1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The gay guy always finds out last!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuseduser99, Jun 14, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

Is it just me, or is it usually the gay guy that realizes that he's gay last? All throughout my life, people have hinted at me that I'm gay, would tease me, etc. I always thought to myself "me gay? Haha! Yeah right". Fast forward to April of this year, and I finally admitted it to myself.

I've seen this happen to other gay guys too. It's not that we don't know that we're "different", but it seems like everyone else pretty much accepts the fact that we're gay before we accept it for ourselves.

Anyone else here feel the same way?

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, the kids at school thought that I was gay teasing me incessantly. They were half right. :slight_smile:

The person I know in the class above me fit all of the stereotypes and pinged my gaydar since 7th grade. I actually thought he was a girl when I met him that's how effeminate he was. He said he didn't know he was gay until after high school.

3. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Even your closest friend will be surprised if you tell them. Not everyone is watching closely your every move to judge/label you. You are not the last to find out who you really are!

4. Kabuki

Pretty much! At least in my case. Everyone thought I was gay, even after I came out on facebook, one of my friends texted me and we talked, he said "i knew you were gay I was just keeping your secret" and I just had to laugh because a lot of people must have thought that too.

5. confuseduser99

I just came out to two friends yesterday. One of them said how people I knew from elementary school thought that I was gay in high school (and I didn't even go to the same high school as my elementary school friends... I moved towns).

Guess some of us aren't that great at hiding our "gayness", no matter how hard we try! Everyone knows who we are before we accept it ourselves!

6. Kabuki

:lol: so true!! But hey... not everyone is ready to accept something like that, even more so considering our family background and beliefs. So, I think we have achieved a lot by accepting ourselves even if it wasn't that fast. Besides... who's to say that maybe some of them are gay too and still haven't accepted it.

7. Cass

My best friend was so shocked

8. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've wondered the same thing, when I've come out to my friends some were surprised, yet a few said it's about time

9. yep

yep

I'm the same way. All my friends knew from like 6th grade and I only just came out/accepted myself this year. Haha!

10. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here. I finally started coming out to people after a 20-year marriage and 2 kids, and of the 12-14 people I've told so far, only two were mildly surprised. The rest really weren't.

11. Calix

I knew my brother was gay years before he came out xD

12. confuseduser99

I feel like that's something my sister would say about me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

My mom knew since I was five that I wasn't heterosexual. I always complained about how boring boys clothes are, and asked why guys can't wear pretty colors and flowers. And fast forward to today, I wear whatever I feel like, and I take great pride in the fact that I went out to a meeting today and the same amount of people referred to me as he or she. People can't tell, even though my haircut is pretty short for me right now and I was wearing male clothes. I think I just have a lot of feminine energy that people pick up on.

14. Anonymouse7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friends had all pretty much worked it out but everyone else had no idea, obviously I had let a few things slip over the years!

Make that a lot of things

15. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if we are always the last, but it took me most of my life to figure it out; I don't know what other people think, but only one person has ever asked me if I am gay, so it must not have been very obvious.

16. confuseduser99

^ I don't know why I'm so "obvious" to many people. Am I really flamboyant or something? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't know how to answer that. Many assume since I'm soft spoken that I am.

18. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's probably a combination of many obvious and/or less obvious traits. For example, Alexie Sherman is in a heterosexual marriage, but he has a distinct way of communicating that I rarely see outside of gay men, and others have suspected the same thing.

Of course I think a lot of people who come out later in life have at least suspected something might have been off from an early age, a feeling of being different, but won't go anywhere near that thought for years.

I definitely think EC has sped up that process for me!

19. confuseduser99

^ I just wonder what my traits are. I mean, I don't think I have many, but ever since I was a kid (maybe 7-8ish), people thought I was "different".

20. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No idea how common this is. However, it does happen. Two possible reasons:
    1. It is sometimes easier seeing something in someone else than one's own self simply because one is "too close" to one's own life.
    2. It's probably easier to accept that someone else is gay than it is to accept that oneself is gay. (With some possible exceptions, such as parents accepting their children). I know in my case I took a live and let live, who really cares? attitude towards LGBT during my Years of Denial. Even so, it was not easy to take that attitude with myself.