that way, and on top of that refuse medical treatment too

6. Maeve

7. IsThisAName

That's exactly what I said? If it's in the DSM, it's considered a disorder, no matter what they changed the name to.

The struggles and discrimination that result from being trans* can lead to depression, anxiety, distress, etc--but those are issues by themselves. Being trans* in itself is not a mental issue. The distress that arises from how screwed up our society is is a mental issue. (Pretty much just like Kasey said.)

8. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally don't mind it being in there, but that's just me. Especially since it's not actually classified as a disorder. I can see how having it in there might help make transitioning easier, if insurance will actually pay for it that way.

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I have a mental disorder then sign me up for the loony bin with the rest of my awesome trans brothers and sisters.

We can have a party together.

10. Hexagon

I think: trans people aren't mentally ill, and it shouldn't be in there. The reason it's still there is because it's required that someone be diagnosed in order to receive hormone and surgical therapy. As things stand, taking it out would simply mean we couldn't be treated. They could put us in the physical illness manual instead, but that has just as many problems, and has the potential to be more dangerous. So my proposal is as follows: let people decide who they are, and if need be, offer them a way to attain the body they need to be happy. Stop trying to lock the gate and demand proof of insanity before unlocking it.

11. IsThisAName

Hexagon, I agree. Now that you and others have mentioned, I understand that it's kind of necessary so that those who are trans* can get approved for hormones, surgery, etc. I have a friend who is trans* and he is currently going through counseling so that doctors can make sure he is sure about transitioning. I think surely there must be a better way that they can make sure that people are ready to transition than to put it in the DSM. It seems rather odd to me.

Kasey, you're not sick, unless being fabulous and sexy is an illness... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I don't personally like it very much, mental illness implies that there is some sort of problem in their thinking, but there isn't. The problem lies in their body, and if someone is in the wrong body, it makes perfect sense that there will be dysphoria. However because of transgender being viewed as a medical disorder, it means some insurances cover it, and surgery will not be deemed an unnecessary medical procedure. I have diabetes, and I'd rather people start saying my diabetes is a mental disorder than pay for $1000 of medicine out of pocket every month. I think the best solution is to switch it's status from psychiatric disorder to physical disorder. That way good insurance will still pay for treatment, but there won't be a negative stigma attached.

I'd like to think that some day we'll get to a point where people aren't offended to be called mentally ill when they aren't and it will be just like calling a blonde a brunette, incorrect, but not offensive. I believe mental disorders don't deserve the stigma attached to them.

13. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

This is one of those iffy ones. On one hand, calling a trans person 'mentally ill' is just plain wrong and ignorant, just like saying gay people are mentally ill. On the other hand, it differs from homosexuality in the fact it is more medical; it needs to be diagnosed in order for hormones and SRS to take place; it requires a lot of therapy and gender dysphoria causes depression and anxiety. I wouldn't say because of this makes it a mental ILLNESS though, just that it is medical and requires therapy and therapist approval to start transitioning. So if it wasn't listed, trans people may not get the help either.

If it was a disorder, I'd consider it a "physical disorder" since the body was wrong and needs correcting; not the mind.