1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell if a person is bi or gay

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wardrobeescaper, Jun 15, 2014.

1. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey,

First off, I don't want this to become another one of those "I have a crush on xx, can you tell me if the following means their gay or might like me back". There are some people, nearly all straight, who can read people really well and discover who is gay/bi and who isn't though observations and behavior analysis. I have tried to look for something constructive on the internet but there is a lot of misleading information and I guess as homosexuality was seen as a mental illness/choice no one has really researched it enough to produce any meaningful findings. So yes, the question I am asking is, can someone give me some factual information on behavior traits etc that have been studied on gay/bi people if there is indeed anything conclusive out there.

Thanks

2. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    About the only way to know for sure if a guy is bi/gay is "Hey are you into guys?".

The spectrum of bi/gay men is as diverse as the spectrum of straight men... Well maybe more so because I have never heard of anyone being called a flaming heterosexual lol. This means there is no trait that is a gay trait or a straight trait.

#2 redneck, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  3. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    that's very true and just as I thought. It is really a spectrum isn't it, i've had guys who are straight who try things or go the whole way and say their curious, i've known other straight guys who wont even talk about the subject. I've also known gay guys who try women once in a while... yep the list is endless.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow more people are probably bisexual than we think and men's sexuality is just as fluid as women and not cut and dry like people love to believe.

#4 stocking, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  5. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Stocking, I don't think anything in life is cut and dry. There is more curiosity in males, there is just too much stigma and fear that stops some of the shyest from trying things out. That said, not everyone wants to try things out.

I am tempted to write about my bromance on here

6. Yosia

If they are kissing the same sex then they are likely bi or gay. XD

7. marie11

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think there's any defining characteristics that'll tell you for sure. If you want to ask someone without being really direct maybe you could ask them about relationships or bring up gay rights news and try to get a hint that way.

I think people who guess whether people are gay/bi based on observations/behavior traits are usually making assumptions based on stereotypes (a guy likes feminine things, must be gay). They could also just be able to tell if that person has a crush on someone else and if the person is the same sex, then it makes sense to assume they're gay/bi/pan.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ask, and hope they tell the truth.

That really is the only way.

9. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The only real way to tell is to ask them.
    I do think there are ways you can get an idea, like watching who they check out, but they will always be flawed.