1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bergdahl

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JStevens96, Jun 13, 2014.

?

Do You Approve Of The Release Of Bergdahl?

Poll closed Jun 18, 2014.
  1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Thoughts & opinions on Bergdahl being released in exchange for 5 terrorists by Obama?

From what I hear, the 5 were going to be released anyways due to international law, since we are trying to end the war if Afghan, they would have to go.

Bergdahl wouldn't be released for he was a hostage not a prisoner.

Some say he was a deserter, sure it may be true, but we don't do background checks before saving soldiers.

But what are your thoughts on it? Did you hear anything else or different stories?

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Yes, I approve of the swap, and it is reprehensible that the same republicans who were crying for his release and cheering at his release (Including Peter King, John McCain, Joni Ernst, and others) then turn around and attack the President for the swap. The 5 TALIBAN (Not Al-Qaeda) soldiers were due for release in about a year anyways, and they are basically under house arrest for a year in Qatar before they can even do anything.

3. Jethro702

Yep... I agree. I have seen a few people on FB post about how the US doesn't negotiate with terrorists, only to be pointed out that we have been swapping them for captured soldiers for years... then they delete their FB post so it's like it never happened.

4. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Also, America and the UN have never actually classified the Taliban as a terrorist organization, so "We don't negotiate with terrorists" doesn't really apply. Prisoner swaps are a common facet of warfare and have been for a long time, and this is no different. As for the law, this was a secret and time sensitive negotiation. 30 days public notice would have crippled the ability to carry it out. As for the desertion accusations, try the guy in court and see what comes of it.

5. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Agreed, Agreed, Agreed.

6. Jethro702

Yep.. Yep... I for one am glad to bring someone back who has been held captive for 5 years.

7. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I thought you typo'd Benghazi really bad

8. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    for a minute i thought you were being totally sarcastic in typing BURGER DOLL!!! instead of bergdahl

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This whole Bergdahl controversy is nothing more than an election-year stunt to whip up more hysteria among the Republican base to get them to donate money.

10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't support it. His dad seems like an al Queda sympathizer. His fellow comrades on the ground said he deserted them. Men died that would not have been patrolling that area of Afghanistan looking for him. The U.S. shouldn't negotiate with terrorists.

11. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Yes but we do because we would never get anything done. Innocent until proven guilty. No soldier left behind. Good we got rid of guys who were being released soon anyways.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  13. Jethro702

1. We shouldn't bring a soldier home because his father "seems like" a al Queda sympathizer? I fail to see the logic to that.... I fact I read a article that said he was a registered Republican.... Ill have to find it... had some good stuff in it.

2. The U.S. has been negotiating with these people for years, decades even, so I think it is a false statement to say we don't. In fact some 500+ Quitmo detainees were released in Bush administration....

14. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Anything regarding his father is irrelevant information.
    Presumption of innocence is law.
    Should we abandon any rescue attempt that results in casualties, then?
    The US government has never had the Taliban on our list of terrorist organizations.

15. DMark69

I am not a fan how we got him released, but I do strongly believe he should have been brought back to the United States. His father has nothing to do with weather he should have been brought back. There seems to be some evidence in the media that he may have deserted. Desertion is a violation of Article 85 of the Uniform Code Of Military Justice, and in a time of war may be punished with Death or as a court martial may direct. Having said that we have not executed anyone for desertion since the 1950s, and I would only support it if the Army did an investigation to see if enough evidence was there to bring him to court marital, and then the court martial found him guilty. He deserves his day in court, and not to be a hostage in a foreign country.
    He may also be guilty of violations of Article 92, and Article 85 of the UCMJ as well based on news reports, however none of the charges have been proven in a court martial, so he is innocent until proven guilty.

16. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Give his dad a duck call and a bandana and he'd look like a guy from Duck Dynasty and vote like one, too.

2. The six people who are labelled as KIA died over a three month span. Bergdahl's living squadron members say they would not have been there if they were not looking for him, but who is to say that they wouldn't have died (alone with the rest of the squad) somewhere else? They're at war, it isn't just like they were in danger looking for Sgt. Bergdahl.

17. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In fairness, he did not say that the US doesn't negotiate with terrorists, he said that the shouldn't.

That said, I have zero problems with this situation.

18. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Yeah, those judging his Dad are stereotyping, willing to disobey the constitution & not give Bergdahl due process & are likely just looking for a way to hate on Obama.

The media, Faux News, didn't tell the full story of course & people won't take the time to read it or understand it.

It's much easier just to complain that 5 terrorists got released rather than actually read the full story.