1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Cup Debate

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Perseus, Jun 13, 2014.

?

Do you like the World Cup?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2014.
  1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    53.5%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Don't have an opinion

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. Perseus

Okay so I had a debate with my friends on how the gay community views football (or soccer if you're American). I personally, I dislike the sport and the event even though I admire the sportsmanship and morals or the sport. (Some individual may not show respect... but in general) So the reason I created this poll is to question the EC community's views on the world cup.

The only matches I watch are normally the finals to be with my friends and the opening ceremony (for the olympics as well, I love the olympics) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: All the dancing and singing and choreographing impresses me.

Also, please be welcome to post your views on the the topic :slight_smile:

2. Bedroom Hymns

I think that football itself is a great sport and that it can be really fun. Buuuut I like it less and less as people's insane obsession with it increases. I don't like what it's become.

3. awesomeness

I don't necessarily dislike it, I just don't care for it.

It's actually gotten to the point where it turns me off when a guy is too into it, because pretty much all the guys that I hang out with are obsessed with the sport.

4. leer

I love football am a typical bloke

5. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love football and everything to do with it, play it, watch it, you name it!

6. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The sport itself, I don't much care for it. Like playing it, watching it much less so. On an institutional level (FIFA) I disagree with the world cup and the 2 world cups after it for several reasons (I haven't seen great moral credentials from FIFA, put it that way).

So yeah, I don't mind the actual sport- I even like playing it casually- but I don't find it engaging to watch and some of the institutions and culture surrounding it I don't find so likeable. Like what Bedroom Hymns said, I don't like what it's become.

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the sport but I don't like the corruption or extreme amounts of money involved in the game.

8. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

I can never be as enthusiastic about international football as I can when my club (Coventry City) play so I doubt that I'll be paying THAT much attention to the World Cup.

Too much patriotism for my liking, as well.

9. timo

I sincerely dislike football as a sport for a couple of reasons (like the ridiculous, completely out-of-proportion amount of money players get paid), but mostly it's just plain boring to watch.

That said, I don't like the world cup either. It's like a free pass to behave like a moron. Everything and everyone in the Netherlands turns orange during a world cup and I'm already done with it before the Dutch team* even played their first game

Needless to say I won't be watching any of the matches. I look forward to the day this is all over.

*) the Dutch football team, usually referred to as "we" - NO, you don't have a single fucking thing to do with the team so why on earth would you refer to yourself when the team wins or loses?

10. Foxface

11. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    god i hate it >.< i don't get it at all i used to play it though at school but i don't love it or obsessed with it like most guys are its so borrrrrrring to watch too

12. AlamoCity

I find watching the sport rather boring (playing it is a whole 'nother matter).

That said, I will end up watching a few games of the World Cup every four years, mainly the final games.

Also, apparently, soccer fans around the world are some of the most cantankerous and obnoxious fans of any sport. If what the media says is right, they're prone to rioting, making racist remarks, getting drunk, and acting like children.

13. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The majority are alright, but yeah... I've yet to see a sport that's worse in terms of fan behaviour.

Re acting like children: BBC News - World Cup 2014: Some England fans 'a bit carried away' ... lots of them do get "a bit carried away" :lol:

14. tscott

love the sport...hate the fans

15. AlamoCity

Isn't there a saying that says, "soccer is a gentleman's sport play by hooligans and rugby is a hooligan's sport played by gentlemen?"

16. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I love the sport to death... maybe not that much. The show itself is beautiful, the people, the emotion. But then of course you have your die-hard fans, I try to ignore them because they just ruin the game. This World Cup makes me feel strange. First its the setting, Brazil is not ready to host the World Cup, and those protesters are right. My best friend's family is from there and she lives in the same City where Portugal is currently staying. Second is because I don't feel the magic from the World Cup. This year is different and I don't know why.

EDIT: P.S. It's called football :grin:

17. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sport is Great, Just not something I'm into.
    I think the World Cup is a good event, Something to share with other people and have fun with but I think it and fans can be way too much at times.

18. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure if that saying exists, but it sounds right - rugby never attracts hooliganism, rioting or racism, whereas you can't seem to escape it when football is around. I don't know why there is such a significant difference between the followers of both sports, but the way football fans act can be truly appalling, or criminal. God knows how many people have died due to something football-related, and I'm ashed to say that English fans are probably the worst of any nation when it comes to their behaviour, and they have been banned from going to foreign matches in the past due to their antics.

To answer the question - no interest at all. Very boring.

#18 imnotreallysure, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  19. Weekender

I love the sport, and I look forward to the World Cup almost as much as I look forward to the summer Olympics every four years.

20. Harve

[​IMG]

Amazing.