1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is make up considered a feminine quality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by straightqueer20, Jun 13, 2014.

1. straightqueer20

I don't really get that. I mean I thought both men and women want to look their best. What's so feminine about that?

I have gotten comments in the past that it's not very professional. All I had were my eyebrows were done and a little make up for blemishes bronzer and chapstick. I don't see how that's really unprofessional when it's only to really enhance a natural look? I mean idk why in all a professional setting why it's unacceptable?

#1 straightqueer20, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  2. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Re: Why is make up considered feminine?

It got the label as feminine because more women wear makeup than men do... Just society...

Remember back then when guys all looked like girls as those rock & roll peeps. Definitely died out. So again, women dominate the makeup scene making it seem feminine. (Which is fine)

3. Cass

I rarely wear more than eyeliner myself *shrugs*

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really understand this either. In many fields, both men and women have to wear makeup. (It could be movies, acting for theater, television and many more.)

5. Make up should be gender neutral. I think you're absolutely right, straightqueer.
    There is no good reason why make up "should only be worn by women" which is what society tells us. I can't even make up a reason why makeup became only a "girl thing".

It's really stupid.

I'm sorry that someone told you you looked unprofessional. I think that's ridiculous. It just sounds to me like you care about how you look and so you do the stuff that makes you feel good. Which is what makeup is supposed to be about. And it should be like that for everyone and anyone regardless of gender.

6. straightqueer20

Re: Why is make up considered feminine?

But why do guys wear it less like throughout time? You know.

#6 straightqueer20, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  7. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Through history, makeup was associated with power. Men in Egypt traditionally wore more than women. I really don't get it.
    I only conceal blemishes. That's all.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess because guys shouldn't need extra products to look good? o.0 IDK, we're just more associated with ruggedness and definition rather than nice blends of color. But I agree with the majority that makeup use on guys should not be stigmatized.

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not something I would do ever, but it's fine if others want to do it.

10. BelleFromHell

I'm a female, but I can't wear makeup. This is due to a number of factors (sensitive skin, hypoallergenic makeup is expensive, my mom never taught me how to apply it, mascara makes me look like a raccoon, etc).

Anyway, I don't see why makeup needs to be a "girls' only" thing. It's probably because society likes to assosiate makeup with "whores," and "only women can be whores!" *feminist rant*

I find a woman who puts 10 layers of cake on her face everyday to be much more disturbing than a dude with some makeup. Plus, do I even have to mention all of the badass metal band members who've donned makeup?

It's your body, so wear whatever you want. As long as you aren't revealing anything, it shouldn't be anyone's business.

11. White Knight

Clowns wear make up. Do they look feminine to you? To me they look scary. :grin:

12. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

I sometimes wear makeup but not all the time. Makeup should be for everyone. I guess people see makeup as a feminine thing is because of society and cultural development.

13. leer

I agree it should be more accepted for all sexes. But say i went to school with a bit of blusher on I would have got my arse kicked it just wasn't accepted at school

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While it's obviously not inherently feminine, I find it hardly surprising that societies which have valued women almost entirely on their looks attribute cosmetics to femininity.

It's not like this question needs to be asked; we know that already. Socially, women are considered more valuable the more attractive they are. We can only seek to change it by refusing to judge men who wear make-up and women who don't.