1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guys: How do you get nice clothes for cheap? What is your secret?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by QueerTransEnby, Jun 14, 2014.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am looking to upgrade my wardrobe as it is rather drab. I am a cheapskate admittedly, just how I was raised. :lol: But what are your secrets for upgrading your wardrobe with stylish but inexpensive clothes?

2. Mitchell

I buy mine on Amazon.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Find an op-shop/thrift shop (like Saint Vincent de Paul or the Salvation Army) in the richest area near you. The people who donate there generally will be from nearby, with higher incomes and the ability to dispose high-quality items in tolerable condition.

4. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Amazon and eBay.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mostly wear sweat pants and a plain T so...ya...

6. AlamoCity

Pretty good suggestion :slight_smile:. I go to the "wealthier" thrift shops when on my quest for antiques.

----------

Other suggestions are:

*Go to off-price retailers like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Stein Mart. Check out their clearance racks and you can find even better deals.

*Go to a regular department store and find brands you like and the sizes that fit you and make a note of that. Stop by their clearance racks while you're there and you might be pleasantly surprised. If not, take the information you got and head to eBay and look for similar clothing in the same size/brand. You might not find the exact item, but you may find last season's almost identical shirt for much less.

*Save money specifically for clothes and hit the shops when they have their major sales, which are usually twice a year (usually known as their "semi annual sales"). For example, Brooks Brothers has their best clearance after Father's Day and Christmas.

*When you buy higher quality clothing, it should last longer but you can also take steps to make it last even more, and thereby save you money. Wash all your clothes "inside-out" and in the gentlest setting (e.g. "delicates"). Hang to dry if you can or set it in the dryer's lowest setting. High heat both shrinks and slowly destroys clothing. If possible, use cold water for all the washing.

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm so last season dahling!:lol:

Always wait for the end of season sales and buy, buy, buy. Unless your social circle is in permanent tune with the latest trends and styles, you'll get away with it and save yourself a fair bit.

8. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I usually buy from asos or boohoo, the price range from cheap to expensive.

9. LD579

Lots of window shopping and buying on sale, getting price adjustments if items go on sale after you buy them, and buying quality things that will last, etc.

10. Yosia

Primark!!! XD

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I echo the idea about going to a thrift shop that gets better merchandise. Almost all my clothes are from thrift shops. The only things I buy new are underwear, socks, and swim suits.

12. Ravi-VIXX777

Get clothes by the end of the season because the store will update new clothes for new weather. Stores usually will have a sale. H&M seems to have low prices, I got nice shorts for $13. Some stores will have you sign up to receive points to have coupons, other stores will post weekly adds online too.

13. tulipinacup

I usually buy my clothes from the bargain store. The trick is to buy clothes that you don't usually wear for the current weather. Like for example when it's summer, you can try buying winter boots or sweater because most likely the prices would drop to a certain percentage.

14. Teslahemian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thrift stores are good places to find awesome clothes cheap, but I've noticed, at least in my area, the quality is often very inconsistent and more often than not, I leave empty handed. I'm kind of picky, too, so that doesn't help too much.

I find that if you live near somewhere with a mall with a couple large department stores (the one near me has Dillards, JCPenny, and Sears), they will have at least 3 times a year a major sale where you can come in and buy clothes dirt cheap. I've found fairly stylish Ralph Lauren business casual dress this way (sometimes for less than $10 for shirts and slacks). Growing up, I liked to dress nice, I wasn't tied to brand names but just wanted to look good. My dad would take me to these sales (often announced in local newpapers a week or so in advance) a lot, and it would be like a game to find awesome looking clothes on the cheap.

15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Laundry practices also are worth considering to maximize the life of the clothes.

I don't agree with the cold water for all the washing idea. Cold water is not as effective in my experience. Beyond that, using nothing but cold water is not good for washing machines, because weird gunk can build up in hidden parts of the washer.

That's not to say that one should use a lot of hot water, because that brings its own set of problems.

To my mind, a better approach is aggressive sorting of laundry, with wash settings that are selected by what is best for a particular load. Something like a load of nice pants might be just fine with a light wash, using a coolish (even cold) water setting. But other loads--like underwear, shirts worn against the skin, sheets, and towels--do benefit from warmer water in my experience.

Another thing worth thinking about is detergent. Almost all detergent sold in the US now has optical brighteners (OBA). These make your whites look white, but also can make darks look faded. So finding a detergent that has no optical brighteners included is a good idea for one's nice, dark clothes. No idea what brands avoid brighteners, but the last I heard Seventh Generation had none. I am guessing--but only guessing here--that Woolite for Darks might be OBA free, too. As of a few years ago, some--but not all--versions of Cheer were OBA free.

One other detergent note: I think it can be worth having more than one detergent around so that one can choose the best stuff for each load. This can also be a good budget move. For many loads, one really doesn't need much cleaning power, so why use the expensive-per-load detergent?

I also like line drying. (Note that drying in the sun will cause colors to fade, though!). If drying in a dryer, a low setting for good clothes does seem like a good idea.

16. lionfood

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you live in the UK/Ireland, Primark has cheap clothes and most of them are pretty nice! Just be prepared to stitch a few seams. I've never had any real problems but once I split a seam on a tank top from there, and my friend has broken several stitches.

17. leer

Primark again for me or Next sometimes for a nice shirt or even Tesco are good

18. timo

I either shop online at places like Asos or Topman, or buy it in cheaper stores like H&M or Pull&Bear ah you're in the US, they don't have P&B stores, but they might have an online store.

19. Hiems

H&M, Old Navy, Kohl's, Burlington Coat Factory, Ross, and Target.

Raid all of the clearance racks LOL.

20. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For me Marshall's and cheapundies.com