1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Food Industry

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Polterpup, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Polterpup

Anyone else completely disgusted with the food industry? Ya know, slaughterhouses and such? I just can't stand the thought of those abused animals...crammed into cages, mistreated and malnourished. It's just so unfair...and it should be illegal. Just wondering, how many people are unaware of this treatment? Just curious.

2. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

It is depressing and shitty

3. AlamoCity

Yeah, I love meat but dislike the general treatment of animals in commercial "farms." I just wish there were ways to produce quality meat, under humane conditions, and at affordable prices.

4. Natalie S

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know, the entire meat industry is disgusting. I did an animal rights report last year and ended up researching tyson foods. I have been a vegetarian ever since.

5. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Which is why I was vegetarian for three years. I just can't think about it anymore, because I have to have meat for health reasons.
    It's disgusting and sad. When I can afford it, I get organic/free range.

6. marie11

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Reading Fast Food Nation made me so disgusted in the meat industry. Not just for the sake of the animals, which is bad enough, but also for the workers who are taken advantage of. The whole system is terrible.

7. Polterpup

It's horrible that the few acceptable meat companies (or whatever you wanna call them) are so extremely overpriced. I don't eat meat unless its seafood. And we get our eggs from local farms.

8. BelleFromHell

I think the way animals are treated in the food industry is totally unacceptable, and this is coming from someone with iron-deficiency anemia who loves meat and cheese.

I don't like the way organizations like PeTA go about it, though. They make it sound like everyone who doesn't go vegetarian is automatically horrible person, even though some people (like myself) have health conditions that would kill them if they gave up on meat. Not to mention they kill thousands of pets a year, but that's a rant for another day.

I do believe there's hope. Everyday, I read about fast food resturants taking artifical colors and such out of their foods. If we make how animals are treated in the food industry more well known (without going as extreme as PeTA), people will wise up. The more people stop eating at fast food resturants, and the more people talk about this, the more likely they'll start treating their animals better. I know it's impossible to cut that stuff out of diets 100% and switch to humane foods, but a little goes a long way. If 10,000 people decide to stop going to McDonald's for a week or two every month, they're going to notice.

9. Polterpup

Although, I do appreciate that some fast food restaraunts do have vegetarian options. Like Burger King has an oh so delicious veggie burger.

10. BelleFromHell

I didn't know Burger King had a veggie burger. I know Taco Bell has some kind of veggie taco/burrito.

11. Spider

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm vegetarian because of the mistreatment of animals. A lot of people tell me they just really don't care how the animals are treated.

12. BelleFromHell

I'm not a vegetarian, but I certainly care about animals. That's pretty terrible. :frowning2:

13. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I think I read somewhere recently that suggested lobsters and crabs might feel anxiety ): I love seafood but have always avoided eating crusteaceans, because boiling seemed so cruel. I feel u, my spirit animals ;_;

14. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

That reminds me, I have a pet crawfish who fell out of a 'boil bag' at HEB and employees were arguing over who had to flush him. They were trying to pick him up with chopsticks. So... He lives with my goldfish.

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's why I'm vegan. It absolutely should be illegal (not that I think it's morally much better to raise an animal well only to kill it to satisfy yourself for a mere 20 minutes of a meal), but meat industries have long claws and big funds, and governments rarely get around that.

16. Melanie

Melanie Guest

I'm Vegan.

17. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

OH MY GOD.... bless you! I love those little guys *3* A much, much better fate than getting stuck and dying in toilet/sewage pilelines :/ My local HEB does crawfish and potato boils some weekends and it's..... not when I go to the grocery store now. depressing......

18. tulipinacup

There are cases here wherein there are meat who are already dead or have died of illness and still smuggle them for the consumer. This is called "botcha" or double dead meat and while it can be easily recognised from the looks and smell of it, It disgusts me that these suppliers are still selling them for consumption.

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Add me to the list of people disgusted by the factory farm meat industry. I am pretty much a vegetarian now, and the only way I could see actually regularly cooking meat regularly is if I went with local, ethically raised meat.

20. I'll admit, I eat meat. However, that doesn't mean that the animals should be treated inhumanely.

I've heard of reports that KFC tortured their chickens by slamming them against the walls and cutting off their claws and beaks. That's why I don't go there anymore.

There's actually a chicken slaughterhouse just five blocks down the street from my house and I've heard that it has caught some trouble from animal-rights groups in my neighborhood for intentionally severing their limbs incompletely while they're still alive. I've heard that how you do it in Vietnam to keep the chicken intact and drain the blood as well.