1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever have a hard time keeping a straight face around homophobes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wuggums47, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Don't get me wrong, I know how hurtful these people are, but sometimes I hear a homophobic comment and it is so incredibly stupid that I can't help but laugh. This usually pisses them off to no end, so I'm kind of glad that I do it. I was watching a prison show earlier, and the warden made a comment about how he petitioned several times to have the butch women moved to a separate wing of the prison because "Butch women are more dangerous from the testosterone". I had a hard time not laughing at that. I don't find all the hate funny, but the stupidity of homophobia is very funny to me, especially when the person saying those things says it with 100% seriousness, and is genuinely shocked when people don't agree with them. Every time I hear a homophobe make the slippery slope argument I crack up a bit. I mean how can anyone be so dumb as to think that gay people have a secret plan to sully the institution of marriage by making it legal to marry their toasters next.

Not every homophobic thing is funny to me, it's not funny at all when someone pickets a funeral or something like that. But when it's just some guy going on about how the effeminate men fixing houses on HGTV are placed there to convert his children to gaydom, it's hard to see him as a real threat. And incase your wondering, yes people really do say that.

I guess I'm a bit weird, but I can't be completely alone on this can I? I mean I'm also the kind of person who laughs at movies like dumb and dumber. So I never claimed to have a tasteful sense of humor.

#1 Wuggums47, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014
  2. BelleFromHell

Yes, but I have a hard time keeping a straight face around people in general. I have severe social anxiety, to the point where I avoid looking at someone's face whenever I can.

3. Anonymouse7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find most homophobic comments absolutely hilarious! It is doubly entertaining for me when other people get offended by the comment and can't work out why I find it funny, and bonus points are awarded from the confused expression on the homophobes face.

I do laugh at horror films though so my sense of humour isn't exactly normal though, but I would rather find a homophobic comment funny than hurtful.

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually feel more exasperated when I hear people say stupid things about homosexuality. If it is true ignorance rather than hatefully oriented, then I will try to correct them or give them something to think about, such as "Why do you think anyone would CHOOSE to be in a minority that gets discriminated against?", or "If you think it is something a person chooses, then when did you CHOOSE to be straight?"

If they have any reasoning ability, they might pause and think about how stupid what they are saying is at some point, but being in the South, the more usual comment begins with "The Bible says ...". Which I translate as "Why should I bother to think for myself, when I can look up the answer in a 2000 year old version of the Junior Woodchucks Manual* to tell me how to think?" :eusa_doh:

*For those of you younger members who don't know what the Junior Woodchucks Manual is, it was the Scouts manual used by Donald Duck's nephews, Huey, Dewey, and Louie when they had a question they couldn't answer about something important in their life.

5. NYStateOfMind

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I find it hilarious and laugh to myself except when it's family, then it kind of hurts.

6. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

My face gets really gay actually

7. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

What does a gay face look like exactly axolotyl? Trying to picture that...

8. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

the opposite... of the straight face :wink:

9. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I was watching the same prison show again, Orange is the New Black, this time an inmate was talking about how the rapture was coming after she gets out of prison, "The 2011 rapture was a spiritual rapture, and the physical one is coming next, But your not invited, because there are no gays on the rapture bus". The gay person said "There's a bus?" Oh my gosh, almost died laughing there. I'm so happy my religion has an official stance against all those end of the world predictions.

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can keep a straight face around homophobic people , I'm very use to hearing homophobic comments from others but I can't help but get mad on the inside

#10 stocking, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  11. Hexagon

Sometimes. Some of the 'logic' I've heard makes me either laugh or weep for humanity.

12. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

No , not really. I just understand that those people are ignorant and immature.

13. Kat 5

I can. I usually find a way to create an unfortunate "accident" afterwards. Its tragic that that guys shirt got milk all over it.

14. PurpleGrey

Wait... people actually picket funerals? What exactly are they protesting?

Back on track, yes, the ones that don't make rational sense are damn funny. I like to call illogical reasoning like this Batman Logic. For obvious reasons.

15. BelleFromHell

I take it you've never heard of the Westboro Baptist Church.

16. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

My face is so gay they don't even say things around me.

17. turtleboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lol yes I laugh really awkwardly and get really nervous Hmm I don't know why maybe because I'm gay *awkwardlaugh*

18. lovecooper

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sometimes. But usually I just ignore or even better yet leave because people like them are not worth my time. Have to bring myself down to their "level" to understand them, if you know what I mean.

19. Au.Quicksilver

Very often. I'm an easy, but weird, laugh and most homophobic things are ridiculous to me, so I can't keep a straight face. Not in the least.

20. Devin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Now I do.

But I used to be one, so there's that.