1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only child = Selfish

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TeePee, Jun 14, 2014.

1. TeePee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was born an only child. I've hardly had to share things for most of my life. Most of my cousins are male and most of them have lived together and we just consider each other brothers. For half my life i lived either alone or with 3 people or less. About a year ago i moved back to my grandma's and God is it super-crowded. Everyone seems to be okay sharing things eg, i'm used to watching what i want and when i want to, i've used the bathroom without having to take ''turns'', i hate sharing my phone or clothes etc. I know they seem to be very small issues and present me as spoilt. Is it because i'm an only child or i'm just selfish. Don't get me wrong i love my family but i prefer us not being around each each other all the time

2. LD579

It's not about selfishness. Rather, it's about how you've been raised and how there's been a big change. I would try to be less hard on yourself while still recognizing those differences in circumstance and trying to adapt to them. It's also perfectly reasonable to want your own space at times.

3. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Yeah that seems to be more of a "having to complety readjust" thing, having to learn new rulea and expectations and habits. You are good, you will be okay c:

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went off to college and all of a sudden had to share a bathroom with 30 other people on the floor and realized how nice it was to have a private bathroom at all. Does that make me selfish for enjoying the use of a private bathroom?

It's all in how you were raised. It wouldn't make any sense to say that my boyfriend, who's an only child, is selfish because his parents were unable to have any more children after him.

5. Gallatin

Yeah, it's just an adjustment thing. I'm an only child, and I went through something similar when I went away to university. It was a little rough to begin with, but I got used to most of it given some time. Though, truth be told, I could never really adjust to sharing a bathroom! That was the only thing that always bothered me. :lol:

6. AlamoCity

I was an only child for ten years. It was a big adjustment when my sister came into the world. That said, I adapted to the situation and grew to enjoy it immensely.

I think you'll experience a similar situation where you will eventually adjust to the changes in your life and come to enjoy, or at least learn from the situation at hand. It is difficult to share when you previously never had to, but remember that if you ever enter into a romantic relationship you will have to get used to sharing control over things you previously held absolute control. If it helps, consider this a dress rehearsal for that :lol:.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bingo. Not only that, but you have to learn to let things go. This hot me like a ton of bricks last fall when we did move in together.

8. photoguy93

It's just about who you are and how you were brought up. I'm an only child and I just.. Am not accustomed to living with other people my age. The thought isn't about being better than someone or deserving something, it's... "Why do I have to do that?"
    And trust me - I know plenty of kids who have siblings who are crazy selfish.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your not selfish sweetie :slight_smile: if I had to live with a bunch of people I would take a whole bottle of melatonin :slight_smile: now anyway you'll probably have a bf pretty soon if u don't already then move out in the city and maybe have some dogs ya it's ok you're not selfish (*hug*)

10. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's amazing. My story is the opposite. I am the oldest of 10, and I would love to have been the only child.

11. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I do think it's how you are raised. I am an only child but I was never spoiled to the point where I expected stuff. I've been around kids who are put on pedestals and always whine about wanting a new toy. When my friends came over to play, I had no problem sharing because I knew that they had siblings and probably didn't always get to play with what they wanted all the time. I feel like a lot of them have to constantly be entertained. Like they have a hard time playing by themselves. I preferred to play alone. Also, at one of my birthdays. I gave my presents back to my guests because I thought everyone should get a present. My mom had to tell me they were all for me.

12. BelleFromHell

I was an only child for 10 years and I was a selfish bitch. 7 years later, I have a 7 year old brother and a 1 month old sister, yet I'm still a selfish bitch.

Don't even get me started on all the step-siblings I've had. I've stopped keeping count.

#12 BelleFromHell, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  13. Hexagon

I was an only and a half child. My brother is my half brother, and I only lived with him until I was six. He used to break my things on purpose.