1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biological desire to have procreate? Why is the focus on women?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by straightqueer20, Jun 15, 2014.

1. straightqueer20

I just always wondered this? Like I was trying to look up whether it was a biological desire to want to have kids of your own or not. Because I was talking to a fb friend who indicated that it was not a natural desire to have a need to procreate and in men especially. The thing is I've noticed among my brothers full brothers they all have children They're both in their 20's. My dad was the same way. I'm like the only guy with no children 20 years old. My brothers always had a desire to have kids actually lot of kids with a lot of different women. Each one has at least 2 women they've had a child at least with. I myself had always wanted children but like I don't like girls well the ones that can get pregnant at least so it's always been a future thing but I'm so young now my gf and I are still in school and stuff so yea. My dad's dad was the same way and none of them are deadbeats. My cousin is even this way has two kids already at 22. So I decided to look it up if biological desire to procreate is actually real all I could find was about women and motherhood. I was not concerned about motherhood. I was curious in men how come so many articles are focused on motherhood when I'd think it would include both?

2. Cass

"Typically" women have a stronger biological desire to have kids, but LOTS of men do too. The focus is on women because society is stupid. The biological desire to procreate is real and does exist but not in all people.

3. Kat 5

True dat.

4. straightqueer20

Yeah I think it does too I just couldn't find anything on it I changed my search and found more stuff more about women and motherhood but one included men haven't read it yet.

I don't get why it's believed though typically that women have a stronger biological desire.

5. Cass

Cause we push them out so that must mean we want then more. According to society that is.

6. BelleFromHell

Because society believes that everyone with a vagina is obligated to procreate, yet the same logic doesn't apply to men. This goes back to the days when you could give your 13 year old daughter to some 40 year old man in exchange for a cow.

^^ Agreed.

7. straightqueer20

logically I guess that makes sense consider is how bad childbirth can be.

I guess it's just from how I was raised. My mom and the women in her family didn't really seem to want their children. My mom said likely if she never met my dad she'd never have had kids. That she had kids for both of her husbands not for her own desire. Many of the women in my mom's family actually let the dads takes care of their kids or even the grandpa in worst situations.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom kept talking about saving my old baby stuff for her "grand kids" when I was in my teens. Then a couple years ago, she said, "I guess I won't have grand kids." It's not just pressure on women.

9. BelleFromHell

No, there's definitely pressure on men too, just usually not as much.

10. straightqueer20

I always thought people long ago had a lot more pressure on the sons to have children to pass inheritance and the like.

11. kem

kem

I wish I had a child by the time in 25. I'm somewhat open about it, but I do feel like people think it's weird and it bums me out.

12. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One difference to explain why it seems more "important" to women is that if they want kids they have to do it before menopause, it's often referred as the "biological clock".

13. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I find it just as easy to believe that this is entirely socially-ingrained. Unless there is actual scientific proof otherwise?

14. straightqueer20

I want to have kids by 28 at least. But my gf doesn't want kids until her early 30's.

---------- Post added 15th Jun 2014 at 11:27 PM ----------

yeah I've heard of that. But for men it's harder to conceive as they age.

15. florence2000

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Society puts these stereotypes on life.

16. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are many people who think that if you have an uterus you should carry a baby. Sometimes when I say that I don't want my own child people look at me like I killed someone, or at least that I'm just kidding.

17. straightqueer20

I believe there is.

18. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My thoughts exactly.

19. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Such as?

20. straightqueer20

sexual attraction actually itself has to do with it. If there was no biological desire to procreate so many men wouldn't like the whr ratio so often. I read somewhere that the waist to shoulder ratio is also analogous to the whr in women which is a little weird to me because I can't create a child with a guy yet I find those characteristics attractive. So even on the basic level it has been proven that the attractive people are subconsciously seen as their healthiest and most fertile etc.

My father's family is a good example of that including my brothers. My brothers weren't even raised with my dad so there was no pressure. In my early 20's now I definitely don't feel pressure to have a child. So it's definitely not a socially ingrained thing.